What are your views on breaking the law?

1 to 20 of 30 messages
13/07/2012 at 17:59
Edited: 13/07/2012 at 18:05
13/07/2012 at 18:22

In my fishing days a famous angler was interviewed having just got back from serving a prison sentence of 5 years 11 months in Ireland. The way the chat went, it sounded like he was a bit of a character; as in poaching trout with worms after dark. But when he said that he had no respect for laws he didn't understand, I began to wonder what he'd been locked up for.

Laws are there for a reason and it doesn't matter if you personally don't 'get them'. All in all, we legislate for idiots. 

As it turned out, the guy got jailed again soon after. Back behind bars where all paedophiles belong.

13/07/2012 at 18:28

I think it really depends on the law. Some are so out of date that they should be just abolished (like the right to walk your sheep across Tower Bridge on a Monday) - that I dont think it makes anymore sense.

I try not to break any laws but I'm sure that I probably do without knowing. They are there for a reason but I can see why some people feel the need to look at the grey area rather than purely in black and white (like squatting).

13/07/2012 at 18:40

Most people break the law at some point. Speeding, parking on the pavement, parking outside of a church on a Sunday etc.

No not all laws are equal and I would break the law if I felt it necessary. Sometimes we need people who stand up to tyrants. I'm thinking more political here. Certyainly we are lucky in this country but what if we weren't? Would you just sit back and take it?

13/07/2012 at 19:31

For me I think its about my values mixed with a little common sense.  I was told as a kid never to steal, intentionally hurt people etc and wouldnt dream of doing any of these things today.  I found a £5 note a couple of months ago and handed it in as when i was a kid my mum would have killed me if i kept it, hence today I still hold these values.

However i do break the speed limit on a daily basis, I tend to drive slow around schools and in housing estates etc as aware of kids running about however give me a country lane or a clear motorway...zoom zooom! 

13/07/2012 at 20:29

If you can think for yourself, you don't need someone else to tell you how to behave.

13/07/2012 at 22:04

Combination of my own moral views, consequences of getting caught and to a small extent probably a feeling that law is law and there is some value in a society having shared rules - so long as I don't actively disagree with them.    It's mainly down to my own moral compass and chance/consequences of being caught though.   

14/07/2012 at 00:29

"Too many laws makes you Germany. Too few makes you France"

Seriously though, i think the adhoc laws that spring up governing political protest everytime a demo gets out of hand are bad news for us all. They stem from fear of, and create fear of, protest. Voting every 4 years and in local elections is and has never been enough. Curtailing legal protest, strike action, picketing leads to the idea that really we shouldnt be arguing against the status quo until our elders and betters have said so.

Everytime I hear a call for a curfew on the young or a call for more CCTV I can help think that the powers that be wouldnt like us all tucked up in bed by 8:30pm

As for the argument that if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear from this or that law, so you should be prepared to lay your life bare for the authorities. My answer is I have plenty to hide, embarrasing things , funny things, lies,  half truths, full truths, my hopes, my dreams, my fantasies and my reality. .The onus is on those in authority to prove they need to know these things not on me to prove they dont.

Any law should have as it base the idea that the individual is soveriegn and any law governing the conduct of that individual is an imposition requiring first consent and then constant review.

My brain hurts

Bed time

14/07/2012 at 08:25

I wouldnt harm others and i wouldnt steal or be dishonest in any way, i do speed , and im sure ive broken minor laws. The law is an ass, and justice is blind, you can be banged up longer for robbing a bank than killing a granny...whatever happened to Wergeld?

14/07/2012 at 10:25
Paganthegoat wrote (see)

whatever happened to Wergeld?

It was a little unfair if you happened to be a woman or a slave or just not very important in the scale of things.

Hierarchical laws are a bit rubbish.

"You got to pay a fiver if you killed an urchin but a tenner if you kill butcher"

14/07/2012 at 10:54

The law is the law, whether you agree with it or not.

14/07/2012 at 13:21

Nah m8 the law was always made to be broken .......How much wergeld can i extract from my neighbour whoes pussy  killed one of my Bantams? 

Like most things in life there is no black and white but a lot of grey areas...

14/07/2012 at 13:45

I tend to think that it is not so much the laws themselves and some are really out of date or belong to a long lost era. I think it is about judges and magistrates applying the law fairly and reasonably.

The problem may be that so many judges are so cut off from the real day to day existence of modern society that they simply follow a given format in sentencing rather than use their powers of discretion and wisdom. After all they are employed to judge.   Even relatively young judges live a rarefied lifestyle.

Perhaps like in China the great and powerful should regularly do a share of menial labour so that they always are aware of how the less equal live.

14/07/2012 at 18:34
I was expecting a discussion on Judas Priest and eighties metal rather than political philosophy. V disappointed. Oh well. Back to the childcare.
14/07/2012 at 20:48

As a nurse, i have looked after everyone from a known sex offender, to an ex Hells Angel. I judge no one, my actions hurt no one, but only aim to heal. If your actions hurt someone on some level, be it however small, then a law needs to be in place to stop this from happening.

14/07/2012 at 21:38
As a police officer i think ghost rider speaks very wise words. The laws, old or new are still here but the work of enforcing them has to be legal, accountable, necessary and of course proportional.
Blisters    pirate
15/07/2012 at 01:02

Wow KK, you've found a grand topic here. So many people have looked at it and decided not to admit guilt. You are only guilty when you have been FOUND guilty of breaking a law. Believe me, it's almost impossible to survive totally within the law.

15/07/2012 at 06:03

As some people find it impossible to survive driving without their mobile stuck to their ear with their shoulder and a cup of Starbucks in one of their hands.

15/07/2012 at 07:17
Ghostrider wrote (see)

As a nurse, i have looked after everyone from a known sex offender, to an ex Hells Angel. I judge no one, my actions hurt no one, but only aim to heal. If your actions hurt someone on some level, be it however small, then a law needs to be in place to stop this from happening.

what if the law is actually the thing that hurts someone?

Blisters wrote (see)

Wow KK, you've found a grand topic here. So many people have looked at it and decided not to admit guilt. You are only guilty when you have been FOUND guilty of breaking a law. Believe me, it's almost impossible to survive totally within the law.

Not sure about this!

Dark Vader    pirate
15/07/2012 at 09:11

Not being guilty of an alleged crime is not the same thing as being innocent.

I suspect that everyone infringes the law at some stage, and some laws are less serious than others.  Also, the detail of the law can, and does, change depending on political and social changes and therefore looking historically at crimes needs to be placed into perspective.    Witchcraft was once considered a crime, but now would be viewed as being perhaps eccentric behaviour, for example.

Like many people, I regularly speed.  Indeed, if you stick to the speed limit you will almost always be overtaken by others - except in residential areas etc...  Driving at 45-50 mph on a motorway is probably more dangerous, and likely to cause danger or risk to others, than driving at 80mph.   Speed is not itself the danger, its the context and the circumstances of the speed that can be dangerous.

1 to 20 of 30 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.