Ultra-sensitivity to NOISE

does it affect you?

1 to 20 of 75 messages
09/02/2011 at 10:19

Why do some people talk SO LOUDLY?

It is so annoying - and so unnecessary!!!

God alone knows how people get these booming voices.

Do they have mega-phones instead of vocal chords?

I for one, am easily irritated by this.

Not only in the workplace - it's hard to concentrate when there's some moron mouthing off across the office, but at home too - screaming kids next door and constantly yap-yap-yapping dogs. It's an absolute nightmare.

I've actually come to realise that either the entire world is deaf or I have ultra-sensitive hearing... for example, I don't like going to the cinema anymore since I think it's too loud and I regularly have to get my OH to turn down the TV as what's 'normal' for him sounds ear-shattering to me..

Surely I can't be the only one affected by this..

09/02/2011 at 10:43
I have high sensitivity to things like SMS tones, people tapping their feet, Windows notification sounds, people eating/drinking and so on. I've had it since I was a child. It causes stress, rather than discomfort.

The volume is so high at the cinema to drown the sound of idiots talking and eating popcorn.

I occasionally end up sharing the elevator with a girl who works in a call centre in our building. If I'm lucky she's quiet, and quite easy to look at (rather chavvy, but well-shaped). If I'm unlucky she'll be on her phone. It must be a side effect of working in a call centre, but she is, IMO, shouting in to the phone.
09/02/2011 at 10:44

That's two of us then - I am not alone.

We should start a club. A really quiet club.

09/02/2011 at 10:56

*Tiptoes in*

I find the volume on most of my friends' and family members' teles is far too loud and I have to ask them to turn it down if they've got it on when I go round.

My ex used to have his music in the car really loud and we'd be talking.  I used to keep turning it down after shouting (over the volume) "I'm feel like I'm in competition with the stereo."  I love having loud music on in the car (and singing at the top of my voice ) when I'm on my own, but not when there are others in the car.

PloddingOn    pirate
09/02/2011 at 11:05

I have high sensitivity to things like SMS tones, people tapping their feet, Windows notification sounds, people eating/drinking and so on. I've had it since I was a child. It causes stress, rather than discomfort.

I have this as well - just annoying noises.  My camera beeps when I press buttons or keypad tones.  I have become aware of them and they annoy me when I hear them.

Lemme play a good song in my car and I'll belt it out as loud as my stereo will go

09/02/2011 at 11:07

I just find it hard to believe how people can not be affected by noise.....

I'm not sure whether those people who seem blasé about the fact that X is making such a bloody racket are just pretending or whether they are just so chilled out that it doesn't bother them?

PloddingOn    pirate
09/02/2011 at 11:10

I have a lady at work who is AWFUL - I have named her "The Pigeon" as a result of her constant noises and carrying disease into work.

She chews loudly, taps, hums, talks to herself...I really could smash her in the face. Thankfully, she moved to the other side of our office else we would have had a blood problem

09/02/2011 at 11:14
Yes, I'm pretty sensitive to noise, especially anything high pitched. MS thinks the sound of kids laughing is wonderful - it gets me grinding my teeth in frustration!
09/02/2011 at 11:17
since having two young kids i find i am fairly oblivious to noise these days.
09/02/2011 at 11:18

PO - She sounds really annoying. There is a man at my work - who thank GOD is only in occasionally - I have named him 'Shouty McShoutson' - he likes to TALK REALLY LOUDLY into the phone.

I actually had to purposefully bring my iPod in when I went home for lunch the other day to drown him out. His whole presence is just an annoyance. When he gets here at 8.35am, I know it's going to be one lonnnnnnnng day...

09/02/2011 at 11:19
PloddingOn wrote (see)

I have a lady at work who is AWFUL - I have named her "The Pigeon" as a result of her constant noises and carrying disease into work.

hahaha

I particulalry hate loud eating noises and sniffing argh! I have to trvale on the train quiote a bit and at this time of year everyone is sniffing and coughing I am always turning the tv music down - I am amazed at how loud some people have music on their ipods...I don't like being able to hear that on the train either *grump*

09/02/2011 at 11:21

OMG i am so glad i am not the only one who get mightily peeved with the people that talk so bloody loud!!! i have 2 ladies in the office who try to outdo each other on the phones in the office and also they have got really irritating laughs!!!!

my mother insists on speaking loud on the phone to me unless i whisper because hubby is asleep and then she whispers back which annoys me further as she has no need to whisper

09/02/2011 at 11:22

So pleased I'm not the only one!!!

09/02/2011 at 11:28

+1 for everything you've mentioned.

Constant loud noises are fine, in situations where that's what your focus is on - like a gig or the cinema or music in my car when I'm on my own.

But it's intrusive noises that are hugely annoying.

I'll go into my parent's house and their TV is so loud, you can't talk over it.

People talking unnecessarily loudly on the phone - annoying as hell.

And it's not just loud noises - people eating, phones beeping, dripping taps - all fairly quiet, but absolutely do my head in !

I'm working at home today... the dishwasher has been sloshing away quite loudly for the past half hour and it's not bothered me at all, but every 10 minutes or so next door dog (who stays outside during the day) has a yapping fit at the neighbourhood cats and I'm ready to strangle it !

09/02/2011 at 11:31
Slugsta wrote (see)
Yes, I'm pretty sensitive to noise, especially anything high pitched. MS thinks the sound of kids laughing is wonderful - it gets me grinding my teeth in frustration!

Oh god yes... Kids laughing... and kid's voices in general... awful !
Edited: 09/02/2011 at 11:32
09/02/2011 at 11:43

I had not focused on kids on this thread because I feared the 'every child is adorable' brigade would be out and shoot me down for being anti-children.

I do find them INCREDIBLY annoying though. Some are ok.... even cute when they are behaving themselves......but others are an absolute NUISANCE. Plus, with the really bad ones, they remind you of their god-awful parents too - like miniature forms of the people you can't stand.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!!!!!!!

09/02/2011 at 11:45
noisy kids when I am having my skinny latte coffee shop moment...argh!!!
09/02/2011 at 11:47
I wear earplugs in the cinema and can still hear everything. I've never been able to tolerate loud music, even when I was a teenager. Mr Slug has a habit of smacking his lips when he's driving - I swear I'll kill him one day 
09/02/2011 at 11:48

In fact, I recall a particular episode last summer.....

I was at the end of my tether having endured an entire season of SCREAMING KIDS waking me up every bloody morning (seriously - even before I get up - which is usually at 6.35am). The thing is, they are PAST the age of knowing better - their mother lets them out into the garden to basically scream their heads off.

I couldn't keep the windows shut because it was so hot so every morning, like clockwork, they'd wake me and my partner up. So I got up and slammed the windows shut in protest. I then sent a (polite) note to the parents next door requesting they kept it down - no response or change. So I then logged the noise on a council noise pollution form and officially reported them.

Aaaaaaaaaanyway, that's not even what I was going to initially moan about...

One afternoon, I was sat drying my hair - a lovely sunny day outside - I was having a good hair day too so a real win-win. Then all of a sudden, I smell smoke...... nothing is on fire but something equally disastrous..... next door is having a BBQ. Of course, the children can't enjoy the BBQ like regular children....... they have to scream... and scream... and scream. The thing is, I don't think they were even miserable or in pain - they were just screaming because, as children, apparently that's what they do.

Even worse (possibly the worst actually) was their mother (who is thick as two planks) kept sayinig to her son: 'Edward, do you want a sausage? Do you want a sausage, Edward?' - literally every 30 seconds - in that really annoying, dumb 'I'm speaking to a child' voice.

Edited: 09/02/2011 at 11:50
PloddingOn    pirate
09/02/2011 at 11:56

If we screamed, we got thumped.  We weren't allowed to scream

I hope I never get attacked because I still don't scream.  I don't even yelp in a high pitched female way.  

I hate it when women think it's cutesey or cool to scream.  Just about as annoying as children screaming.

1 to 20 of 75 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.