Good - I'm self-employed so more or less choose my hours and i get to work for different companies.
Bad - I don't get paid holiday or sick
I'm mostly left alone to get on with my workSharing an office with a nice colleagueVery easy-going bossesSeven weeks+ holiday a year
Moving to an open-plan office soon That's going to impact on my foruming!
- Relatively relaxed atmosphere to hours/breaks/internet- 30 days holiday
- Working with california means i can rarely leave early- Boss is unpredictable- Little responsibility
GoodThe peopleOffice being a mile from homeFlexible hours - coffee, cake and chat with friends over a leisurely lunchtime
BadHave been going through redundancies since last October, still got months of it to go.Waiting to hear about my voluntary redundancy application has been accepted, all current applications have been put on hold fpr several weeks, so that if offered one of the two jobs I've had interviews for then I can take one of them up with a nice little redundancy nest egg.
good - 4am starts
bad - 4am starts
But not long now...
After 14 years, they have just made me redundant.
bad: I don't have one
good: I don't have one!
- Dealing with people
- 35 days annual leave (plus Bank Holidays)
- a decent pension (for the time being anyway)
- some early starts, 06:00, which also mean leaving by 14:30 (but not enough of them)
- showers in changing rooms, & lots of towels for when i run there
- staff discount in the canteen (& half-decent food in it! nowadays)
- lots of lovely young ladies in Nurses uniforms
- free Physio advice!
- if you're ill at work, you generally get to see the Consultant, or Registrar(a few years ago, I had my nose broken by a patient. The A&E Consultant initially dealt with me, then got on the phone for the ENT Consultant to attend, & a Consultant Radiologist to report the films!!)
Bad - dealing with 'scrotes' (young/old, male/female)
- crap pay
- too many layers of management (but hey!!, it's the NHS)
- paying for a parking permit (for the odd days that I go in car) with no guarantee of a space
- too many afternoon shifts
- lots of crap shift start times (07:30, 08:00, 09:00, 10:00, 12:00, 13:00, 14:00)
Visit the official Runner's World page
Follow Runner's World on Twitter
Other Natmag-Rodale Sites
Run For Charity
About Runner's World
Runner's World is a publication of Hearst Magazines UK which is the trading name of The National Magazine Company Ltd, 72 Broadwick Street, London, W1F 9EP. Registered in England 112955. All rights reserved.
Website powered by: Immediate Media Company Limited. | © Runner's World 2002-2013 |