Tour de France

Best sports event of 2010 ?

14 messages
22/07/2010 at 20:22

Although I'm basically a "once a year" cycling fan,I have found this year's Tour absolutely gripping.The cat-and-mouse battle between Contador and Schleck (2 outstanding riders at the peak of their powers) has been great to watch and today's final mountain stage was the best sporting action I've seen this year.

As well as the head-to-head for the yellow jersey,there has also been a great battle for the Green jersey,featuring Mark Cavendish against Hushovd and others and a really gutsy performance from Bradley Wiggins to hang in there despite being well short of his form last year.

Credit also to ITV for a consistently brilliant evening highlights programme.

22/07/2010 at 20:30

I agree, it's been a great tour but I think Brad was found to be very wanting (as he's the first to admit) and Cav hasn't really put up much challenge to Hushovd.  The interest for me has been some fantastic breaks from a number of different riders, a good fight for the green jersey between Hushovd and Petacchi and the cat and mouse between Schleck and Contador.

22/07/2010 at 20:33
I like the lycra clad bottoms and Cavendish has gorgeous eyelashes
22/07/2010 at 20:34
Plenty of other bottoms on display near the end of today's stage.... not clad by lycra or anything else for that matter.
22/07/2010 at 20:51
I missed that Graham, I just watch the ITV 4 highlights show .
22/07/2010 at 21:03
They're as hard to avoid as bare beer-bellies at a Newcastle United match. And about as attractive
Edited: 22/07/2010 at 21:04
22/07/2010 at 22:48
For me, Stage 3 was Paris-Roubaix in miniature, and it was spectacular as the race got broken apart on the pavé.
23/07/2010 at 09:54
Highlight for me was Cavendish's response to Mark Renshaw being set home; 'I'll miss him in the bedroom' he said before quickly correcting himself to say that he'll miss him as a room-mate. Was great to see him properly laugh and have all the press chuckling too.
Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
23/07/2010 at 09:56
Scotty. wrote (see)
Highlight for me was Cavendish's response to Mark Renshaw being set home; 'I'll miss him in the bedroom'

The things a lead out man has to do

23/07/2010 at 10:00

self moderated for being terribly rude. apologies to anyone who read my smutty rambling

Edited: 23/07/2010 at 10:28
23/07/2010 at 17:33
Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
Scotty. wrote (see)
Highlight for me was Cavendish's response to Mark Renshaw being set home; 'I'll miss him in the bedroom'

The things a lead out man has to do

Scotty, I missed your smutty ramblings but did laugh when cavendish said that
23/07/2010 at 19:24
watched this on tv sometimes try the tour of Holme moss that road is steep and I mean steep
24/07/2010 at 00:22

Another stage victory for Mark Cavendish.

He's not there to win the Tour outright ,but in a full-on sprint finish he's phenomenal and doesn't get the credit he deserves for  genuinely being the best in the world at what he does.

If he was French,Italian or Spanish etc,he would be a national superstar.

WR
24/07/2010 at 07:16
Have watched the tdf since Stephen Roche's win in 1987 and love it, the itv4 coverage is great this year and i just can't get enough of the mountain stages. Still think that Bradley Wiggens is over-rated but maybe that's just me!!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
14 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.