We've All Run a Marathon

10 messages
22/10/2005 at 12:39
Okay, bored at work and got thinking and I imagine that 99% of runners on here have run a marathon.

Lot's of newcomers think "I'll never be able to cope with the distance". But just add your training miles up. I've run 26.2 miles over 2 days so therefore I've run a marathon, not raced one of course and my time was around 48 hours I think :o), but I've still covered the distance, albeit with a sleep break inbetween. So just about everyone can cover the distance, now it's just a case of being able to cover it in one go and without a 6 hour sleep break :o). Interestingly I think 48 hours still wouldn't have had me as the last finisher at FLM :o).

What's the point of this? I don't know, but I've got 5 less minutes at work now :O).
22/10/2005 at 14:34
Nice one Bryn, this week I ran an Ultra (in your definition that is...).
22/10/2005 at 15:41
Flippin eck! This is easy!

MB.
22/10/2005 at 16:30
It's taken me over a week to do mine. Anyone got any tips on getting faster?
;-)
22/10/2005 at 17:05
It's taken me since 6th September to do a marathon.

Wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't doing a real one next weekend.
Blisters    pirate
22/10/2005 at 21:34
Some people find the training just too hard, and only do the races. It's an interesting approach, and one adopted by a couple of forumites. I think that you've got to race every week to get away with it though.

I'll stick to daily training.
23/10/2005 at 01:21
Blisters- I'd say URR adopted that this summer but it was a case of racing once every few days or even every day and he's had some cracking results. He's trained too, but I think rather than his training it's been his frequent racing that's gotten him quite so sharp. (Hope you don't mind me using you as an example Urban!)

That was off a good base though in his original training for the marathon..
23/10/2005 at 04:20
Bryn - you will soon find out the difference between running or racing a marathon. Most of us just run them. I hope you enjoy your first.

23/10/2005 at 14:43
I know NZC, just messing around and don't want to denigrate the achievments of the many briliant marathon runners around.

I think racing a marathon is going to be very difficult, I think running one for a good well-trained athlete should be tough, but racing one should be near impossible as with a shorter race then you've not got that much further to go before you've finished if you blow up, but with marathon racing I think if you're pace is even say 10 seconds outside your optimum pace you'll pay the price at the end.
23/10/2005 at 22:33
>> "now it's just a case of being able to cover it in one go and without a 6 hour sleep break " <<

That counts me out then

;o)

(Hi! Bryn)

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
10 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.