What's the point of colour?

21 to 40 of 46 messages
02/12/2012 at 14:05

I shared a bed with a women last night.  She thought the colour of the walls was magnolia.  I thought they were insipid

02/12/2012 at 14:54
lardarse wrote (see)

Questions asked when 13 years old.

...I think you need to find a woman (women) and get "it" regularly! I recommend here! 

But how do you know that you are getting 'it' and that 'it' is not just a figment of your imagination?

02/12/2012 at 17:43
There are lots of things for which the point of their existence is not immediately obvious. Belgium, for example.
02/12/2012 at 17:52

I disagree with you there Intermanaut.  The whole point of Belgium is their chocolate

02/12/2012 at 19:36

SuperCaz - how can you forget the beer?

02/12/2012 at 20:01

Because I am a cider drinker and they are not famous for their ciders

02/12/2012 at 20:43

Belgium beers very good.

02/12/2012 at 21:00
Intermanaut wrote (see)
There are lots of things for which the point of their existence is not immediately obvious. Belgium, for example.

The European Parliament?

Errrr...point taken. We could manage without Belgium.

02/12/2012 at 22:45
Intermanaut wrote (see)

You are Jeremy Clarkson and I claim my five pounds.

More to the point, Belgium makes the best chocolate and the best beer.  Beer and chocolate are two of the most important things in the world, therefore Belgium is one of the most important countries in the world.

03/12/2012 at 14:14
Catalin Bond wrote (see)
I've also often wondered if what I see as green is the same as what anyone else sees as seen. It probably is, but maybe not the exact same shade. I can't think of a any way of proving it.

Most people are trichromats, and have three different cones in their eyes. Some people are dichromats (colour-blind) and there's some evidence that some people are tetrachromats. These groups of people will all experience colour differently.

Even amongst trichromats, colour may be to a certain extent subjective, so probably we don't all see exactly the same thing.

Oh, and this colour survey is pretty interesting too.

04/12/2012 at 14:22

Colour doesn't exist 'out there'; colour only exists in conceptual minds.  What actually exists is electromagnetic radiation, of which we percieve a small spectrum (called 'visible light'), and this small spectrum of WAVES enters eyes, and if there is the correct nervous system behind the eye, the BRAIN will create colour; somewhere near the back of the brain.

It's the same with sound; external to the brain is mechanical pressure waves; once these hit an eardrum with the correct nervous system behind it; sound is produced in the mind.

You could say that we make the Sun shine!

Interesting eh?

04/12/2012 at 14:24
Rickster wrote (see)
We may all be alone in our own individual universe and the people around us may just be a figment of our imagination.

This is called solipsism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solipsism

It's a very difficult philosophy to disprove.

04/12/2012 at 14:26
Tom77 wrote (see)
Even amongst trichromats, colour may be to a certain extent subjective, so probably we don't all see exactly the same thing.

Anything which enters the mind is subjective.  Even if we look at the same car, we will each perceive that car differently.  You may see a 'cool car' and I may see a 'chav car'.  Same car, but we perceive it differently; albeit at a very subtle level.

Sorry, I like philosophy. 

04/12/2012 at 14:30
Easy.Does.It wrote (see)
Rickster wrote (see)
We may all be alone in our own individual universe and the people around us may just be a figment of our imagination.

See, I thought that I may be on to something. In which case, why am I typing this, as there may be no one else out there to read it. 

05/12/2012 at 08:39
Rickster wrote (see)
Easy.Does.It wrote (see)
Rickster wrote (see)

See, I thought that I may be on to something. In which case, why am I typing this, as there may be no one else out there to read it. 

I blame the Matrix!

seren nos    pirate
05/12/2012 at 08:40

05/12/2012 at 09:18
I don't think this subject is as black or white as you are making it out to be
05/12/2012 at 10:13

There was an interesting program on colour that showed that how you are bought up has an aspect on how you see colour. There is a small tribe somewhere in Africa that categorises colour v. differently to how the rest of the world does. They grouped colours together that we would see as v. different. They did an experiment with different shades of blue-green. They had a circle with 12 or so different segments and one segment was a different colour to the rest. On one set there was a v. slight difference that the rest of us would struggle to spot immediately that they saw straight away. Another set had colours that we could immediately spot as different but that the people from this tribe didn't see as clearly.

So maybe the way we see colour is determined by how we're told they are categorised as blue, green, red etc. Maybe thousands of years ago we would have seen them differently depending on where we were living but now we are much more homogenised.

05/12/2012 at 15:49

As a Newcaslte fan, colour is very important. It helps me work out who the opposition are...

05/12/2012 at 16:09

Like colour doesn't inherently exist, neither does Newcastle football club.

There's a statement eh?

Colour is only produced in the mind, just like football clubs.

I'm a Geordie btw; my brother is a rabid Newcastle supporter.

21 to 40 of 46 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.