Ultra-sensitivity to NOISE

does it affect you?

21 to 40 of 74 messages
09/02/2011 at 12:05
There's a difference between nice, well-kept, respectable kids and grotty, skanky brats - the former being well-raised, the latter being dragged up.
09/02/2011 at 12:45

We pretty much had a borderline social services case living next door for a while.

The mother would rarely speak to her little girl unless she was shouting at it, the child would have the most Godawful tantrums and the mother would shout at her even more and so it went on.

As far as I could tell the toddler was just trying to be a normal toddler given the constaints of a situation where, whatever she did, she was told to stop doing it and was cooped up indoors most of the time. Clearly the noise and mischief of a small child was disrupting her mother's selfish life.

Thankfuly they moved out after a few months.

As for the answer to yuor queston - I love peace and quiet,  me.

09/02/2011 at 12:48
Mmmmmmmmmmm silence
09/02/2011 at 12:50
Yes... I hate it. I had a next door neighbour who would whistle the same tune whilst he was in his garden, day after day... after day. Always the same tempo, always the same trill, always the same four bars.

I was working and moved my office to the front of the house... still could hear him. I shut all the windows in 30 degree heat... still heard him. I played music loudly, but as soon as I turned it off it was still there...

It got so I could hear him even when he wasn't whistling, in the dead of night or whilst I was running... even when I was 2000 miles away on holiday

One day he went missing, just disappeared off the face of the Earth, never left a note or any indication of where he was going to.

But if I go down to the garden shed, and place my ear to the floorboards... I still hear a faint whistle... it seems to be coming from about six foot underground.
09/02/2011 at 12:58
09/02/2011 at 13:03

I'm actually surprised by the response on this thread - I genuinely thought I would be the only one and everyone would be like, they're just normal everyday noises.. get over it!

09/02/2011 at 13:13

I almost ran for Mayor of London just so that I could ban the beeping that happens when the doors close on a DLR train.

WHY SO FUCKING LOUD??!?!?!!

*rocks slowly in chair...*

09/02/2011 at 13:14
I'm fantastically intolerant to noise. Even the noise at home of the cat licking itself winds me up.
Stop slurping and learn to lick your fur quietly!!!
I swear it does it on purpose.
Edited: 09/02/2011 at 13:16
09/02/2011 at 13:17

ha well done D2D you have started a grea thread

boy racers whose cars actually shake when they go down the road as their music is too loud actually no it isnt music its just a loud thumping sound.

why do people have their windows open going along the road its freezing cold and i dont want to listen to the music ur playing as i am happily walking home to my beat

09/02/2011 at 13:26

I get annoyed by my OH when he eats his tea too loudly!

Chomp chomp chomp.......... aaaaaaaargh

Let's make a definitive annoying noises list:

Car alarms
Public transport doors
Dogs/cats
Kids
Cinema volume
TV volume
Loud people in general
Loud people on phones
Loud people eating loudly
Thumping whir of a treadmill belt coupled with a heavy plodder
Boy racers and their crap music blaring out of their crap cars
Whistling/humming

Feel free to add your own.... once we have a good solid list, we can prioritise the severity of the annoyances

Edited: 09/02/2011 at 13:28
09/02/2011 at 13:27
Americans.
09/02/2011 at 14:02

My friend's boyfriend chomps loudly when he eats - it makes me want to strangle him.  I know this because they often invite me round for food - she is a great cook.  Double-edged sword.

I also hate really loud message notification bleeps on mobile 'phones.  Someone here at work has their notifications set to quadraphonic inane bleep.

PloddingOn    pirate
09/02/2011 at 14:04
Please amend "Loud people..." to "People in General"
09/02/2011 at 14:06

Car alarms
Public transport doors
Dogs/cats
Kids
Cinema volume
TV volume
Loud people in general
Loud people on phones
Loud people eating loudly
Thumping whir of a treadmill belt coupled with a heavy plodder
Boy racers and their crap music blaring out of their crap cars
Whistling/humming

filing nails

09/02/2011 at 14:13

Another one: people who perform excavations in their mouth after they've been eating, in front of you!  I hate this.  It's disgusting.  Go to the bathroom and use dental floss.

OK - it's not a noise exactly, but if they suck their fingers afterwards, there's that horrible sucking, lip-smacking noise.

09/02/2011 at 14:29

The only noise tht really annoys me is other people eating. Unless I'm eating at the same time...not sure why that makes a difference but it's probably because I'm distracted by it. My boyfriends jaw clicks sometimes while he eats and the sound goes right through me...I've been temped to break his jaw in the hope that the click goes away weh fixed  

Other noises don't bother me so much. Maybe because I've always lived in cities so I'm used to background noises. I also think the more you get annoyed by things you can't control (like noise) the more you notice it, and so the more you get annoyed by it and so on.

09/02/2011 at 14:31
Parklife wrote (see)

Someone here at work has their notifications set to quadraphonic inane bleep.

My heart skipped a beat when I read 'quadraphonic' - I thought someone had stole the title of my novel, 'Quadchromatic'

It's about a girl who is born with 4 colour receptors instead of the usual 3 and the whole story is themed around what colours the world and there's a load of symbolic crap about rainbows and stuff.

Deep

PloddingOn    pirate
09/02/2011 at 14:32

You know that error noise you get on a PC - when an error pops up?  It happens only once but there seems to be a twit in my office who gets a constant stream of them

Doodledoo

Doodledoo

Doodledoo

Oh and then people ring and think that the reason someone isn't answering their phone is because you aren't RINGING ENOUGH

Grrrrrrrrrrrr

09/02/2011 at 14:32

Back to the topic though... there's a woman at work with a really nasty voice.

She has an accent (I'm not saying what as I may offend someone) and it is just such a horrible voice. Really gritty and masculine. And she looks like a witch.

PloddingOn    pirate
09/02/2011 at 14:35

The Pigeon laughs like a cartoon character

Kyuck kyuck kyuck

And LOUDLY

21 to 40 of 74 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.