What can I do in Oxford on a Sunday

suggestions please

12 messages
17/05/2009 at 20:04

Rattler and I are going to be in Oxford on 2nd August all day before flying out on holiday on the 3rd. Does anyone have any suggestions of where to go? Neither of us has been before, so we're clueless! I keep hearing about what a great city it is, but I don't know where to start.

The Ashmolean is closed till November, which would have been my first pick. Anything else?

If anyone knows of any quilt shops, send me an email rather than replying on list so he doesn't suspect anything!

Nicko. Hdau    pirate
17/05/2009 at 20:17
No Kwilt shops I know of but a wonder round the uni (morse) areas is sposed tobe ok. And a punt up the river but isn't cheap. To be honest Oxford is expensive full stop. My advice is to drive a few miles south to Foxes cafe(bike cafe, ask and it's easy to find) and have a decent breaky and cuppa also meet and see some nice guys and some lovely motorbikes.
17/05/2009 at 21:55

Could go and look round a college...  e.g.  http://www.chch.ox.ac.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=231&Itemid=281

or, yeah, take a punt out on the river with a picnic 

17/05/2009 at 22:41

Hooky 6

No idea where Hook Norton is in relation to Oxford though

Think there's a brewery there

17/05/2009 at 22:50

Blackwells bookshop is quite large.
M...eldy    pirate
18/05/2009 at 02:02
Oxford is just nice to walk around I think ...  that and I will second Foxes cafe,  even I know where that one is  
18/05/2009 at 06:26
The Trout is worth a visit too, especially if the weather's nice (at least, it was lovely when we were there but that's a few years ago now).
Kryten    pirate
18/05/2009 at 09:31

Catch the hop-on hop-off bus and do a tour.

bus

18/05/2009 at 14:07
There are some fab buildings around Oxford, if you're into architecture do a photo safari!
18/05/2009 at 14:35
Not been there, but this is meant to be very nice http://www.botanic-garden.ox.ac.uk/
18/05/2009 at 16:43
Botanic gardens are lovely, and it's worth a general stroll around.  Also worth going to the natural history museum and Pitt Rivers Museum (they're in the same building), the latter it the ethnography place and full of interesting stuff. 
19/05/2009 at 06:07

Second Puffin1's ideas.

or

Blenheim Palace is just up the road in Woodstock if you're into that kind of thing and Woodstock also has a good little museum.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
12 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.