Unassuming food finds that turn out to be delicious!

1 to 20 of 23 messages
kittenkat    pirate
20/06/2012 at 09:33

Ok, go into the supernmarket that doesn't rhyme with Mesco and is the colour of a fruit, in the freezer section: 2 slow cooked pork shanks in peppercorn sauce. Only 3 quid and absolutely gorgeous.

But don't microwave, oven cook.

kittenkat    pirate
20/06/2012 at 09:35

Also Salt & Vinegar peanuts are probably something you would probably skip over, but they're yum.

20/06/2012 at 09:42

I have a problem with food that is too cheap - and £3 for 2 shanks is too cheap imho.   you have to question the quality, the husbandry, and the overall production chain that can knock out food that cheap

OK - it maybe a promotional offer, but if that's their standard price, I wouldn't buy it.

sure, for a lot of people where money is tight it offers a tasty product at a good price but it's not for me.

as for unassuming foods - Lidl greek yoghurt is delish and inexpensive.  not quite as good as the Total stuff but as value for money, excellent

kittenkat    pirate
20/06/2012 at 09:51

Funnily when I posted I did wonder if anyone would pick up on the history of the meat, of which of course I don't know. Also though don't supermarkets subsidise some products? The prices may be reflective of the bigger marketing picture, not an individual product?

Dunno...

20/06/2012 at 09:57

as I said, it maybe a promotional item to get people to buy other things but that's unusual in the freezer section unless there is banner or poster advertising about in the store somewhere.   people tend not to go rooting around in freezers for deals for obvious reasons unless they are looking for something specific.

freezer products will often come from the country of production as they can be shipped in refrigerated containers - so in this case, the Far East I guess

kittenkat    pirate
20/06/2012 at 09:58

No it wasn't on offer, don't put me off I'm having it for lunch!

Damn, I'm going to see where it's from now....

kittenkat    pirate
20/06/2012 at 10:00

Produced in the Republic of Ireland using German and Danish pork

20/06/2012 at 10:03

mega production factory using questionably produced pork stuffed full of growth enhancers.....

kittenkat    pirate
20/06/2012 at 10:06

lalalalalalalala I'm not listening....

ok here's a question, where do you think the meat in everyone's favourite Chinese/Indian takeaways comes from.

I never quite get people who insist on buying happy meat for their own cooking but don't follow that through and never question restaurant food.

However I do concede that that would be slightly impractical unless one had very strong views on the subject and their own personal consumption.

20/06/2012 at 10:22
kittenkat wrote (see)

lalalalalalalala I'm not listening....

ok here's a question, where do you think the meat in everyone's favourite Chinese/Indian takeaways comes from.

I never quite get people who insist on buying happy meat for their own cooking but don't follow that through and never question restaurant food.

However I do concede that that would be slightly impractical unless one had very strong views on the subject and their own personal consumption.

a lot of restuarant food does come from cheap production methods - that's well known.  and I guess the purchaser needs to question their own ethics on whether to buy or not.  

and in the old days, when inspection was lax, much of what Chinese and Indian restaurants passed off as chicken was in fact rabbit.  when it's coated in a rich sauce, the bland taste of farmed rabbit can taste and look very much like cheap chicken.   I have no problem eating rabbit - it's a very good underused and underrated meat - wild especially

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
20/06/2012 at 10:32

Had a wild rabbit terrine at the weekend

I would prefer not to eat meat rtaher than "supermarket" pre-packaged

20/06/2012 at 10:41
fat buddha wrote (see)

I have a problem with food that is too cheap - and £3 for 2 shanks is too cheap imho.   you have to question the quality, the husbandry, and the overall production chain that can knock out food that cheap

My view, too.  I won't touch the £2-something chicken in the supermarket that does rhyme with Mesco.  A chicken that cheap can't have had a good life.

Years ago I used to buy supermarket chickens, but I stopped when I found that most of them seemed to have a broken bone or two.  That suggests careless handling and/or poor nutrition if they have particularly weak bones.

I very, very rarely eat takeaway food, and very rarely eat out.  Mainly because there aren't many restaurants around where I live other than takeaways!

20/06/2012 at 11:38
I believe Gordon Ramsey called it "shit in a bag" and found some restaurants charging ??15 for it.
20/06/2012 at 11:43
Thats 15 pounds not 15 question marks as RW changes my pound sign into
kittenkat    pirate
20/06/2012 at 11:51

FB and Dave, come to the farm, you can eat as many bunnies as you can catch, they are absolutely everywhere at the moment.

Mixi in 10...9...8...7...6...

20/06/2012 at 11:55

Supper....   12 bore at the ready

kittenkat    pirate
20/06/2012 at 11:58

There's pheasants and wood pigeons too but it's not the season. It's not deer shooting season either otherwise you could fill your freezer up.

bunnybunnybunny pie it is!

20/06/2012 at 12:00

rabbit terrine at the weekend was superb.....

Do a warm pigeon breast salad with black pudding and marmalade dressing....   

Is it lunch time yet ????

kittenkat    pirate
20/06/2012 at 12:05

I love pigeon. Not black pudding though!

20/06/2012 at 13:10

That sounds good, Dave!

I have to go a long way to get my hands on game   Even though wood pigeons nested in the tree outside my kitchen window!

1 to 20 of 23 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.