When is a Chav not a Chav?

just a random thought. . .

41 to 60 of 95 messages
20/02/2013 at 20:41
Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
We all know what an elephant is but a " Chav " is a term, in it's modern sense, invented to label and divide people. Those attributes described above could describe a whole range of people. Sounds like some posh bird I heard today trying to get a refund in a ski clothing shop.

You go in ski shops? You posh bird. 

20/02/2013 at 21:00
They have a Runner's Need in a ski shop in Brighton. I'm not posh I'm just me. Not a chav or ant other label. (Yoda voice) Ooh serious, I am!
20/02/2013 at 21:04

I don`t think that anyone should be labelled just because they were brought up in a council house.

20/02/2013 at 21:07
The Egyptian Toe wrote (see)

I don`t think that anyone should be labelled just because they were brought up in a council house.

I'm not labelling anyone because they were brought up in a council house. I was brought up in a council house, but I'm not a chav. I know people from a middle class background who act chavvy. It's nothing to do with background.

20/02/2013 at 21:25
I think the argument depicts the truth, that, the term is meaningless. It's not this it's not that. What's the point? A person who act in a certain way depicts themselves fine enough without some social label. It's just a term for people who begrudge they can't call people niggers or pakis any more.
21/02/2013 at 02:22

Who says they can't?

21/02/2013 at 08:33
Rickster wrote (see)
The Egyptian Toe wrote (see)

I'm not labelling anyone because they were brought up in a council house. I was brought up in a council house, but I'm not a chav. I know people from a middle class background who act chavvy. It's nothing to do with background.

Quite right Rickster. I lived in a council house when I was younger and I'm not a chav. 

Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
I think the argument depicts the truth, that, the term is meaningless. It's not this it's not that. What's the point? A person who act in a certain way depicts themselves fine enough without some social label. It's just a term for people who begrudge they can't call people niggers or pakis any more.

No, the term for them is "racists" and there are probably just as many, if not more of them in the upper eschelons of society.

Edited: 21/02/2013 at 08:35
21/02/2013 at 08:43

Chav is a derogatory term for people of the lower social classes who exhibit exaggerated stereotypical attributes (tattoos, staffie, roll-ups, can of special brew in the hand, No 1 cut - and that's just the women, boom boom) but who also behave in an inconsiderate or antisocial manner.

You can be from that background and show all of those stereotypes and be a decent considerate person, in which case you're not a chav.

It's partly class but mostly behaviour that brings the label.

At the other end of the scale we have the ill-behaved upper classes, the so-called feral rich, who have their own derogatory names.

Comparing this to racially abusive terms is wrong and misses the point.

21/02/2013 at 09:28

I've got a Staffordshire terrier, beautiful chap called Harry 

i live in a council house with a lovely garden ,full of flowers

i wear sports gear all the time and don't use capitals when i know i should

but i hardly swear  and

don't drink alcohol  

Still i feel  qualified  to call myself  a  Chav

on a public forum.  

I'm a chav i am a chav i'm a chavvy

don't wipe my bum proper 

when i use the lavvy .

21/02/2013 at 10:14

I'm pointing at my post David.  

which coincidently was my

1111st.  

21/02/2013 at 11:00
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)
Screamapillar wrote (see)

Quite right Rickster. I lived in a council house when I was younger and I'm not a chav. 

Can someone point me to any post on the internet where people freely admit to being a chav?

Denying you are a chav does not make it so.

You seem to have misunderstood the reason for mine and Rickster's comments which is that The Egyptian Toe was equating being a "chav" with growing up in a council house. It has nothing to do with that at all.

And my denying that I'm a "chav" does make it so, I can assure you. I can give you a hundred reasons why but I don't need to - because you already know I'm not and are just trolling. 

BTW Danny Dyer once asserted he was a "chav" and proud of it.

21/02/2013 at 11:09

" Danny Dyer once asserted he was a "chav" and proud of it."

You mean that loser, hardman wannabe??

LOL, Danny Dyer is even lower in the food chain than a chav.

The very same. And I don't like him either. But it just goes to show you that some people wear the label with pride.

21/02/2013 at 11:49
Muttley wrote (see)

Chav is a derogatory term for people of the lower social classes who exhibit exaggerated stereotypical attributes (tattoos, staffie, roll-ups, can of special brew in the hand, No 1 cut - and that's just the women, boom boom) but who also behave in an inconsiderate or antisocial manner.

You can be from that background and show all of those stereotypes and be a decent considerate person, in which case you're not a chav.

It's partly class but mostly behaviour that brings the label.

At the other end of the scale we have the ill-behaved upper classes, the so-called feral rich, who have their own derogatory names.

Comparing this to racially abusive terms is wrong and misses the point.

Yes, this ^ ^ ^

21/02/2013 at 11:53

" Danny Dyer once asserted he was a "chav" and proud of it."

You mean that loser, hardman wannabe??

LOL, Danny Dyer is even lower in the food chain than a chav.

perhaps he's a wannabe chav.

people need to have aspirations.

21/02/2013 at 12:27

Julie, I think it's a horrible word, but not because I think it's racially abusive or comparable to racially abusive terms. I simply believe it fits into this detestable need so many people seem to have to label other people they don't like in order to make them feel good about themselves. I have to admit I've been guilty of this in my life, and probably will be again - but I recognise it's not a good trait.

21/02/2013 at 12:38
Scally ?
21/02/2013 at 12:52
Thought that was scouser ?
21/02/2013 at 17:15

The Liverpool accent evolved from a largely Irish population being afflicted with adenoid problems.

21/02/2013 at 18:01
The mentality is chronic self self deprecation, unless someone outside attacks them where they then then tell us what a sense of humour they have and had a great football team in the 1970s.
21/02/2013 at 20:31

Can someone point me to any post on the internet where people freely admit to being a chav?

You seem to have misunderstood the reason for mine and Rickster's comments which is that The Egyptian Toe was equating being a "chav" with growing up in a council house. It has nothing to do with that at all.

And my denying that I'm a "chav" does make it so, I can assure you. I can give you a hundred reasons why but I don't need to - because you already know I'm not and are just trolling. 

BTW Danny Dyer once asserted he was a "chav" and proud of it.

CH = Council House. QED.

41 to 60 of 95 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.