What makes a good forum?

8 messages
kittenkat    pirate
27/06/2012 at 18:42

I'm helping out an editor friend who wants to set up a forum for someone very well known in his field, as she doesn't frequent forums she's asked me to help get it off the ground.

So her questions to me are basically what makes a forum (a) work and (b) interesting, irrespective of the reason the forum is there (the reason here being running but it could be photography, art, parenting, whatever).

I've given her my views but I wonder what other people think as I know that I'm quite opinionated in this arena

*note to self, start a whatever forum*

27/06/2012 at 19:15
One that has no Bob Dylan references
28/06/2012 at 09:33

Bit confused - since when has this forum been about running -

28/06/2012 at 09:35
Dreamtwister wrote (see)

The odd troll, but that's a fine art.

Sadly an art that seems to have been missing round here for ages..........

kittenkat    pirate
28/06/2012 at 09:39
Grendel3 wrote (see)

Bit confused - since when has this forum been about running -

good point, well presented

28/06/2012 at 12:52
Dreamtwister wrote (see)

A few shit stirrers helps
The odd troll, but that's a fine art.
Sanctimonious wannabe middle classes

Loads more, but footballs on!

Trolling is not an art it's just the way losers with sociopathic tendencies and too much time on their hands get their kicks.

BTW most people on here are too laid back to rise to the bait so I'd say this probably wasn't  the best forum  for a troll . There's a hint in there somewhere Dreamtwister - perhaps you ought to take it...?

Anyway, KK, in answer to your question:

Size of community since this = speed of reply, diverse opinions and plenty of support where needed. I posted a painful dilemma on another site yesterday, as I needed some outside perspective  and waited 6 hours for a reply    

Diversity: If this site WAS all about running I wouldn't use it so often. (When I'm at work it's where I come to get intelligent conversation ). Any forum which is too narrowly focussed will end up being left to a hardcore of nerds.

The people on it: Perhaps runners are just good folk generally but, you know, apart from the odd arsehole most people who post on here are pretty sound. I guess that's something that can't be manufactured in when you're setting a  forum up though...

28/06/2012 at 13:02

A community feeling helps... and a forum owner who buys into the community and the forum itself.

Can you see where I'm going with this?

See Fetcheveryone.com.

28/06/2012 at 15:18

Lots of adverts for cheap knock off gear from Asia

The odd weirdo  Bring back Kef

Someone who believes in UFOs.  and that The death of Princess Di was a establishment plot.

That the internet is all about mind control and that Julian Assange is innocent !

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.