What is it with charity cold-callers?

I don't like being forced to be rude....

61 to 67 of 67 messages
14/07/2012 at 23:29

Dear all those who have commented on the nature of charity cold calls and advised how to deal with them.

Have you ever considered the people who are making these calls? yes they are people. people like you who work hard. people unlike you who work hard for little pay to try and cause a little bit of good in this world. Perhaps next time you recieve a charity cold call you might show a little respect to the person on the other end of the line. Do not toy with them, do not leave them for hours, its simply rude. Most of these people truly believe in the charities for which they are trying to raise money. The reason they ask for direct debit regular payments (even something as small as 18p a day) is so that when an earthquake strikes unexpectadly in a place like haiti, stores are already in place to provide these people with food and water. if there were'nt any stores, these people would die, these children would die of thirst or starve or die of a terrible disease. The you have advised that we treat these people shouldn't be put upon anyone. The money that is donated from the people that really care goes straight to the charity. the charities simply emply these agencies so that they do not have to spend tons of money buying telephone equipment when they could be spending that money on those who need it. truly charitble people would recognise this and recognise that these people are not evil or even rude. They have feelings and more importantly they care. if it wasn't for these people the charities would have half the amount of support. if it wasn't for these people, many more would die. you are lucky enough to have been born into wealthy countries. I can assume this because you are all sitting at your computers moaning about people who called you on your telephones whilst you were sitting in your nice house with a roof over your head and i'm pretty sure, a tap in your kitchen. think about what you have. Think about how lucky you are. Think about what a difference you could make for those who are not as lucky as yourselves. not anywhere near as lucky. not even lucky. why were they born into poverty and not us? I don't know but i certainly do know that every one of you is capable of donating to people who have nothing. 1 pound from your hard earned salary per week. not even 15 minutes work.

count to 4...

A child dies...

count to 4 ....

A child dies.

15/07/2012 at 07:58

Alice, stop being naive.

Every time you say I don't believe in fairies, a fariy dies, you know. 

15/07/2012 at 08:12

If you had bothered to read the thread properly you would have seen that the gripe against charity callers was the persistant ones who don't take the hint. Plus most of the tactics described were aimed at dealing with scammers and sales cold calls.

15/07/2012 at 08:17

oh dear god Helen, .... please say its not true ... say its not true ...

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
15/07/2012 at 08:23

I do not entertain cold callers no matter what they are calling about. I do regularly contribute to the Red Cross and a couple of others but I cannot afford to pay to every charity that calls me. Period.

15/07/2012 at 09:16
Alice Jones 3 wrote (see)
count to 4...

A child dies...

count to 4 ....

A child dies.

Well stop feckin' counting to 4 then

15/07/2012 at 09:21
@muttley - lol. I was hoping someone would reply that!

Alice - I agree with the others. It's about courtesy from the charities. 1 time of saying no I'm not interested should be enough. No means no. Not.... Try calling again later. I contribute to charities that mean something to me.... Not every Tom, dick and charity.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
61 to 67 of 67 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.