What makes your house a home?

21 to 29 of 29 messages
29/07/2012 at 23:06
Familiar smells. Laundry washed with your usual washing powder. Smelly candles. Coffee. Toast.
Iron Pingu    pirate
29/07/2012 at 23:22

The mess

30/07/2012 at 00:23

I don't have much 'stuff' that I'm emotionally attached to. My books could all be replaced, ditto my music. I have a large collection of old and out-of-print books and Depeche Mode rarities, but I don't require their physical presence to feel 'at home'. If everything I owned went up in flames tomorrow, there's not much I'd mourn the loss of.

Sentimental things like old family photos are scanned, copied, backed up on other hard drives and/or online, so easily recoverable. I have an oddly shaped piece of driftwood that looks like the Yellow Submarine. I'd miss that. But not a lot.

Edit: Lounging around in my old fleece dressing gown makes me feel at home. But a new one would be just as good. Better, even.

Edited: 30/07/2012 at 00:25
30/07/2012 at 18:13
Martenkay wrote (see)

I suspect SuperCaz has deliberately excluded spouse, family and friends from her question to focus on what helps you to feel good about your private space.

Photos of the excluded subjects if they make me feel happy and I remember good times. Good bed - i like to wake up fresh. Shower - I like to be fresh. Books. Those would be the minimum to help keep me mentally and physically comfortable. I could not have a radio or music constantly in the background.

All the best SuperCaz.

I've been spending a lot of time in hotel rooms, and have been trying to take things with me to make the room feel a bit more welcoming and less impersonal, while also packing as little as possible.  It has focused my mind on which of my posessions I need around me, which I miss but don't need, and all the junk that I could do without.

30/07/2012 at 18:20

In that case, I think I'd take a scented tealight candle. Tiny but the smell would remind me of home straight away. Though I imagine most hotels wouldn't allow candles in the rooms...

30/07/2012 at 19:12

My smelly teas tend to do a similar job

31/07/2012 at 18:13

If you want an extra copy of Ulysses let me know and I'll fish it out of the dustbin.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
01/08/2012 at 12:27

After my husband and dogs - my books and the photos on the wall - our  walls have studio portraits of all our former shepherd dogs, Sabre, Shawnee, Shani, Snowy and Oz.  Also have my parents wedding pic and some race photos, plus two pictures done by artist friends, an oil painting of Oz and Shani, and a crayon pic of Sabre.

01/08/2012 at 12:40
Colin McLaughlin wrote (see)

If you want an extra copy of Ulysses let me know and I'll fish it out of the dustbin.

No thanks, but if you have a copy of Finnegans Wake I'll take that off your hands.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 29 of 29 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.