When you feel a cold is on its way...

What lotions and potions do you reach for?

21 to 27 of 27 messages
25/04/2013 at 14:15
mikasa wrote (see)

Elli - interesting reading. I wear contact lenses, and though I obviously wash my hands before I put them in/take them out, I work in an office where the air is really dry and the lighting bad so I do tend to rub my eyes quite often.

I don't know what's changed but the last couple of years I have had more colds than ever before (didn't used to be a sickly person at all!).

People who work in air-conditioned offices catch more colds.

Children are pretty good at spreading infections around, due to poor hygeine. So if you have more contact with them then that might explain it.

25/04/2013 at 14:38

We don't use the air-con as no one likes it. Don't have much contact with kids either.

25/04/2013 at 15:43

If I can feel a cold coming on, I will lay off the tea and coffee, drink at least a couple of litres of water, eat all the stodgy food I can find, and turn up the central heating, I sleep with windows open, and leave the heating on all night, it is the only time I ever wear clothing in bed, I wake up wringing wet and jump straight into a long hot shower, turn it down to cold before I get out and its usually gone or much less by lunch time. I always go to work as well (which helps) so am probably guilty of spreading it

25/04/2013 at 17:00

I sometimes get that snotty and tickly-throat feeling as if something is trying to work its way in. So I go for a run and 99 per cent of the time that seems to clear it. Maybe I blow it all out with the snot rockets.

On the very rare occasion I do get a cold it tends to be a real stinker. I work in an open-plan office and have no compunction at all taking as many days off as I need in order to a) not spread it and b) not go to work feeling awful.

And while I've got it, hot toddies with a very large slug of alcohol. I figure colds move on quicker when I'm half-pissed.

25/04/2013 at 18:36

I'm a biologist and pretty sceptical of all the cold remedies out there! As Demon Barber said, they could possibly prolongue your symptoms. Once the virus is inside your body, your white blood cells will already be fighting the infection. The snotty nose and temperature are a sign that your immune system is working so taking medication to stop this is likely to increase your time being ill.

Prevention is definitely the best method, avoid ill people, wash hands etc and ensure you're healthy day to day by eating, drinking water and sleeping well.

26/04/2013 at 21:59

I just don't get colds, even when family or work colleagues in tiny office are sneezing and coughing for all they are worth.  I used to get my fair share but nothing in probably the last 6 years or so.  I'd take it as a personal failing if I got one now.  When I remember I take a vit C and zinc supplement daily but its a bit hit and miss when I run out to remembering to buy another bottle.

When I used to get them I'd have a hot toddy, whisky, green ginger sugar heated in a pan.  Dont know if it cured it but I didn't care as much.

I do use handwash have a little bottle on my desk and in my bag. 

27/04/2013 at 08:35

I usually go the natural way and increase intake of ginger,garlic, chillies, honey etc.

I hardly get an off from work but sometimes I do. I have my cabin so there is less chance of spreading the germs.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 27 of 27 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.