Wedding Present

How much cash to give?

21 to 31 of 31 messages
17/06/2013 at 15:55

And Greek weddings, they pin it on the bride's dress.

17/06/2013 at 15:56

we know people who got married before moving overseas and requested money instead of things because of course it saved money on shipping costs.

17/06/2013 at 22:22

Thanks everyone, but just to be clear nobody (certainly not my brother or his future wife) have suggested the £250 figure. My comment was that this was the norm over here in Ireland where I live and I just didn't know if it was the same in the UK. Obviously not.

The last wedding I went to in the UK was my own, and that was a long time ago. I expect that I'll be giving a much more modest sum.

18/06/2013 at 17:23
I would also think something like ??50. It is not too unusual in Germany for the couple to ask for money rather than presents. It prevents them ending up with like 3 toasters ( or other things) and most couples use the money (or part of it) to pay for the wedding. Some guests get creative with the way they present the money to make it less awkward and fold it into flowers,animals etc. this link shows some examples

http://www.basteln-gestalten.de/geldgeschenke

...sorry its in German as I could not find an English site but there are plenty of pics

you could make them a "weeding cake"

http://www.basteln-gestalten.de/geldgeschenk-hochzeit
18/06/2013 at 17:47
Juliefrazz wrote (see)

The idea of a cash gift being somehow unseemly is quite a Western idea isn't it?

In Indian and other Asian cultures, money is considered the most thoughtful and considerate gift to give.

+1 for the sentiment. I don't understand the reluctance to give cash? No matter how much thought goes into a gift it is often not what someone wants so is pointless!

Forgot to add - £30 - £50 sounds about right.

Edited: 18/06/2013 at 17:48
18/06/2013 at 18:06

Present giving is a bit selfish when you look at it isn't it, you want to give them something that they will remember you by, but it must be something of your choice

18/06/2013 at 18:30

My brother did ask me for a Cervelo S5 as a wedding present but I reminded him that's meant to be for both of them...

18/06/2013 at 19:07

Jindalee wrote (see)
I would also think something like ??50. It is not too unusual in Germany for the couple to ask for money rather than presents. It prevents them ending up with like 3 toasters ( or other things) and most couples use the money (or part of it) to pay for the wedding.

Don't you have wedding lists in Germany?

Edited: 18/06/2013 at 19:07
18/06/2013 at 19:58

18/06/2013 at 20:19
I always hear that couples would like money, to pay for the wedding or honeymoon etc. as they have everything for the house already but I am sure some have got a wedding list. I am not sure I could think of enough things to put on a wedding list if I would ever get married.
21/06/2013 at 17:37

Bruce C wrote (see)

I wouldn't give cash .... the whole idea of the 'wedding gift' is to help the new couple kit out their new love-nest. Its not a part of the actual wedding itself so if they already have their new home kitted out, then why should you feel'honour bound' to stump up anything, especially cold cash ... all seems just a little too cynical to me.

I've got a lot of friends getting married in the next year, the majority have sent very politely worded requests for monetary gifts because they don't yet have a house to kit out with wedding presents! I expect that this will become more common as you need a 10-25% deposit for a mortgage.

I think its all about how you ask for things. The invites I've received have been along the lines of "we consider you celebrating our wedding with us to be gift enough, but if you would like to give us anything else we would be very grateful for any contribution towards our savings pot for a house deposit". I'd rather give a gift that will be useful than get hung up on choosing something thoughtful, if I wanted to make a thoughtful gesture I'd be more likely to ask them if they needed any help with wedding planning.

There is so much loopy etiquette around weddings though ... things I'd never have thought to be offended by are apparently big no-nos, so I'm sure that I'll offend all the friends and family when we get married

Edited: 21/06/2013 at 17:40

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 31 of 31 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.