Walkman Inspiration

But what to listen to?

21 to 40 of 54 messages
WildWill    pirate
23/08/2002 at 14:50
If you want to run at the same pace for a hole run – how about a compilation of tracks by:

Status Quo ;o)

Will
23/08/2002 at 15:23
I can recommend:

Blur "on your own" (esp remix on "the beach" ost)
the soundtrack to the movie Pi (strange movies - good music)
One step Closer - Linkin Park
close to the edge - art of noise..

I am lucky enough to have been bought a minidisc player - can thoroughly recommend them as they are jog-resistant and smaller than CD players (but alas not as small as MP3 - but then my machine takes about a week to down load the RW home page - I dont hold out much hope for files over 1MB!)

23/08/2002 at 15:26
can belive we haven't had the theme from rocky yet

eye of the tiger by........survivor

other than that, i've run to music so can't comment.is it any good?
23/08/2002 at 16:11
wwr I find it helps keep me going on longer runs - esp when doing treadmill work.. thinking about it, I use music when I don't have the most stimulating routes to run, or am running laps - haven't needed to use it recently as I have just moved and am discovering a new area...

I also find that when recording something for a run, if I mix up the speed of the music I tend to mix up my pace - again just to keep my interest up.
23/08/2002 at 16:25

On the treadmill at the gym, where you can choose from about a dozen selections they offer, I've found that the Ibiza-type rave music is great. No idea who its by or what its really called but the constant and fast pace really seems to work for me.

But after I've finished running I'd leap for the off switch if it came on my radio.

Ca plane pour moi brought memories flooding back by the way. School discos, bacardi and coke, safety pins in my jeans. What a time. If I was loading up a minidisc now I'd either go for a compilation of early stuff by Jam, Stranglers, Clash or else go completely the other way and fill it with Salsa by someone like Joe Arroyo.
23/08/2002 at 16:29
Waapster, my gym is the same, wouldn't give it air space in my car, but on the tredmill it's great for pace.

I like anything by Madonna (dance stuff especially) or even a bit of Savage Garden (completely different I know!).
23/08/2002 at 18:21
KLF, now there's a rave from the past. Bought it for mini Barkles years ago, it used to make her dance in her room when she thought no-one was looking.
Need to add:-
Boys of summer - Don Henley - great on a November evening.
Olivers Army- Elvis Costello
Fugees - anything from The Score
Australia-The Manics
23/08/2002 at 23:00
The mind boggles at the possibilities!! You could have specific music groups to suit your running length and speed:

200 metres: So Solid Crew: 21 Seconds

Marathon: Res: 700 Mile Situation

General distance run: Supergrass: Moving

Painful run: Massive Attack: Unfinished Sympathy

Seasonal: Earth, Wind and Fire: September

Weather: Aora: Out of the Rain

And so on!

DC
23/08/2002 at 23:17
There is clearly an age issue here.
Dayla is clearly from an age I was too old to visit. Apart from Earth Wind and Fire.

Burce ( yes Burce -apparently his parents mis- spelled his name on his birth certificate)Springsteen - Philadelphia.
24/08/2002 at 00:39
Depending on the pace of the run:

The Cure: A Forest
Joy Division: She's Lost Control
or The Only Mistake
Radiohead: In Limbo

- alternatively, when on the run from hell, Radiohead's "Just" - if only because of the refrain:
"You do it to yourself you do
and that's what really hurts
You do it to yourself you do
you and no-one else
You do it to yourself"
Iron SwissBobby    pirate
24/08/2002 at 07:27
As today is my birthday, a very good friend gave me a pedometer which plays 7 different tunes, and the tempo the the tune is determined by how fast you run!!!

I think this is the new must for all runner. I am itching to give it a try on my long run tomorrow.
24/08/2002 at 07:43
I agree with
The Cure: A Forest
Manics: Australia
But what about:
Haunted When The Minuets Drag [Love & Rockets] For the last few miles of the marathon.
So Alive [Love & Rockets]
The Unforgettable Fire [U2] the whole CD
24/08/2002 at 08:43
Happy Birthday SB

Bat Out of Hell is the classic to run to,together with Born to Run.
24/08/2002 at 09:49
Can't asy I use music when out running the streets, must get that sorted, but for the treadmill, particularly a tough interval session, I tend to opt either for something fairly sort of ambient that I can just get lost in, or alternatively something with lots of energy, which can mean either guitar stuff or some sort of dance stuff. Much of the stuff mentioned above sounds great, a few of my favourites off the gym machine include:

Chemical Brothers - Block Rocking Beat
Ash - Burn Baby Burn (must stop playing air guitar to this at 16kph on the treadmill, it's dangerous!)
U2 - Two Hearts
Nickelback - How you remind me
Planet Funk - Chase the Sun (always reminds me of the Cocteau Twins)
Radiohead are good too, especially a faster one like "Ripcord"

Iain
24/08/2002 at 10:15
Happy Birthday SB!!!

PPK - Resurrection - all three versions of it
The Flash Dance soundtrack
The Miami Vice CD which includes the Damned 'Dulce in Decorum' and Jackson' Browns 'Lives in the Balance' (I used to have this back to back on a cassette in the car with FlashDance and once played them constantly for 5 hours when I was really tired - they got me home - but I'd never listen to them at any other time!)
Anything with a beat of >120
24/08/2002 at 10:55
Happy Birthday SB!

Remember the Sony Walkman? When I first got one in...erm '86..I would run to the whole Graceland album (Paul Simon).
24/08/2002 at 11:41
Many happy returns SB, how many bumps would be in order?
24/08/2002 at 11:55
Happy Birthday SB,
Sorry if it looks like I faild to mention this before but your message was'nt posted when I first looked & included mine. Yet yours is above mine!

How about 'Dead Men Walking'
Ex The Alarm, Mike Peters
Ex The Mighty Wah, Pete Wylie
Ex Sex Pistols, Glen Matlock
Ex Spear Of Destiny, Kirk Brandon
Not music to run to but music to fire you up.
It works for me!!!!!!!
24/08/2002 at 15:09
Hi Barkles,

In the interest of non-fraudulent forum-ing, I have to confess that my music list might give a deceptive picture of my relative 'youth'. Actually, as I am a musicologist, I have to learn about the current music scene because of students who keep handing in dissertations on 'The Evolution of House Music in the U.K.' and that sort of thing. Also, as I spend a lot of time in the gym, it sort of soaks into the brain. Resistance is futile.

All that said, you can't really run to the tunes of Gustav Mahler!

But I am surprised that mini Barkles is not keeping you in tune with the latest trends!? Perhaps you have all that to look forward to!

Mazeltov on your birthday, Swiss.

DC
24/08/2002 at 15:37
HAPPY BIRTHDAY SB!
21 to 40 of 54 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.