When a school says it hasn't got a bullying problem.

Would you believe them?

1 to 20 of 32 messages
24/09/2012 at 20:21

Hasn't got a problem, usualy means that they turn a blind eye to it.

ET7
24/09/2012 at 20:28
I've heard schools say they haven't got a bullying problem...rubbish.
ET7
24/09/2012 at 20:44
Rickster wrote (see)

Hasn't got a problem, usualy means that they turn a blind eye to it.

Definitely agree. I went to a secondary school where violence was a regular part of bullying (girls were shoved down stairs, their hair was set alight etc) but the teachers ignored it or refused to acknowledge it because they were scared of the pupils.

It only changed when a new headmaster came in and implemented strict bullying procedures and consequences. Within 6 months all of the bullies had either stopped or left the school.

24/09/2012 at 20:47

bullying happens at all schools, what is important is that a school has a clear policy and deals with any episodes of bullying quickly. Bulllying even happens at the nicest leafy primaries - both my kids have been victims at different times from different kids.

24/09/2012 at 20:56
I think there is a difference between a school that doesn't have a bullying problem I.e. it happens but isn't endemic and policies are in place to prevent and deal with bullying and one that claims there is no bullying in which case they are deluded and/or lying.

Through my work have been in number of schools and there are some where there is a culture that allows bullies to prosper.
JPenno    pirate
24/09/2012 at 20:57
My daughter has dyslexia and was bullied at school, she even went on gok's teenagers (tv programme last year dealing with teenagers problems they did articles on nine kids with all different issues)

The school denied they had any issues but couldn't produce a bullying policy when requested!! They refused to allow any filming in the school and the headmaster accused me of bullying him and his staff when I went into "address matters with him"

My daughter was then threatened with suspension when she stood up for herself and punched one of the bullies

I am aware of other incidents in the same school and teachers have left because of the problems with some kids that the head turns a blind eye to
24/09/2012 at 21:09
All schools should have a bullying policy.

Every year we do an anonymous survey of all the pupils in our school. There they are asked about any details of any bullying they suffer, including naming culprits and how they feel about how staff deal with issues. That said, we do have plenty of bullying issues on a day to day basis but we do everything we can to address the problem and to deal with the protagonists.
25/09/2012 at 07:09

Bullying is unfortunately part of growing up and a right of passage, and we all know the cure. How we deal with it when it inevitably happens will decide how we go on to live our lives, as with so many things.

25/09/2012 at 08:01
EKGO wrote (see)

Bullying is unfortunately part of growing up and a right of passage, and we all know the cure. How we deal with it when it inevitably happens will decide how we go on to live our lives, as with so many things.

To an extent. Teenagers being shits to each other is a normal part of growing up. A prolonged psychological campaign against one person is entirely different. It shouldn't be seen as a right of passage or a test of character.

I mean this less aggressively than it sounds, but I think your attitude is exactly what leads some schools to claim they don't have a bullying problem.

25/09/2012 at 08:06
EKGO wrote (see)

Ahh right, so you were the school bully then.

seren nos yn canu    pirate
25/09/2012 at 08:10

Not have a bullying problem is different to a school saying it hasn't got any bullying in the school...............

not having a bullying problem could mean they are strict and fair and have the policies that have reduced this  so much that the children all know what is and is not acceptable and they know what to do if there is a problem so that it is dealt with..........

no bullying occurs in my school would imply that the school is talking bullshit.........

25/09/2012 at 08:21
Weeble. wrote (see)
I mean this less aggressively than it sounds, but I think your attitude is exactly what leads some schools to claim they don't have a bullying problem.

Weeble - your reading of my post is precisely the wrong reading,

I believe every school has a bullying problem and every kid will at some point experience this, it is prolonged by Head teachers claiming they have no problem, if Children do not have understanding and supportive Parents when they do deal with the issue they could go on to do this to someone else, and the problem continues. 

I've been there and was bullied at the time I went from Junior to Senior schools (Red Head) luckily I had parents who showed me how to deal with it and supported me when I did so. I've since addressed more bullies in the workplace than I can care to mention, so obviously some learn the lesson later in life than others, and the lessons I learned worked very well for me and my family. 

25/09/2012 at 08:24
seren nos wrote (se

no bullying occurs in my school would imply that the school is talking bullshit.........

Seren Nos, totally agree, burying the head in the sand (excuse the pun) doesn't work with any issue, particularly not this one

25/09/2012 at 08:28
Rickster wrote (see)

25/09/2012 at 08:30
Rickster wrote (see)

I'll treat that with the contempt it deserves

25/09/2012 at 08:38

Some school children are mean and unsocial, they pick on others physically or emotionally, so bullying happens in all schools and as far as I'm concerned that's an unfortunate fact of life.

However, there's a difference between saying 'we have no bullying' - which I wouldn't believe - than saying 'we don't have a bullying problem' - which means that it's not out of control.

25/09/2012 at 08:44
Singleton wrote (see)

However, there's a difference between saying 'we have no bullying' - which I wouldn't believe - than saying 'we don't have a bullying problem' - which means that it's not out of control.

and saying "we don't have a problem with bullying" which would be a rather worrying statement!

25/09/2012 at 09:13

Apologies for earlier rants but this is something I'm quite passionate about, and cannot the stand passive stance that most organisations take, I have to deal with it in my work, so as a matter of interest do others see it in daily life and how do you combat this?

25/09/2012 at 09:23
EKGO wrote (see)

Apologies for earlier rants but this is something I'm quite passionate about, and cannot the stand passive stance that most organisations take, I have to deal with it in my work, so as a matter of interest do others see it in daily life and how do you combat this?

See my earlier post.

And `Most organisations`, really?!

25/09/2012 at 09:52

I meant the industrial organisations I have dealings with, as most seem to have some policy but are reluctant to ever use it over perceived legal difficulties

1 to 20 of 32 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.