What would make your job LESS stressful..?

21 to 35 of 35 messages
07/12/2012 at 16:28

less procrastination.

imminent deadlines are stressful.

09/12/2012 at 16:59

The constant need to do overtime to get the job done - get's in the way of running and the social life!

10/12/2012 at 09:19

clients who understand that NO i cant make your 50x50 8 bit pixialted logo that looks like it was made in 1990 into a road side billboard poster, or "no photoshop cant 'do its magic' on low quality stuff" 

I know most people dont know much about this but some just refuse to believe you when you tell them. 

Oh and people who make 100 emendments to a design, because they want to add more and more info, its a flyer, not a book, some people want so much info on their flyers or posters or magazine ads its ridiculous, no concept of marketing.

Edited: 10/12/2012 at 09:19
10/12/2012 at 10:47

For me its about the double standards. We are currently working really hard and get very little motivation to improve the working conditions. We are all worked into the ground before we either leave or get fired. I've tried to foster a team spirit and 'looking out for one another' which I try to make sure is a 'standard' but noone else does.

They don't care if you work 18 hour days, they don't care if you're burnt out. All they care about is making as much profit as possible. This normally means committing to unrealistic things by the sales people and then as PM's we come in and have to bring them back down to earth... it's not a good environment to be in.

10/12/2012 at 11:01

If, following any surgery, you got a small stamp declaring you to be MRI safe (assuming no metal inserts).

I work in research, and once you get to older adults a huge percentage have had some sort of operation where there may have been metal clips left. Trying to get the information as to whether it is ok to put them in the scanner can be like getting blood form a stone!

10/12/2012 at 12:35

I don't really have a mega stressful job - the only bad bit for me is the journey to and from work.  I swear to God, some people could have an accident on an empty road in perfect conditions!!!  People just don't seem to concentrate on driving any more - I see so many people either texting, on the phone or even reading the paper......while driving on the motorway!!!!!  This means I can spend up to (or in excess of, sometimes) and hour and a half at the beginning and the end of the day sat on the blummin M60 - and now that it's dark and mostly raining, it's just hideous! 

Unfortunately, I have to travel further to get the salary - and I've tried public transport........it takes even longer as there's no direct route and costs a fortune!!  GRRRRRRR

Dark Vader    pirate
10/12/2012 at 12:50

My job isn't itself stressful...  in fact, its actually good fun...  the stress is from the people around me...  clients who impose ridiculous and unrealistic timescales on themselves and thus everyone around them, estate agents who just seem to be hell-bent on upsetting everyone and especially legal advisors involved with the property transaction who do nothing for three months and then leave everything until the week before exchange of contracts to find missing documents or forms unsigned etc...

All of this is totally avoidable, with some application of commonsense and just being nice to each other...

10/12/2012 at 13:48

No students.

10/12/2012 at 16:23

Catalepsy

10/12/2012 at 20:50

We have been lucky with my husband working in warehouse for the same supermarket for the last 10 years, it's a secure position. But it's an awful place, they changed management in the middle of last year, made everybody apply for their positions and most did not get them back so had to leave. Got new management from god knows where, amazing the place still runs. For chrsitmas rota they made them do a draw in which by random chance you could get a day off at christmas or not regardless of whether you worked previous years or not. Husband got xmas day and boxing day off but works lates till 11pm on new years eve and new years day. They should listen to what their employees say but I guess that is never the case in workplace.

10/12/2012 at 22:36
Some of this thread puts my situation in perspective. Thanks Dark.
11/12/2012 at 06:48

Its the classic 'between a rock and a hard place'.

We need the money and employment appears to be the conventional way to get it. 

I don't mind employment as such, however there is often a conflict of interest as regards the people you come into contact with.

The usual conflict is where some do a job because they want to do the particular activity of which the job comprises. On the other hand we have those who do it for the money. An obvious workplace division.

The political stance is that employment is essentially the exploitation of one set of people over another. An argument; not unreasonably sited by the unemployed, that employment would be attractive if it wasn't for the fact that they are now being bossed about. 

Personally, the last time I was an employee, ended with a phone call. I had gone off sick and just refused to go back. There was some Human Resource (Note the word resource) nonsense which I curtailed by saying I'd rather be unemployed than work in that place.

A few weeks later I had an email from this 'place' asking for the reasons why I left. It seemed churlish not to reply so I did. I have a copy somewhere but I'm not sure I should stick it on here

Edited: 11/12/2012 at 06:53
11/12/2012 at 08:18

Work is exploitation in both directions, you do a job, you get told what to do in order to achieve it, and you take away a monetary compensation and a set of general terms and conditions. If the Compensation and the activity are reasonably compatible then everyone's happy, if we're not happy with the compensation, we have the option to move. It's good.

having said that I can see the point of the unemployed who get more than subsistence money, money for doing nothing in particular. They see a job paying a reasonable wage and only see the compensation as the differential between working and not working. The result of too many years of increased benefits when the working world has hit hard times unfortunately. 

11/12/2012 at 21:04
Beth Roberts wrote (see)

I don't really have a mega stressful job - the only bad bit for me is the journey to and from work.  I swear to God, some people could have an accident on an empty road in perfect conditions!!!  People just don't seem to concentrate on driving any more - I see so many people either texting, on the phone or even reading the paper......while driving on the motorway!!!!!  This means I can spend up to (or in excess of, sometimes) and hour and a half at the beginning and the end of the day sat on the blummin M60 - and now that it's dark and mostly raining, it's just hideous! 

Unfortunately, I have to travel further to get the salary - and I've tried public transport........it takes even longer as there's no direct route and costs a fortune!!  GRRRRRRR

I'm sure that road is even worse than the 25.  I spent 3 years commuting to and from work and the 60, jct 18-12.  Horrifric.  Never, ever again.

Working from home is, without doubt, the future.  I love it and any additional stress  can always be coped with by the fact that I work from home!

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
11/12/2012 at 21:57

I used to love my job but it has changed so much in the last couple of years I can't wait until I leave. Trouble is I need the money at the moment. Now all the head shed care about is production production production, never mind about the workers, who the hell cares if they are unhappy just as long as they get their work done within the timelines we've set. No, I don't work in a  factory, it's a recruitment agency.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 35 of 35 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.