Twitter: Am I missing something or a lucky escape?

1 to 20 of 34 messages
21/11/2012 at 06:41

Twitter.

That's talking to yourself on a phone isn't it?

And from the trouble its caused to some players, from the song 'Losing my Religion', "Oh no, I've said too much"

21/11/2012 at 07:48

its good to use for following things like your fav sports teams or comedians etc who often post inside updates for games/tour dates etc, its a fantastic bulletin board. but quite why anyone thinks the world needs to know or care that they hate their job and that the buicuit tin is empty again...i'll never know. i have never tweeted. just use it for the 1st reason i gave.

21/11/2012 at 07:51

Should be called twatter

21/11/2012 at 08:27
kittenkat wrote (see)

I'm not on Twitter, nor have I any plans to be.

However, it's obviously huge and we all know with that comes good and bad. I just seem to hear about the bad though, is it just a big bitchfest outweighing the good stuff?

You are on Twitter, you're just not using it

Dark Vader    pirate
21/11/2012 at 08:53

I think for some people its an obsessive need to tell anyone who will listen about every minute of their life...  when I first signed up to twitter I started to 'follow' loads of friends, family and business people..    gradually I thinned it out and now am very selective...

Its great for instant news or updates on my business subjects and professional aspects.  Its also great for instant updates on various sports events...   I also follow my favorite radio station and programmes.  That can be fun.

Its rubbish when people feel the need to bitch or to say 'just going out to get some more bread, won't be long'...

21/11/2012 at 08:54

It's like a sms update service but public rather than private. If you're interested in the kind of stuff that Marc S mentions then it's great.

But why anyone would want to tweet what they had for dinner or want to "interact" with some celebrity beats me.

So to sum up - could be useful to scan but not to reply to.

Dark Vader    pirate
21/11/2012 at 08:55

Actually.. the same can be said about facebook..   some people use it obsessively... others are more selective...   

21/11/2012 at 08:55

We have to follow a Twatter feed at work. I got told off for signing us up to follow the RSPB. I just thought it appropriate to get tweets from ... oh never mind.

21/11/2012 at 09:10

You are not missing much KK - I have sent the grand total of one tweet to a person who hadn't given me any other way of contacting them. The good points Marc S mentions are more than outweighed by those bad ones that DV does - it's mostly verbal incontinence.

21/11/2012 at 09:12

you get out what you put in.

if you don't tweet you are unlikely to enjoy it much.

i like it but do not enjoy facebook, which is more needy. twitter is for fun and information and less invasive.

Edited: 21/11/2012 at 09:12
WiB
21/11/2012 at 09:32

I use it and like it. A lot of ultras have people updating on twitter along with photos and time splits etc. If I am out I can keep an eye on reguler updates for MotoGP, F1 etc. It is a handy way to just catch quick updates and info.

You don't have to say... tweet... anything at all to use it.

Some people do the same as you get on facebook "I am going shopping" "I have just eaten a kit kat"... just don't "follow" them, because they are probably a loon who probably walks around in the 3D world narrating their own life

WiB
21/11/2012 at 09:56

Depends how you use it and who you follow. I find it quite useful and haven't had a negative experience so far.

At least any bitching and bullying is limited to 140 characters!

21/11/2012 at 10:16

The only reason I'm on there at all is because certain organisations use it as one of their preferred media for keeping people in touch with regular updates.  (Will there be a session running this morning at Herne Hill velodrome after last night's rain?, that sort of thing.)

I keep the inane social chit-chat guff for facebook, although even there I think I have pretty good quality control.  People keep asking me if my Soup of the Week feature will start coming with recipes. 

Nurse Ratched    pirate
21/11/2012 at 10:16
21/11/2012 at 10:25

I don't tweet or follow anyone/thing. 

Even if I wanted to, I have an antique mobile phone which only does calls and texts!

I barely do facebook either.

21/11/2012 at 10:26
Life is full of weird and wonderful people. I'm only friends with people on FaceBook that I'm friends with in real life. If someone posts that they're having a kit kat then I know why they're posting they're having a kit kat.

Twitter? Seems you can follow anyone. It seems to me follow is the active word. If you followed me around in real life you would see some strange things.

The media has been self obsessed for a long while now. Twitter is just an extension of the media.

There are plenty of forums around where the same people are continually posting their views. I don't know these people personally either so have no idea why they in particular are airing their views. Which is a kind of ironic statement to write here. But then if I share someone's view on a forum maybe I might want to meet them.

Don't even get started on people who create blogs and websites containing material already available.

It's a tool like any other to be used wisely or abused.
21/11/2012 at 10:27
Nurse Ratched wrote (see)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1DPRmprB7Q

Very funny 

21/11/2012 at 11:07

Twitter is good for keeping up with sports news/breaking news when you aren't near a PC as it takes seconds to load and if you have friends that use it (it has an email attached to it too) similar to texting, but free. I think it is really what you make it. If you want to know what Cheryl Cole thinks of the yogurt she has just eaten then you can fill your boots but you can just pick to follow things that are relevant to you.

21/11/2012 at 11:08

i miss sally bercow so much

21/11/2012 at 19:04

I run the twitter account for my cycling club - I keep it to club news and no personal opinions on anythingi- its quite quiet - I don't want it personally although now I am doing it for the club I can see the benefit to follow clubs and events etc. 

1 to 20 of 34 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.