What really offends you?

Continuation of the deletion of the Atheism thread :-)

21 to 40 of 55 messages
03/04/2013 at 16:02
Run Wales wrote (see)

People who pick up on grammatical and spelling issues on an internet forum are offensive. So here goes.   (I was going to ask if Rickster was offended by teachers - as they are the only ones who use course language in front of children - but Peter C got in there first.... so I'll pick on chloella instead )

You just made me laugh.  I was going to say "Nice use of the word 'fora'"  - but then noticed that you'd used 'forums' earlier in the post.

It's not really a criticism, because I often get tangled up about using "correct" English - like fora, whom   etc.   Most of the time, I give in to modern usage - but it was funny to see someone else using the two alternatives in the same post.

At several points in your text you've used more than one space during punctuation, but I guess that would be childish to point out.

Edited: 03/04/2013 at 16:03
03/04/2013 at 16:24

Darts being portrayed as a sport

03/04/2013 at 16:54

I pick up on bad grammar/spelling only if it unintentionally makes something sound funny (course and coarse being mixed up - probably because Rickster was simply typing fast or on a fiddly phone or something - as an example) or if it pertains to the point being made by that person. As an obvious point, if they're bemoaning the state of grammar/education/discourse. Personally, by the way, I would always use forums and not fora, which sounds unbearably archaic.

03/04/2013 at 17:47

nuts.

03/04/2013 at 17:56

I meant coarse, not course. Typo!

03/04/2013 at 18:35

Not much offends me but I do think it is wrong to have a go at someone when they aren't in a position to be able to defend themselves or put their side of the story across.  I can think of a few instances where that has happened on her over the years.

Outside the forum?  As someone else says, it depends on the context.

People who force their views on me, especially religious views, but also political views.  That includes people on FB (who I am likely to defriend very quickly), people who knock on my door and people who stop you in the street.  I have nothing against active debate but I cannot abide being told how to live my life.

Nudity is only offensive when it has been intended to offend.  Same goes for bad jokes, some stories and articles in the media

K80
03/04/2013 at 18:46

Snot offends me.

Whether it's being excavated manually - and disposed of or eaten;

launched as an air strike / snot rocket;

or clinging like an alian to a child's upper lip.

03/04/2013 at 20:19
Martenkay wrote (see)

What really gets to me though is when certain things are portrayed as being intelligent or intellectual and it you don't "get it" you are the one with the problem. Sometimes  such things gather such momentum to the point that people are afraid to shout "rubbish!".

Are you talking about Stephen Fry?

03/04/2013 at 20:34
Jokes, offensive remarks or behaviour about or to disabled people.

I don't like it when people use the f bomb in front of their kids.

Bullies i can't abide.

Neo-nazis need a kick in the balls.

Most politicians offend me. Mainly because they are as clueless as the rest of us about how to run a post-industrial democracy but seem incapable of ever acknowledging the fact that they are making it up as they go along.

Most TV chefs. Particularly the ones who use liquid nitrogen in the kitchen, or lecture us all on how we are bad people because we refuse to pay 15 quid for an organic free range chicken. Not all of us are millionaires, you tossers!

And Comic Relief. Multi millionaires guilt-tripping people who earn hundreds of times less than them into giving up their hard-earned and much-needed dosh. Flaming hypocrites and whited sepulchres the lot of em.

Basically I am against most things. Whatever they are.
03/04/2013 at 20:36
Noun 1. whited sepulchre - a person who is inwardly evil but outwardly professes to be virtuous
whited sepulcher
dissembler, dissimulator, hypocrite, phoney, phony, pretender - a person who professes beliefs and opinions that he or she does not hold in order to conceal his or her real feelings or motives
04/04/2013 at 11:38

Are many people confusing being annoyed with being offended? I get annoyed about all sorts but I'm rarely offended.

04/04/2013 at 22:25

I didn't see the pic that was posted but I gather it was a flaccid penis.

I'd be very offended if I was confronted by a flaccid one.

05/04/2013 at 09:01
Johnny Blaze wrote (see)
And Comic Relief. Multi millionaires guilt-tripping people who earn hundreds of times less than them into giving up their hard-earned and much-needed dosh. Flaming hypocrites and whited sepulchres the lot of em.

That's just bizarre. They use their status and appeal which helps bring in lots more money then them just giving say 100k of their own money.
People are obsessed by celebrity, so getting a "face" in, is highly influential in the pursuit of funds.
Surely a much greater reason to be offended, is by the percentage of charity donations that actually find its way to the charity.
05/04/2013 at 09:02

RW not bothering to fix any of the many bugs on this website is offensive too. grrr

05/04/2013 at 10:16
Miffi wrote (see)

Yeah, me too

Pudge    pirate
05/04/2013 at 10:20
Screamapillar wrote (see)
Miffi wrote (see)

Yeah, me too

I wouldn't.

05/04/2013 at 13:38

I find swearing using the C word offensive.The amount of money some premier league football players earn is offensive .Celebrities like Katie Price are offensive in the way they sell their lives for money.Narrow minded people., and people who wear mp3,s during a race and won,t move out of the way for faster runners

05/04/2013 at 14:06
Miffi wrote (see)

As I recall, it was hard to tell given the rather ugly forensic close-up of, er, shall we say, the helmet area.

05/04/2013 at 14:14
Stevie G . wrote (see)
Johnny Blaze wrote (see)

That's just bizarre. They use their status and appeal which helps bring in lots more money then them just giving say 100k of their own money.
People are obsessed by celebrity, so getting a "face" in, is highly influential in the pursuit of funds.
Surely a much greater reason to be offended, is by the percentage of charity donations that actually find its way to the charity.

That depends what you mean by 'find its way to the charity'. If you mean, do third parties get their hands on some of the money, then yes it's not good that, for example, chugging companies cream off a part of the donations their street troopers manage to squeeze out of people; or, worse, that very large parts of the amount you pay when you donate by sms don't actually go the charity. You might, of course, also be referring to the old chestnut of 'overheads' or 'administration' - charities really can't avoid overheads and admin, because they have to work in the real world of office or shop rental, paying taxes, paying staff, paying bills, travel etc etc. Some pare down these costs better than others, and yes there is a question mark over the large amounts that some executives get paid at the small minority of very big charities (and you'd be surprised at some of the organisations that, due to quirks of charity history, have charitable status - http://www.thirdsector.co.uk/news/1174882/Analysis-Senior-pay---fair-price-good-leadership/?DCMP=ILC-SEARCH) - but the overwhelming majority of charities are small things run by hardpressed and underpaid people. Sorry to rant, I guess I get offended by some of the myths about charities that get peddled (though I'm not saying you did).

05/04/2013 at 14:14

It looked like a sausage on a chopping board to me 

21 to 40 of 55 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.