Wedding Present

new album

1 to 20 of 22 messages
22/02/2005 at 18:39
May I make a shameless plug for the new album by The Wedding Present?

It's called Take Fountain and is available now. Brilliant stuff.

Off to see them in 2 days time too - waaarrrggghhh!

22/02/2005 at 18:45
SMITCH!!!!
LOK
23/02/2005 at 16:00
blimey
i remember them from uni days

will see if itunes has a sample....
LOK
23/02/2005 at 16:02
Oh moi gaud ive seen them may moons ago when i was a grungy a-level dropout! fab band...well were...and still are by the sound of things!
23/02/2005 at 16:04
Am Playing 'Hit Parade' now. I was thinking of getting the new album, will definitely get it now based on your recommendation!

Couldn't get on with Cinerama so I guess this is a return to form?
LOK
23/02/2005 at 16:06
itunes nothing

but amazon has samples

at
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007IO6XC/
LOK
LOK
23/02/2005 at 16:27
yeh sound like they always did but better

trouble is
my musical tastes have changed since then

i do like

"I'm from further north than you "

actually that would make a great argumentative thread title..
LOK
01/03/2005 at 12:40
Just got this album and it's every bit as good as anything they've previously done. Applepie, what were they like live? I remember from years ago they were always a good live band and it was always quite lively 'down the front'. Is it still the same?
01/03/2005 at 12:45
Bought in on saturday. Off to see 'em in Leeds on sunday.

Good album, but i think it's more Cinerama that wedding present.

Golly, is that a NMA jacket in your pic? Without question, the best band ever ever ever.
01/03/2005 at 13:02
paul l - can you post your live review on here next week, i'd be interested to see what yo think

yep, it sure is NMA. They're still going strong, new album and tour soon. I get to see them live most years and never get tired of them. What about you, do you get to see them much?
01/03/2005 at 13:15
aye, sure do. Try to catch them at least once a tour. Saw them in Manchester just before Christmas. Awesome as ever. Can't wait for the new album. It's been a long time in the making.

Will post the weddoes gig review next week.
01/03/2005 at 13:20
My own review is as follows:

Another cracking night out with The Wedding Present.

Venue was a small-ish theatre on the seafront in Brighton. Parked right next door and went to a nearby bar first, where we met a bunch of other WP fans I'd previously chatted with on the Interweb.

Got to the gig in time for a quick chat about football with David Gedge. He spotted my accent as not being a Sussex local, but I unforgivably missed the opportunity to point out that I was actually from further north than he was. Ah well.

Too many highlights to mention. The opening salvo of Interstate 5 and Crawl was so good I could have gone home happy then - in fact, we all could have ended up going home right then in an ambulance - me with a shoulder wrench from the magic "wwwaaarggh!" moment in Crawl, and Chris from taking a tumble in the mosh pit. The rest was just fab, although a super-fast rendition of Kennedy was maybe the highlight of the whole thing, when Gedge hammered his guitar so hard that he broke 4 strings and had to go and replace it while we sang on anyway. The wall of noise at the end of Perfect Blue was pretty special too, surprisingly, and H&E was as good as ever, as was the noisy version of Spangle. My Favourite Dress was a bit fast maybe, but hey.

Managed to nick a set list, and a good chat after with Terry (the bass player) and then Gedge again.

Stopped for a kebab on the long drive home, the kind of kebab that serves its purpose not by being tasty or filling, but by simply putting you off the whole idea of eating for a few hours.

Roll on London!
01/03/2005 at 14:40
Appleplie - Sounds a cracking gig in Brighton. Cheers for your post although I'm now jealous!

Paul L - Nice to chat to a fellow NMA fan, there aren't that many of us about! Could go on for ages about old concerts and all that - didn't do to any of the gigs last Christmas cos I'm in Wiltshire and there was nothing within 150 miles! Did you go to any of Justin's solo shows? Thought in there own way they were very bit as powerful as the full NMA experience!
07/03/2005 at 10:32
Went to the Leeds Met Uni gig last night. A hometown gig for Gedge and the boys and girl.

Top night. Dissapointed no Brassneck or Kennedy and they only played My Favourite Dress of the George Best album, but as Mr. G himself said, when you write so many great songs you can't play 'em all. The stuff from the new album sounded good too.

A bit tired today. XC race in the morning and an hour 20 moshing in the evening. I ain't gettin any younger.
07/03/2005 at 12:00
Cheers for the review paul. Sounds like a good gig and you must be fit to run in the morning and mosh in the evening. back to work for a rest eh?

07/03/2005 at 12:57
I'm seeing them in London, recently saw them play in Brighton. They were amazing, as always.
07/03/2005 at 15:04
dunno what i was thinking of earlier. They definately played Kennedy last night.

Mmmm, too much summat maybe and not necessarily apple pie!!
07/03/2005 at 15:30
Yay - wondered where you'd got to Smitchy - how's ya doing?
07/03/2005 at 23:22
ooooooooooooooooooooooo

I missed 'em!!!! How'd that happen??? I'm usually on the ball when it comes to gigs in Leeds?

Gedge used to hand around Leeds Uni Union in '92 when I was there first time round - he was far too old for that kind of behaviour then, I'm sure he's not changed a bit ;)

My best mate at uni bought the single per month (1993?) and taped them all for me - I still relish that cassette tape when everything else I own is on cd.

NMA were never top of my list (no-one beats the Pixies or Catherine Wheel) but I have fond memories of whatever album was out circa 1990. 6th form angst and rebellion - those were the days...

Cheers for the memories folks - I'm off to order the album...
07/03/2005 at 23:23
That's 'hang' around, not hand.
1 to 20 of 22 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.