Unjustifiably expensive and gorgeous pieces of kit that make you go oooh nice:)

You see it you want it you think of ways to buy it but you cant you just cant.

21 to 26 of 26 messages
20/06/2012 at 18:31

Yes but does anyone know you found it, other than us?

21/06/2012 at 16:23
PhilPub wrote (see)

I paid £1k for my bike, which some people thing is a silly amount of money already but as Richard's illustrated above, it really isn't difficult to spend a small family car budget on a bike that most definitely won't make you 9 times faster.

It might be my age but I still hanker for the golden age of bike design when they were all made from skinny steel tubes beautifully welded together. 

I'm certainly not saying I would pay that for a bike, but they are 'if money's no object' bikes

And, of course I agree that they're not that much faster, except uphill - or is that psychological??

Do you know of this site, if not, it will definately interest you!!

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/

As for what I have paid (in the past) for bikes

1990 = (circa) £1,300 for a Pace Research RC100 (well before they started producing suspension forks)

http://retro-pace-mtb.wetpaint.com/

1994 = £1,200 for a Dyna-Tech 755Ti, with a few alterations (Campag Chorus chainset, Ritchey stem & seat-pin/'Flite' saddle/Scott Drop-Ins)
It's now downgraded, & is my work bike/trainer

Edited: 21/06/2012 at 16:25
21/06/2012 at 16:48
Richard A Thackeray wrote (see)

Do you know of this site, if not, it will definately interest you!!

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/

Oh yes!  I was all over this site like a rash earlier this year when I was getting ideas on how to refurb the Ron Cooper.  In fact the only reason I haven't posted up there myself is because I haven't yet been able to get out for a proper ride in the countryside and take lots of lovely pictures of it. 

Considering me and my brothers/mates were all teenagers when we were getting into cycling I think we did pretty well in having some nice shiny equipment without ridiculous financial outlay, probably helped along by the second hand market.  It still cost me nearly three times as much for the renovation as it cost me (OK, my dad) in the first place.  It is 25 years old though.

Nurse Ratched    pirate
21/06/2012 at 17:04
baldbloke wrote (see)

also fancy another ultra-lite Gore Running Wear winter jacket, but unfortunately it's summer.

Is it?  Buy the jacket.

22/06/2012 at 15:40

Not kit related but I thought when I retired I'd get back into photography and maybe even try and sell some pictures. Saw an advert for Leica M9 monochrom (e.g. just takes black and white pictures) Camera body £6100.00 lens £5400.00. That would be divorce as I'd have to remortgage the house and sell myself 

22/06/2012 at 15:59

Yeah but you really want

I think I have one in the house some place.

Edited: 22/06/2012 at 16:02

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 26 of 26 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.