Who was at the TUC 'auserity march' today?

101 to 117 of 117 messages
24/10/2012 at 11:52

I'm not pulling anything down, I simply won't use it (except for free books on my Kindle, which don't make Amazon any money anyway). My purchase on line yesterday (Moshi Monsters, £7.99) will be my last until they pay tax here on purchases from citizens living here. It won't make a dent in their profits, it will barely scratch their paintwork, but you have to find principles to live by, don't you?

When enough big organisations trading on line have located themselves in places like Luxembourg and the tax "take" becomes sufficiently small, the government might actually wake up and do something about it.

24/10/2012 at 11:59
I've always lived by my principles.
24/10/2012 at 11:59

Good.

24/10/2012 at 12:02
Save all the money I can on purchases, and pay as little tax as possible
24/10/2012 at 12:19

DTES, if you can't understand why it's wrong for someone or some entity to come over here, make lots of money but minimise the amount of tax they pay in the country they're earning it in, then I think you're just being a bit of a contrary bugger. You're obviously right to say it's not illegal, which means such loopholes need to be closed. However, it is clearly immoral wherever it's done.

24/10/2012 at 12:23

It isn't "wrong" or "immoral". It's just inappropriate.

24/10/2012 at 12:29

The last two paragraphs of the Guardian article I flagged yesterday:

"Earlier this year the Guardian revealed that Amazon generated sales of more than £3.3bn via its UK website last year but paid no corporation tax on any of the profits from that income.

"Security and Exchange Commission filings, highlighted by Bookseller magazine, show that in the past three years, Amazon generated sales of more than £7.6bn in the UK without attracting any corporation tax on the profits from those sales."

It's absurd to let a company have vast turnover here and not pay tax here, in relation to that turnover. If that turnover went through UK companies based here, the profits would be duly taxed and full VAT would be paid.

The question is, when will the government wake up to doing something effective about it? It's crazy for the tories to complain they're short of money while allowing potential tax revenue to be leaked away like this.

24/10/2012 at 12:36
As I said Peter I worked for a foreign company here in the UK for many years, and if the UK company had to submit accounts here in the UK we would have been declared bankrupt, but there was nothing illegal in it... They would have just moved the operation somewhere else if that was changed..

Oh that's what they did, and we all got made redundant, so Colin got his wish and the UK lost all our tax revenue, and had to pay us benefits....

Hope Colin is happy
24/10/2012 at 12:40

I'd be suprised that a company paying normal corporation tax (far lower than income tax, let's not forget, and in the UK one of the lowest levels of this type of tax in the western world) would find itself going bankrupt. If you don't actually make a profit, you don't have to pay it. So if the company you worked for wasn't profitable, it wasn't having to pay tax that made it so. You seem to believe it's ok for companies to play the tax system, so presumably you just shrugged your shoulders when made redundant and said 'I don't blame them for moving to a more tax-friendly zone'. Hey ho.

24/10/2012 at 12:42

It doesn't make me happy seeing the Luxembourg government enriched by my purchases on Amazon, because they're a tiny nation and so, only too happy to undercut everyone else on VAT. What sort of nonsense is that? My buying something has nothing to do with the Luxembourg government.

24/10/2012 at 12:43
What I believe is irrelevant...... Nothing illegal happened, and Colin got his way in that the company left the UK
24/10/2012 at 12:47

Another sigh. I think you're misrepresenting Colin, but wilfully because that's your way. You should take a leaf out of your former company's books and follow the cheap tax rates. Good luck.

24/10/2012 at 12:48
I am.... Not paying any at the moment, and you guys are all supporting me !

But doesn't Colin want companies who don't pay up to leave ?
24/10/2012 at 12:54

I don't want them to leave. I just want there to be a fair set of rules.

Anyway, I have to work now, so...

24/10/2012 at 12:55
Yes please Colin, it's giro day tomorrow and I need the cash
24/10/2012 at 12:57

As you say, you have principles.

24/10/2012 at 12:58
I do.... Now get back to work

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
101 to 117 of 117 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.