What's racist then?

Whatever you want it to be

1 to 20 of 40 messages
23/10/2012 at 16:50

A leading lawyer has indicated that a Black Footballers Association is being suggested. Well sorry guys but isn't that just about as racist as you can get?. Separating and identifying yourself or others on the basis of colour or race. The original anti racist stance was against job adverts that specifically stated 'no blacks'. That was racist. The day we regard colour or race as irrelevant is what we should be aiming for, not by creating divisions along the lines of colour, race = them and us.

23/10/2012 at 16:53

The reason this is racist is that if there was a White Footballers Association proposed that would be totally unaccebtable - to be honest the only person I could see joining such an organisation is Rio Ferdinand.

23/10/2012 at 17:03

it may well be racist technically but i'm unsure as to why i should be offended.

like finding women's-only 10ks sexist. i'm sorry i just cant get worked up about it.

23/10/2012 at 17:43

I can see your points, but given that most racism in this country is something suffered by non-white people, it seems reasonable until utopia arrives for people in minorities to organise themselves in this way. Interestingly, no one seems to recall the very sensitive Mr Ferdinand having to apologise for calling Chris Moyles 'a faggot' live on air some years ago.

23/10/2012 at 17:53
Peter Collins wrote (see)

but given that most racism in this country is something suffered by non-white people

Is this actually true ?

23/10/2012 at 17:58

Sigh.

23/10/2012 at 18:10
During Apartheid they tried to separate blacks from whites by having one thing for whites and one for blacks. Now things have gone full circle and people think that some sort of PC apartheid is actually more beneficial than everyone being together. In Brighton there is a playgroup called Mosaic that is just for mixed race kids. WTF? the rest of us just get on with in the same group.
23/10/2012 at 18:11
Sigh indeed Peter. I was singled out at school for being one of the 299 white kids out of 300.
23/10/2012 at 18:36

yes bruce it is.

23/10/2012 at 19:04

I am finding it odd that my eldest daughter has become much more aware of race since she went to uni in East London. By aware I mean that she tends to label people by their colour/genetic heritage etc. Where the rest of family just want to know her friends names and where they have come from (South London, Italy or Stoke etc) she feels we need to know they are Black, Mixed Race, Muslim etc. 

I think we are all mixed race and colour is only useful to know if you are trying to find someone in a crowd

23/10/2012 at 19:17

I have no more problem with a black footballers association than I have with a black police officers association, an Irish club, London Welsh rugby club, or any other association that isn't causing trouble to anyone else.

Live and let live, in this wonderful cosmopolitan land of ours.

23/10/2012 at 21:07
the dude abides wrote (see)

yes bruce it is.

I suppose it depends on your definition of racism and which particular groups are included and which aren't (ooh!! ... now theres a conundrum ... is it racist to deny a race the right to be racially abused ?)

23/10/2012 at 21:18

ive no idea bruce. nobody said they weren't.

23/10/2012 at 22:47
I believe the statement said most people are non white. You seem to be claiming that it is mostly white people who are racially abused. Can you Brucie, explain how you came to that conclusion.........sigh
23/10/2012 at 23:07

In a country which is 90% white (or whatever the figures are) then obviously most racists will be white and so most racism will be directed at non-whites,  but at the same time it doesn't mean white people are more likely to be racist or that whites can't be the victim of racism (not that anyone said differently but I'm assuming that was the point Bruce was making).      

Personally I don't think the problem is sufficient to warrant a breakaway black footballers union - I think it's divisive and would probably be counter productive - a group organised by pro footballers targeting racism in the game (if that's a problem) I think could be a positive thing but not something operating as an alternative to the PFA.   

23/10/2012 at 23:53
Article 11: Freedom of Assembly and Association 1. Everyone has the right to freedom of peaceful assembly and to freedom of association with others, including the right to form and to join trade unions for the protection of his interests.
2. No restrictions shall be placed on the exercise of these rights other than such as are prescribed by law and are necessary in a democratic society in the interests of national security or public safety, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals or for the protection of the rights and freedoms of others. This Article shall not prevent the imposition of lawful restrictions on the exercise of these rights by members of the armed forces, of the police or of the administration of the state.
  Prima facie, black footballers have a right to associate with other black footballers within an association.  
23/10/2012 at 23:54

Executive summary for Muttley: People can hang out together.

24/10/2012 at 06:29

*sigh*

No, the point I was making was that racism is not purely based on skin colour as Peter intimated.

24/10/2012 at 09:29
Yes Peter Collins, why did you say racism was purely based on skin colour????

The freedom of peaceful assembly is conditional on the laws of the land which does not allow racism. The OP posed the question " is this racism" ? So rather than answer the question Col you have said what we loony lefties call - stated the bloody obvious.
24/10/2012 at 09:34

OI! it's only us do-gooders that are allowed to sigh, right!?

you oppressed, put-open whiteys are excluded

1 to 20 of 40 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.