What are your views on breaking the law?

21 to 30 of 30 messages
15/07/2012 at 09:21

I don't mind that someone is found guilty of breaking the law whether the law is modern or archaic. It is the punishment that I feel that judges need to get in proportion.

I am always pleased when a judge is reported saying such an offence should not have been brought to his court. It shows that he is thinking and not asleep! 

Dark Vader    pirate
15/07/2012 at 09:39
kittenkat wrote (see)

DV, speeding does kill, because people think they are better drivers than they are.

No.. its not solely speeding that kills.  Its the circumstances. 

By focussing on the speed, it ignores the other factors involved and suggests that if everything else remained the same but at a slower speed then an incident may not have occured.   I suspect that is grossly misleading.

Tail-gating at 69mph is just as stupid and dangerous as at 79mph and gives no greater level of assurance of safety.

Edited: 15/07/2012 at 09:56
15/07/2012 at 10:36
Dark Vader wrote (see)

By focussing on the speed, it ignores the other factors involved and suggests that if everything else remained the same but at a slower speed then an incident may not have occured.   I suspect that is grossly misleading.

Tail-gating at 69mph is just as stupid and dangerous as at 79mph and gives no greater level of assurance of safety.

That has to be wrong - the faster you are going the less time you have to react and the greater the likely consequences of any accident.   Speeding isn't the only factor in accidents but it is a factor - people who routinely break the speed limit are poor drivers - people who think speed isn't a factor in many accidents are in denial.

16/07/2012 at 10:40

I think it depends entirely what the circumstances are, you would be hard pressed to find someone who would refuse to break the law if someone had a gun to their child's head and was threatening to pull the trigger unless they did.

16/07/2012 at 11:06
kittenkat wrote (see)
Dark Vader wrote (see)
kittenkat wrote (see)

DV, speeding does kill, because people think they are better drivers than they are.

Speed is the single biggest contributer to death, but yes it's a set of circumstances.

Actually, it's the rapid acceleration or deceleration that kills.

18/07/2012 at 10:22

I break the law everyday. I speed I don't anybody doesn't.

Xine thats my very philosophical point I would have made.

People been In a position where they cannot afford bills and council tax-Thats seen as a crime!

24/07/2012 at 15:23

Normally, I'd say don't break the law but in the case of this cyclist I can't help but think "good for him". If the BMW driver is like the majority of his counterparts then he had it coming to him

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-18967273

24/07/2012 at 15:40

These days, occasional speeding, parking where I shouldn't for five minutes, driving the car I'd just bought that had no tax disc to the post office in order to buy one.

I don't lose any sleep over those (although I did worry about the car getting wheel-clamped or something).

When I was a youth, drinking under age, smoking dope, amphetamines.  I wouldn't do them now (the first one is out of reach anyway, unless they put the drinking age up a LOT).

25/07/2012 at 00:13

I've been to court three times during a divorce because my ex kept insisting we go... There were different judges each time and each time they spoke clearly and fairly and eventually there was a fair final judgement by a judge who operated in the real world.  As far as courts/judges go I have total faith in the law of the land and am glad of those laws.   

Edit:  Just remembered I've also had to use the Harrassment Act for protection from a person who would not take no for an answer.  A local policeman delivered a first warning under the Act. 

Edited: 25/07/2012 at 00:19
30/07/2012 at 16:50
Wilkie writes "These days, occasional speeding, parking where I shouldn't for five minutes"....."It's only five minutes", you won't believe how many times I've been told that, by people who've parked across the access to my parking space whilst they "pop" into the adjacent chip shop.

People who break laws are being highly subjective, interpreting the law against they're own circumstances, rather than the circumstances of others. A popular infringment in our town centre is people parking on the ziz-zags of a pedestrian crossing which is inconveniently situated next to an ATM machine.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 30 of 30 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.