UNIX and Linux

Quick Q ...

41 to 58 of 58 messages
The Evil Pixie    pirate
07/08/2006 at 21:16
this is another reason why I love this forum!!

It's not just runners it's a bunch of helpful and friendly folks happy to help in any way they can!
07/08/2006 at 21:30
Some function/command either produces some actual results, or alternatively the response "N/A" for not applicable or something. This function is checking for this anomalous result. A real unix programmer would ensure the command returned no output and an exit code that reflected that so that it could be tested for in a script. Database programmers or windows programmers would probably output "sorry fred, but couldn't find anything" instead, so you'd have to write a special case for each program...

The Evil Pixie    pirate
07/08/2006 at 21:34
these are database programmers!!

Just scanned the document further and they use awk later!

You are really helpful foo bar! Thank you!!
Mwah!!
The Evil Pixie    pirate
08/08/2006 at 07:47
right today I will be going through the doc in a less formal way ... getting a basic understanding of everything without looking at every switch.
Once I have done that I will look harder at the code 'cos that was fun!!
I won't have time to look at ever line before tomorrow evening!

I still expect to ask some questions mind!
The Evil Pixie    pirate
08/08/2006 at 09:21
Given:

EMAIL_TEXT=/tmp/all_refresh$$
touch ${EMAIL_TEXT}
chmod 700 ${EMAIL_TEXT}

create an empty file called email_text and set the read/write/execute properties for the owner only?
08/08/2006 at 09:26
it creates an empty file called /tmp/all_refreshNNNNN where NNNNN is the current process id (try echo $$ at the command line) so that it has a roughly unique name. It then changes the permission as you say. However, it's an insecure way of doing this for various reasons.
The Evil Pixie    pirate
08/08/2006 at 09:31
cool!
The next bit is a case statement that adds various text to this file so that makes perfect sense; file is then e-mailed somewhere!
Cool!
The Evil Pixie    pirate
08/08/2006 at 10:07
does the fi in the following example imply the end of the IF statement?

if [[ $NO_OF_ATTEMPTS = $WAIT_RETRIES ]]
then
core_check_for_error 1 "Script stopped as number of retries ($WAIT_RETRIES) exceeded"
fi
The Evil Pixie    pirate
08/08/2006 at 10:42
and ....

while [[ ${OLD_DATE} -eq ${NEW_DATE} ]]

what does the -eq mean?
The Evil Pixie    pirate
08/08/2006 at 10:44
have located that the fi is the end of the IF and that they esac is the end of case!!

I think that -eq is the same as equal to as in checking that the old date is the same as the new date

Is this right?
08/08/2006 at 12:10
yes, you've got the if/fi and case/esac right. [[ is actually a builtin command used for conditional expressions. If you have a linux box for example, you could type "man bash" and then search for -eq using /-eq. So -eq is an arithmetic comparison operator.
The Evil Pixie    pirate
08/08/2006 at 12:12
thanks!!!
The Evil Pixie    pirate
09/08/2006 at 09:24
well today is the day!
Last minute checking and confirming and making sure I have some good notes as my voice is going!!
interview at 5.30
other person is in tomorrow so will know Friday
So hope I get this!
Thanks for all your help!
The Evil Pixie    pirate
10/08/2006 at 07:36
All my notes I made these last few helped so thanks for everything guys!!

I remembered what foo bar said about improving the grep -i to use the -q switch and not /dev/null and that went down well!! Made a point that they might update the script!
Was very quick, about an hour, because I had written down and told them most of the things they were going to ask me! Had to write it down as my voice was flanky and I thought it was going to go!!!
seeing the other chap tonight so should know friday
either way I know I need a new job and something to challenge me - I've had so much fun actually working!!
The Evil Pixie    pirate
11/08/2006 at 13:43
Got the Job!!
Thanks guys!
12/08/2006 at 16:15

Excellent, Sorted !
13/08/2006 at 17:09
well done EP, did you get the email i sent you with the sites
13/08/2006 at 17:34
Foo Bar: ROFL to the comment about real unix programmers and exist codes. Ahh, I have so many happy c/unix memories ;-)

Recently, I've wanted to get back into Linux, so this weekend I've been installing Kubuntu on my home PCs. I've a few and was wondering if there is any OS-level software to create a cluster??

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 58 of 58 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.