What's the point of colour?

1 to 20 of 46 messages
01/12/2012 at 19:20

Have you been smokin that grass ?

01/12/2012 at 19:21
How do you know a blade of grass doesn't know it's green ?
01/12/2012 at 19:44
Are there some physiological things like cold blooded animals that are dark because they absorb heat better that way? And
01/12/2012 at 19:45
kittenkat wrote (see)

I guess from an evolutionary point of view it's to help identify danger,

I'm pretty sure colour pre-dates ''life'' and therefore has no point in itself.  Light just ''is'', and colour happens because of the physical make-up of different types of matter and the way it reflects light in the electromagnetic spectrum.

I too suspect you may have been smoking something colourful.

01/12/2012 at 19:46
I stopped mid-type and went and poured a glass of wine then submitted without reading over. No idea what the 'and' was going to say.
01/12/2012 at 19:47
But thinking about it, red is a necessary colour because otherwise I may have got white wine by accident and white wine is uuurrrggghhh.
01/12/2012 at 20:09
kittenkat wrote (see)
Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

Because it can't walk to the shop and buy a pint of milk.

But the blade of grass is eaten by a cow, which produces the milk.

01/12/2012 at 20:13
PhilPub wrote (see)
kittenkat wrote (see)

I guess from an evolutionary point of view it's to help identify danger,

I'm pretty sure colour pre-dates ''life'' and therefore has no point in itself.  Light just ''is'', and colour happens because of the physical make-up of different types of matter and the way it reflects light in the electromagnetic spectrum.

I too suspect you may have been smoking something colourful.

Light just is, but colour is how our eyes and brains interpret each particular wavelength.

01/12/2012 at 20:30

This is turning very philosophical. I keep expecting Plato to comment at any moment.

01/12/2012 at 20:41

Why does there have to be a point to colour?

What is the point of Jupiter?

What is the point of moths?

What is the point of life?

01/12/2012 at 20:51

It's like climbing Everest, because it's there.

01/12/2012 at 20:58

It isn't, because you can't climb colour.

01/12/2012 at 21:03

Only because you tell yourself that you can't, and with that attitudde you never will! 

01/12/2012 at 22:32
Colour is just a pigment of the imagination
01/12/2012 at 22:52
Rickster wrote (see)
kittenkat wrote (see)
Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

Because it can't walk to the shop and buy a pint of milk.

But the blade of grass is eaten by a cow, which produces the milk.

Goes in green, comes out white.

I wonder if we all see the same colour when we look at the blade of grass.  How do we know.   My nephew is colour blind - or is he? Perhaps he sees it as it is and its the rest of us who are wrong.

01/12/2012 at 23:38
Vaguely remember reading that one theory was that we evolved colour vision to tell when fruit is ripe.

I've also often wondered if what I see as green is the same as what anyone else sees as seen. It probably is, but maybe not the exact same shade. I can't think of a any way of proving it.
02/12/2012 at 10:29

Colour affects our responses quite significantly. Proven fact.
Now did nature develop colour that way or did it develop us that way? Oh crikey, my head hurts now.  

Lays down in a blue room 

02/12/2012 at 10:33
limper wrote (see)

Colour affects our responses quite significantly. Proven fact.
Now did nature develop colour that way or did it develop us that way? Oh crikey, my head hurts now.  

Lays down in a blue room 

Is the room blue, or do you just perceive it to be blue?

More to the point, am I the only person in the universe and just imagining that everyone else exists?

We may all be alone in our own individual universe and the people around us may just be a figment of our imagination.

My head hurts as well now. Better go and lay down in a room of any colour of the electromagnetic spectrum...

02/12/2012 at 11:50

Questions asked when 13 years old.

...I think you need to find a woman (women) and get "it" regularly! I recommend here! 

02/12/2012 at 12:55

We're merely discussing life's philosophical matters.

1 to 20 of 46 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.