What is it with charity cold-callers?

I don't like being forced to be rude....

21 to 40 of 67 messages
Basil Brush Mk II    pirate
17/11/2009 at 20:51

Someone called here the other day and told Mr BB they were from Sky, which is fine, as we do have Sky. Prattled on for a bit about the warranty on the Sky box (which is indeed coming to an end, and it seems reasonable to extend). "If you're interested, Mr BB, I'll just need to take some details from you..."

"Hang on," says Mr BB, "You're not from Sky, are you?"

"um..."

"If you were from Sky, you'd have my details already. Next time, try not to make the very first thing you say a complete lie, huh?"

17/11/2009 at 20:52
Wondered where they had details that my contract was nearly up when i was getting these calls. Data protection my arse
17/11/2009 at 20:54

T-mobile didn't sell it on themselves.  It seems that a (soon to be ex) member of staff did it.

Their  IT department needs shooting for letting it happen though.

17/11/2009 at 22:22

The warranty ppl who call "on behalf of" Sky are dodgy scousers. No offence to any scousers .

Mr MD challenged them and they had a real go back at him. Not nice ppl.

I get annoyed when out shopping being acosted by charidee sellers. They can be aggressive too. Not a week goes by when going to Morrisons without someone wanting money. It makes me feel guilty walking by, saying no.

17/11/2009 at 22:25

Some time ago the wife admitted a British Gas meter reading man into the house who begn to regale her with some guff about an alert on their panel indicating that we were paying £100 a year too much and he would see what he could do to sort it out for us.

It was at this point I returned from a run and asked the British Gas man what the hell he was doing in my house as we dont get our gas from British Gas... at which point it became appaent he wasnt there to read the meter but was trying to get us to change suppliers.

I asked him to leave.. he carried on trying to persuade us of the benefits  of his company....

I pointed out that he had gained access by deception whilst my wife was on her own, I still wasnt sure who he was, I was getting angry and not a little scared by a man who was refusing to leave my house so the choice was he exit under his own steam via the door, or he exit at greater velocity through the window.

He left  - I rang British Gas and said if they couldnt confirm he was a employee of theirs within the next 5 mintes I was calling he Police.

They called back and confirmed that their salesmen were in the area. I sent a letter of complaint and got a grovelly letter.

Scared the wife a bit when she realized she had let a complete stranger into the house who really could have been anyone....

17/11/2009 at 22:36
We keep having this local builder phoning us about our garage roof.  We established that he doesn't do repairs of garage roofs, he only replaces them totally with some flashy system. We've told him 3 times we only want a repair not a fancy replacement, so if he can't do repairs we're not interested, but he keeps calling back to have the same conversation!
17/11/2009 at 23:13
basil  b the sky box people are indeed dodgy they blagged my mrs a few years back with the same sales pitch  she thought it was a one of payment but the next year they take the payment again with out so much as a phone call i cancelled the payment with bank then the cheecky feckers did it again this year! bank has repaid money but still p**sd me off
17/11/2009 at 23:29
Back to charities... you do have the option, of course, of complaining directly to the charity and, if you want to, to the little-known Fundraising Standards Board (FRSB for short). Yes, it's a self-regulatory system, but it's relatively young and trying to make a mark, so it can be worth complaining if you feel the need. It's recently changed its policy so that it will look into complaints against charities that haven't signed up to it. There's a huge debate constantly going on in the charity world about the ethics of different types of fundraising. The bottom line is that chuggers and telephone fundraising actually work, though lots of us may be cynical about them. If they didn't work, those methods would die out. However, the Institute of Fundraising has put together codes of practice to which its members must adhere, including a code on face-to-face activity (http://www.institute-of-fundraising.org.uk/Resources/Institute%20of%20Fundraising/Codes/Face-to-Face%20Activity%20October%202008.pdf) and one on telephone fundraising (http://www.institute-of-fundraising.org.uk/Resources/Institute%20of%20Fundraising/Codes/Telephone%20Fundraising%20November%202008.pdf).
Interestingly, the head of a major telephone fundraising agency recently told a conference he thought it might be ok to telephone people who had previously said they didn't want to be called just to ask if they'd changed their minds. It caused a storm in the charity world, he was rightly condemned and had to back down (http://www.thirdsector.co.uk/Channels/Fundraising/Article/949332/Pell---Bales-U-turn-phone-calls-lapsed-supporters/). As this article says, the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations mean calling anyone who has said they dont' want to be called is illegal.
One last point: most charities do good work and obey the law, guidance, codes of practice and common sense.
Edited: 17/11/2009 at 23:30
17/11/2009 at 23:43
http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/t.gif

Q: What is it with charity cold-callers?

A: Commission (but sssshhhhh....don't tell anyone)

This is word of mouth, so I couldn't swear to it, but it doesn't surprise me. 

The majority of 'Chuggers' don't actually work/volunteer for the charity, but for an agency which the charity commissions to get doners to sign up to them.

Ever noticed that it's not a one off payment, but a direct debit or a yearly payment? Thats because a large proportion of the first payments goes to the agency as their fee for getting you on board.

So if you've ever signed up for this and then cancelled after a few months all you've done is pay someones wages. 

If you want to give to charity - give direct.  Not to someone who approaches you on the street or over the phone.

EDIT: I'm would never try to slam the majority of charities as they do some great work, and I know that they have to use some of the funds to employ admin staff, but I disagree with outside agencies that get their slice before anything goes to the charity.

Edited: 17/11/2009 at 23:47
17/11/2009 at 23:51
It's actually no secret at all that chuggers and telephone fundraisers get commission. What few know is that chuggers are obliged to tell you this up front and are not observing the relevant codes of practice if they do not. The simple fact is, as I've already said, is that it works enough for charities to keep on employing the agencies. The fact is that the highest proportion of charity income by far still comes from individual giving - not from the state, nor from legacies, nor from the corporates. That's why chuggers want you.
17/11/2009 at 23:53

try cancelling your sky subscription - you get 20 minutes of them trying to sell you:

1. do you like movies - A more expensive sky subscription 
  2. do you like footie - ditto
  3. what channels do the kids watch (guilt trip one that)
  4. how much do you pay for broadband; how much do you download a month
  5. what about a combined package telly/phone/internet
See if you can stay calm
18/11/2009 at 11:06

I sorted out the cold callers - I got rid of my land line! 

Not that I had that many anyway, the TPS system worked for me.

The only sales calls I got were from BT, abusing their position as my phone provider.  I told them very firmly to stop, and they did.

18/11/2009 at 11:17

I've had a few annoying ones recently purporting to be from companies who I do have an account with.

Them: Hello, I'm calling from Company X regarding your account.

Me: Hello.

Them: Before I continue I need to confirm some security details. Could you give me your date of birth, please.

Me: Ummm... you called me? Why do I need to give you my date of birth?

Them: For security.

Me: But I don't know who you are. I didn't phone you, you phoned me. How do I know you're really from Company X?

Them: We need it for security.

Me: Well, from the point of view of my security, I don't want to give it to you.

Them: (baffled silence)

I mean, they probably were genuinely from the company. But how am I supposed to know that when someone phones out of the blue asking for my personal data?

18/11/2009 at 11:23
leave the answerphone on - any genuine caller will leave a message, cold-callers won't.........

I have had fun recently at the office with cold callers from boiler houses in the US tryin to sell me their share dealing services......I just counteract everything they say.........they get so frustrated and flustered they usually hang up. "have a nice day now"

sheri - those calls are often genuine and they will usually give you a number to call them on to check. they're quite often related to unusual amounts on credit cards, or buying stuff from overseas on it. but I agree - they don't help themselves
18/11/2009 at 11:29

FB - yeah, I know, they are probably genuine. But what got me was the apparent complete inability of the other person to comprehend that I might not want to give out personal details to someone on the phone when I had no way of knowing if they were who they claimed to be. They should've offered me a number to call back on, but they didn't... I think this has happened twice now (different companies).

The other one was a call my husband took, supposedly from a security company offering deals on burglar alarms and asking if we already had one! I was flapping my arms at him frantically as he told this complete stranger "no, no, we don't have any burglar alarms, no, our house is completely unprotected".... perhaps I just have too suspicious a mind.

I think they were genuine as they were actually quite pushy about selling us one after having been told we didn't have one. But still.

And we ARE signed up to TPS but still get cold calls.

18/11/2009 at 11:29

Yes, we usually leave the answerphone on, we tell people we know to leave a message and we will pick up if we're there.

I am on TPS but we still get the odd annoying cold caller. I have done the leaving the receiver and letting them talk thing. Lots of fun!

Farnie    pirate
18/11/2009 at 11:34
Sheri12 wrote (see)

I've had a few annoying ones recently purporting to be from companies who I do have an account with.

Them: Hello, I'm calling from Company X regarding your account.

Me: Hello.

Them: Before I continue I need to confirm some security details. Could you give me your date of birth, please.

Me: Ummm... you called me? Why do I need to give you my date of birth?

Them: For security.

Me: But I don't know who you are. I didn't phone you, you phoned me. How do I know you're really from Company X?

Them: We need it for security.

Me: Well, from the point of view of my security, I don't want to give it to you.

Them: (baffled silence)

I mean, they probably were genuinely from the company. But how am I supposed to know that when someone phones out of the blue asking for my personal data?

we get that call all the time from our bank

hello we are from *insert bank*

can you tell me all your security details

pppppffffftttt

erm

no

feck off!

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
18/11/2009 at 11:34

Had a guy appear at the door one night telling me that

"I was paying too much for my gas and he could help me cos he was from someone else"

Asked him how he knew I was paying too much ?

Cos He said he had all my details....

I asked him how ?

We just have he replied....

I picked up the phone and started pressing numbers (my own number !)

Who are you calling ? 

The police, Cos you claim to have my personal details !

Then took a photo of him with my mobile phone....

He couldn't get his boss from down the street quick enough !

His boss pointed out that they dont really have my details, They are just guessing that I have neve changed the original supplier.

Took his photo and pointed out that his chap had been telling lies.....

The pair of them almost ran down the street collecting another 4 or 5 of thier mates as they went.

Haven't seen anyone since

18/11/2009 at 11:40
nice one DtS......

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
18/11/2009 at 12:54
I had some junk mail from O2 on Saturday, it contained (wait for it)

A bar of Green and Blacks milk chocolate
21 to 40 of 67 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.