Wasabi

why had I never heard of it before

1 to 20 of 25 messages
seren nos    pirate
19/06/2012 at 11:58

never heard of wasabi until a food discussion this morning on a thread........went to a shop this morning for pickled onion space raiders and noticed wasabi flavoured potato chips.......(like pringles).they were cheap so bought them............

WOW........they state that the are delicatly infused............but my mouth is on fire and I just love them....................only meant to have a few but over half way now so will have to eat them all and destroy the evidence before the family come back........

how many other wonderful flavours are out there that noone has told me about????

19/06/2012 at 12:00

marmite ?

19/06/2012 at 12:01

Wasabi-coated peanuts

Brinjal pickle - put a dollop in baked beans, lentil and tomato soup, cheese sandwiches....

seren nos    pirate
19/06/2012 at 12:04

marmite........everyone in this country.even in the deepest caves of wales has heard of marmite......and its ok 

wilkie.....i will have alook for that.......is it something like branstons pickle

19/06/2012 at 12:18

seren - You really need to try wasabi flavoured peas.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/luuux-original-files/bookmarklet_uploaded/image_176.jpg

seren nos    pirate
19/06/2012 at 12:21

sound a bit healthier than crisps......................where on earth would you buy them from...........never seen them in my asdas

19/06/2012 at 12:43

Wasabi...  It's a bit too hot for me.

19/06/2012 at 12:48
Seren - wasabi peas will be in the snacking aisle
19/06/2012 at 13:00

Bleurgh. Nope. Sorry.

Tried a big mouthful of wasabi peas. Like mustard or horseradish, it went right into my nose. I like mustard and horseradish though.

I'll leave the wasabi for you.

19/06/2012 at 13:01

So you have never had sushi either?

Often you will get a small portion of wasabi to go with your sushi.

A friend of mine once went out with a guy who had never had or heard of a mango!

Is that even possible really?

seren nos    pirate
19/06/2012 at 13:06

no never had sushi............i wouldn't of heard of a mago growing up if it wasn't for the Um Bongo advert............and then i would never of known what it looked like

19/06/2012 at 13:10

The guy was barely out of his 20's and lived all his life in London, or under a rock I forget which

Ok a list

sweet potato

basalmic vineger

brie

chorizo

bratwurst

19/06/2012 at 13:17

To be fair, I don't think I knew what wasabi was till those Budweiser adverts came out a few years ago.  I reckon before sushi really caught on it would've been a fairly exotic ingredient to most people.

OK, how about sambal oelek?

Mmmmm!

seren nos    pirate
19/06/2012 at 13:17

I had chorizo for the first time yesterday in a risotto recipe someone gave me..........

imy Oh loves bratwurst...........and i have had sweet potao but not for a while........must look for a recipie for that.........

so just brie and basalmic vinegar to try out........thanks

my excuse is that i grew up in the valleys of south wales.we always had things years behind the rest of the world.........never tasted indian, chinese or kebabs until i left home for brighton in 1985

seren nos    pirate
19/06/2012 at 13:20

Phil........so a chilli flavoured thing............do you make your own or buy it.and what would you eat it with

19/06/2012 at 13:21

When I were a lad, growing up in deepest darkest Cornwall in the 1960s and 1970s, Vesta spaghetti bolognaise was considered exotic. Something that only "furriners" eat.

What happened to Vesta meals?

seren nos    pirate
19/06/2012 at 13:22

they are still in the shops muttley...........and yes I can remember my mother buying a vesta paella for a treat..........i wouldn't touch it as it didn't have chips in it

19/06/2012 at 13:24
seren nos wrote (see)

wilkie.....i will have alook for that.......is it something like branstons pickle

No, nothing like Branston.  It's aubergine pickle, Patak's make (maybe others do too) it but you don't find it in many supermarkets.  I can get it from Waitrose, but Tesco don't have it. 

It's sweet, yet hot and pungent. 

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/4741/gallery/brinjal_0.jpg?width=350

seren nos    pirate
19/06/2012 at 13:26

i didn't like aubergines when i tried them but will give this a go

19/06/2012 at 13:26

I suppose you could make your own, just like you could make your own pickle, but generally it's cheap and available in shops (well, maybe not shops in the valleys?  )

To me it's like a cross between a chilli sauce and a pickle.  I'll use it where I use chilli sauce in cooking, but it's also "table ready" because it's milder.  So I'll add it to pasta, stir-fries, sauteed potatoes (oh yes!) etc. or it would be great for BBQs, just whack it straight on chicken, burgers, fish, etc.  Lovely stuff.

1 to 20 of 25 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.