Traumatised by a horror film as a child...

Were you...?

41 to 60 of 62 messages
25/10/2012 at 20:24

No, I don't believe in ghosts now.

25/10/2012 at 20:34

But you did at 16? ok

25/10/2012 at 20:59
Bruce C wrote (see)

One more thing that really did scare me, and still does to this date ....

the faceless nun in the rocking chair in the old Armchair Thriller series !! 

Rickster wrote (see)
seren nos wrote (see)

Tales of the unexpected did it for me

The one about the screaming trees that could feel pain. Argh!

I'd forgotten about both of those. I won't be able to sleep tonight now.

What about the one where you drove through a mist to a village where everyone was zombie-fied and had bad teeth and you couldn't get out. At the end, they managed to escape and stopped a police car to ask for help and the policeman smiled and he had bad teeth... My mum thought it was funny but I was afraid to go to bed. 

I'm a total scardey cat. I went to the cinema to see a horror film a few years ago and ended up sitting with my jacket over my head 'cos I didn't want to look.

I don't believe in ghosts but films about them scare the crap out of me. I'm scared of the dark unless I manage to pull myself together. It's an effort.

25/10/2012 at 21:10
I was traumatised by "Die Hard 2"

Probably not so much the film itself, as the fact that Jimmy Saville took me to see it...
seren nos    pirate
25/10/2012 at 21:12
Azacaya wrote (see)
Bruce C wrote (see)

One more thing that really did scare me, and still does to this date ....

the faceless nun in the rocking chair in the old Armchair Thriller series !! 

Rickster wrote (see)
seren nos wrote (see)

Tales of the unexpected did it for me

The one about the screaming trees that could feel pain. Argh!

I'd forgotten about both of those. I won't be able to sleep tonight now.

What about the one where you drove through a mist to a village where everyone was zombie-fied and had bad teeth and you couldn't get out. At the end, they managed to escape and stopped a police car to ask for help and the policeman smiled and he had bad teeth... My mum thought it was funny but I was afraid to go to bed. 

I'm a total scardey cat. I went to the cinema to see a horror film a few years ago and ended up sitting with my jacket over my head 'cos I didn't want to look.

I don't believe in ghosts but films about them scare the crap out of me. I'm scared of the dark unless I manage to pull myself together. It's an effort.

now i'm going to be remembering the mist and the bad teeth all night .....thanks

25/10/2012 at 21:16

I used to read a lot of Stephen King as a child but then had to follow it up with a chapter of Enid Blyton before I could go to sleep.

25/10/2012 at 21:18
Enid Blyton could be quite traumatising too! Good old racist sexist xenophobia
25/10/2012 at 22:00
lardarse wrote (see)

But you did at 16? ok

Fuck off shit breath.

25/10/2012 at 22:36

Threads

Don't know if anyone remembers this, basically it's about nuclear war and the aftereffects.  It was released in the early 80's and scared the living shit out of anyone who's seen it

Trust me, if you've seen this....you won't have forgotten it!!

25/10/2012 at 22:51

What scared the cr*p out of me as a child was watching The 100 lives of Black Jack Savage...When the snarks came for him (creatures that can transport Jack to Hell through an entrance at the base of the tree where he was originally hanged), I could not bear to watch it. I can still hear the high pitched shrieking of these horrific creatures. I don't understand how Walt Disney thought it was suitable for children!

For those of you who fancy learning more, visit Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_100_Lives_of_Black_Jack_Savage

26/10/2012 at 06:21
kittenkat wrote (see)

Anyone remember Sapphire and Steel? The one when they couldn't get out of the nursery and there was one about a petrol station.

yep, Joanna Lumley and David McCallum. strange SF concept of them playing time travelling entities with elemental traits?

seren nos    pirate
26/10/2012 at 07:57
Crispybug wrote (see)

Threads

Don't know if anyone remembers this, basically it's about nuclear war and the aftereffects.  It was released in the early 80's and scared the living shit out of anyone who's seen it

Trust me, if you've seen this....you won't have forgotten it!!

I remmeber the cartoon one.when the wind blows ... raymond briggs............the snowman  but so sad and poignant.........

seren nos    pirate
26/10/2012 at 07:58

Huffety puffety Ringstone Round. 
If you lose your hat it will never be found, 
So pull up your britches right up to your chin, 
And fasten your cloak with a bright new pin, 
And when you are ready, then we can begin, 
Huffity, puffity puff!

thisis fromthe quatermass prodution that the bbc did in 1979............i still remmebr the song and how certain people were all set on gathering in onwe place to disappear

26/10/2012 at 09:25
I'll see your "don't play on the train tracks", and raise it with a "spirit of dark and lonely water"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg6IVUvVsAs
26/10/2012 at 09:37

man, that ghost watch on bbc, i was 13.. scared the crap outta me.

gingerfurball    pirate
26/10/2012 at 10:13

The Village of The Damned (the original not that crap one that Christopher Reeves was in...that was only scary as it was so bad!!)

There was an episode of Dr Who that particularly scared me as a child (I've mentioned this one before and no one remembers it) but it had something to do with a little rubber doll...they found it "struggling in the curtains!!" *shivers*

I do seem to remember watching a lot of Dr Who from behind the sofa 

26/10/2012 at 13:19

The Incredible Hulk - the TV episodes, not the more recent film.

I could watch the programme up to when I could see him change and then after he'd changed I was also fine, but for the actual changing part, I had to hide behind the chair. Man, that bit scared the heck out of me.

26/10/2012 at 13:22

I remember Village of the Damned. 

I used to have a colleague who had pictures of her kids on her desk. 

They all looked like the Midwich children

26/10/2012 at 17:44

I remamber being really scared by a mid 60's episode of "The Avengers" where a gigantic bird of prey (it actually turned out to be a mad scientist disguised as one, but I didn't know that at the time) scaled the walls of buildings, smashed windows and clawed various unsuspecting victims to death. It gave me nightmares for days !

At around the same time, I also used to find an american sci-fi series called "Lost in space" very scary at times. Unless I'm imaging it, I seem to remember that one of the original "Star Trek" episodes was deemed so disturbing, it was never repeated (but I may be mixing it up with something else).

Crispybug - I think you mean a drama called "Threads" that was screened around about the mid-80's. It was about the after-effects of a nuclear bomb on a large UK city (Sheffield I think) and was actually very,very good indeed.

26/10/2012 at 18:39

I remember seeing Threads in the 80's, think I was about 15 at the time. Pretty shocking, and no wonder they have never re-shown it. Next day in school everyone was talking about it, I think a bit like the 80's Aids campaign it scared the sh!t out of a lot of us, thinking we were all about to die at any minute!! I remember the first class at school next morning was Maths, and the teacher had to spend about 45mins having a big debate about Nuclear War, and his message was basically, 'Well try to live for the day because it could happen at any time....but in the meantime you lot are not getting out of your maths homework'!!

41 to 60 of 62 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.