What are your favourite sports to watch in the Olympics?

18 messages
08/07/2012 at 11:57

Womens Beach Volleyball   

08/07/2012 at 13:19
Pole vault, unbelievable skills.
09/07/2012 at 06:40

I love watching all the 'individual' sports in the Olympics, but some fo the team ones can pass me by ... except for the hockey, but then I think I may be conditioned to like that!.

Even really enjoy things like the sailing and shooting, which aren't your classic spectator sports, and I think the immediate scoring system of things like boxing and taekwondo make them very engrossing and easy to get sucked in to.

Favourites though would have to be athletics, cycling (track) and boxing.

09/07/2012 at 10:07

Being shallow, I like the ones we do well in - nothing stirs the soul like a winner. So will watch some of the cycling, rowing, 3 day eventing (all sitting down sports, you notice).

But I also like the ones that are a bit unusual and don't tend to get much coverage. If I had to pick one of that breed, probably modern pentathlon. The staggered start for the final run event certainly racks the tension up a notch. 

09/07/2012 at 10:38

The equestrian events always - I get a bit choked up and more than a bit jealous! And the gymnastics.

09/07/2012 at 11:40
Helen Liz wrote (see)

Being shallow, I like the ones we do well in - nothing stirs the soul like a winner. So will watch some of the cycling, rowing, 3 day eventing

I'm with you there!

Athletics is always exciting and I like tennis so will be watching that too

09/07/2012 at 11:49

Athletics and track cycling mainly.  I took two days off work during Beijing just to watch the track cycling and it was some of the best sports telly ever, obviously helped by the fact that we won everything.   Athletics this time round will be particularly special, since I've got more involved in the running club and we have two athletes competing - Jack Green, 400m hurdles and Conrad Williams, 400m.

On the other hand, I like some of the sports which you never really see any other time, so you really know the Olympics are on - 4 foot Turkish weight lifters heaving 16 times their own bodyweight over their heads is particularly alluring.

Lee the Pea    pirate
13/07/2012 at 18:53
Athletics and gymnastic are my favs. Also like swimming and rowing. I'll watch as much of it as i can though, and inevitably i'll cry a lot. Watching people win always makes me blub
13/07/2012 at 19:30

Pole vault and high jump do it for me. The moment that the athlete hits the bar or clears it can make me jump on my seat.

I like swimming but the events in the pool I find strangely unexciting. Maybe I just want to get in the pool myself!

The 100m or 200m are over so quickly I don't have time to get excited. Usually I just stare at the times in amazement.

13/07/2012 at 21:17

Athletics first and foremost. Pretty much all events really, track and field,  although this time round I'll be especially interested in the men's 400m hurdles and (hopefully) seeing Mo win gold in either the 5000 or 10000.

I also enjoy watching the weightlifting and the cycling, especially the road races and the pursuits.

Although I really like watching Grand slam tennis and Wimbledon was great this year, I won't be watching it at the Olympics - like football it doesn't belong there and detracts from the attention that some of the less publicised sports should be getting.

31/07/2012 at 17:17
Slowfoot 2012 wrote (see)

Womens Beach Volleyball   

This is a wonderful sport which is best enjoyed in front of a large TV screen while drinking your favourite cooling drink. Very skillful and highly exciting.

31/07/2012 at 18:13

swimming and running

31/07/2012 at 23:27

I've enjoyed watching handball - like 5  a side football but using hands rather than feet. It looks like it might be have been great fun to play.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
01/08/2012 at 12:14

cycling, swimming, rowing, triathlon and of course athletics when it gets going. Not really that interested in the team sports and contact sports such as boxing and judo. Nor shooting or archery.

01/08/2012 at 12:34

Swimming, rowing, synchro, diving, gymnastics, badminton when they're not cheating.  I have to be the only one who doesn't really like the athletics apart from the steeplechase and I'm not sure that's in the Olympics

01/08/2012 at 12:51

I've not made an effort to watch anything - watching sport doesn't really grab me.

If anything, then I'd watch gymnastics.  I find the stuff they do on the beam and bars fascinating.  The floor and artistic stuff, less so.

01/08/2012 at 13:51

Athletics has to be the main one. Going to London this weekend to see women's triathlon (Helen Jenkins lives a few miles away from me). Off to see the mens GB team in the football tonight as well.

I've been watching a bit of everything this time round because of the 24 extra BBC channels. One's I've enjoyed but haven't neccesarily watched before have been Handball, Volleyball and Hockey. Will watch anything if it involves anyone from Team GB.

01/08/2012 at 18:09
All of it except men's football which has no place in the Olympics whatsoever. However I think it's a wonderful showcase for the womens game.

The best thing about the Olympics is that you get to see some fantistic sports and competition that you wouldn't come up against normal....weightlifting, judo (though rather technical for me), hockey, volleyball, handball and archery.

Personally I'm not a fan of tennis, badminton and table tennis and I don't get the equestrian or the sailing...though I can see that success at the Olympics represents the pinnacle of achievement for these sports.

The sport that concerns me most is womens gymnastics. It's spectalular but certainly not graceful, but it's mainly that many of the competitors are simply too young to be competing in that environment.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
18 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.