What does everyone do for a job?

..and aspirations for the future?

41 to 60 of 136 messages
31/08/2012 at 21:39
JeremyG wrote (see)

Directional driller in oilfield. After 22 years working offshore I fancy a change but to what I have no idea!

I love the idea of this -  Which way should we drill today the?

How about?

01/09/2012 at 05:53

I normally try and go the way they want

01/09/2012 at 07:38

I have been a solicitor for the last 20 something years.  That said, I have spent most of my working life trying to avoid being a conventional (see clients; give advice; then send a bill) solicitor.  Latterly I was an in-house adviser for a big international firm; before that, a university lecturer; and currently been off "on the sick" for a couple of years!

JvR
01/09/2012 at 12:23

Software/Systems test engineer for a big evil defence company.
I get to put systems together for helicopters, ships and stuff and then break them so that the software guys can put them back together so they work properly.

Not sure exactly what the future holds but if anything comes of my chat with one of the bosses yesterday then, unless I win the lottery, more of the the same but doing something that I'll find interesting, challenging and a lot of fun.

01/09/2012 at 12:35
Photographer/videographer for a tv production company,
01/09/2012 at 12:48

I is a professional geek for a very large bank

01/09/2012 at 13:12
Saffy Sweety Pea wrote (see)

Until a year ago, I was an accountant and had been for 20 years. Then I jacked it all in  and in January I started doing research in cognitive psychology. I'm lucky in that I absolutely love what I'm doing now 

Interesting leap from accounting to cognitive psychology!

I'm also a researcher in psychology, but more clinical/cognitve neuropsychology.

Career aspiration - get a permanent position. Earn enough to buy a house and have an occasional holiday.

01/09/2012 at 13:29
Nurse Ratched wrote (see)

I'm an evil nurse

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/497331/gallery/dolly_hypo_throw_pillow_0.jpg?width=350

Does  this mean you kill patients or just inflict pain?

01/09/2012 at 14:11
Now retired, doing ad hoc accountancy and taxation work for friends and former business associates. Prior to that I was The FD of a national distribution company.

I always wanted to be an expert......ie learn more and more about less and less, until eventually I knew everything about nothing.
01/09/2012 at 16:24
Tom - you have just described perfectly my career path for the last 10 years.....
Nurse Ratched    pirate
01/09/2012 at 17:28
degsy-m- wrote (see)

I'm an evil nurse

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/497331/gallery/dolly_hypo_throw_pillow_0.jpg?width=350

Does  this mean you kill patients or just inflict pain?

All depends on the patient.

If they're pleasant, I keep the bedpan in the fridge rather than the freezer.

Nurse Ratched    pirate
01/09/2012 at 17:28

I'd like to be a potter

LIVERBIRD    pirate
01/09/2012 at 22:24
seren nos wrote (see)

full time mother and wife.............

Same as Seren but the pay is shit so I'm considering gainful employment from this month onwards.

Convince me why I should.....

01/09/2012 at 22:40
LB so you can save up and move to Runcorn
kittenkat    pirate
01/09/2012 at 22:43
LIVERBIRD wrote (see)
seren nos wrote (see)

Same as Seren but the pay is shit so I'm considering gainful employment from this month onwards.

To exercise your grey matter, to have some independence from being mum and wife.

02/09/2012 at 08:56

Like Nurse Ratched, i am a nurse too, a male one, and work in a hospice, looking after terminally ill people.

02/09/2012 at 10:59

I'm a High School - Technician. Running around in a white coat !

LIVERBIRD    pirate
02/09/2012 at 14:17
kittenkat wrote (see)
LIVERBIRD wrote (see)
seren nos wrote (see)

To exercise your grey matter, to have some independence from being mum and wife.

That's Mr LB's argument! I'm warming to the idea!

iron fraggle    pirate
02/09/2012 at 15:06

I used to be an Industrial Chemist (analysing oil samples) but gave it up when I had the children. Now i work part time in our local secondary school science department where I get to play with chemicals    it's great because i get to use my brain a little, and get school holidays off , and i work with a really great bunch of people.

02/09/2012 at 18:45

As the name suggests, electrician.

41 to 60 of 136 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.