Who's the racist?

21 to 40 of 49 messages
18/10/2013 at 16:08

not in the same league.

18/10/2013 at 16:33
Sussex Runner NLR wrote (see)

Also stupid that it became part of a media circus in which we are now all part of. Is Hodgson's private monkey joke the same as that UKIP guys whore quip, I wonder? 

No

18/10/2013 at 16:56

Seems to be a bit of double standards here depending on how you like the person involved. Both cases fit the scenario of said something in private, used colourful language and storm by the media. 

18/10/2013 at 17:20

Why do people make a fuss about black people maybe being called monkeys

yet no one blinks an eye if you call the French frogs?

JFB
18/10/2013 at 17:45

"There was nothing at all wrong in what he said - unless it's racist to mention monkeys in front of black people under any circumstances"

What this fails to take into account is the long history of black football players being subjected to monkey chants at games (not so much in this country nowadays, but still abroad).  That's why it was a bit of a daft comment for RH to have made in the circumstances.  I don't suppose he meant to be derogatory, but it was a bit unfortunate.

18/10/2013 at 18:13

What about Yids? I don't think it was merely mentioning monkeys. It was an analogy where the black man was the monkey. To say he was merely mentioning a monkey in front of him was inaccurate.

Edited: 18/10/2013 at 18:15
18/10/2013 at 18:21

lets not forget that it was another black man who was the astronaut (chris smalling, the RB who was being told to get the ball to townsend at every opportunity)  The telling of the story had no relevance to the colour of anyones skin. 

18/10/2013 at 18:27

Astro means star and the star is the sign of the Jew

18/10/2013 at 18:55

Dean, I wish that had been brought to the fore in all the media stories, but if it had been there wouldn't have been a story I the first place.......

18/10/2013 at 19:04

I don't think your ukip man said whores NLR, I think he said sluts, I'm prepared to bow to your more intimate knowledge of the subject but I'm not quite sure the words have the same meaning?  

Even ukip have the right to be quoted accurately, haven't they?

18/10/2013 at 19:16

White DC Mayoral Staffer Loses Job for Saying "Niggardly"

http://www.adversity.net/ttl_final.GIF

Details of the Niggardly Controversy

Washington, DC's black Mayor, Anthony Williams, gladly accepted the resignation of his white staff member, David Howard, because Mr. Howard uttered the word 'niggardly' in a private staff meeting.

Webster's Tenth Edition defines the word 'niggardly' to "grudgingly mean about spending or granting".  The Barnhard Dictionary of Etymology traces the origins of 'niggardly' to the 1300's, and to the words 'nig' and 'ignon', meaning "miser" in Middle English.  No where in any of these references is any mention of racial connotations associated with the word 'niggardly'.

In other words, it's a perfectly good and useful word.  But there is the unfortunate coincidence that it starts with the same four letters as the word "nigger".  The news media are so loathe to use the "N" word, that they've been substituting the phrase "racial slur", as in "...they mistook the word 'niggardly' for a racial slur..."

Washington, DC's population is 60% black, and it's citizens have been very critical of Mayor Williams for "not being black enough" -- especially because he hired several well-qualified whites to help him run this troubled city.

Racial intolerance, ignorance, and misplaced political correctness have cost a white mayoral aide his job in Washington, DC.   And, as many of the other stories on Adversity.Net clearly illustrate, the "niggardly" controversy is only the tip of the "intolerance iceberg".

18/10/2013 at 19:55

you just know that Roy has had it explained to him how someone might construe it as racist, and he's probably sitting there thinking, "ah sh!t yeah...whoops"

Millsy1977 wrote (see)
I've never quite understood what "the Society Black Lawyers" are all about.
You only seem to hear of them when they are trying to blow things all out of proportion and trying to construct a racist incident when there wasn't one in the first place.

one of those odd groups. Imagine the outrage if anyone tried to set up a "White Lawyers group"

18/10/2013 at 20:03
JFB wrote (see)

"There was nothing at all wrong in what he said - unless it's racist to mention monkeys in front of black people under any circumstances"

What this fails to take into account is the long history of black football players being subjected to monkey chants at games (not so much in this country nowadays, but still abroad).  That's why it was a bit of a daft comment for RH to have made in the circumstances.  I don't suppose he meant to be derogatory, but it was a bit unfortunate.

No, it's you and others failing to take into account the historical context of the story itself which involves the space race in the 1960s; and associating something which was racist with something that wasn't because the animal in the story happened to be a monkey.

If you think about it with a sensible head on you'll realise the two things are entirely unrelated.

18/10/2013 at 20:25
Sussex Runner NLR wrote (see)

What about Yids? I don't think it was merely mentioning monkeys. It was an analogy where the black man was the monkey. To say he was merely mentioning a monkey in front of him was inaccurate.

The black man was only "the monkey" because he happened to be playing well on the night. Had Rooney been having a stormer of a game he would have been the monkey. 

Roy Hodgson could have used the same story with a team of all white players and it would been just as valid. It doesn't - and shouldn't matter that Townsend is black.

Townsend himself is flattered because he realises that in the analogy it's the monkeys that are important - the astronaut is only there to feed them.

18/10/2013 at 20:25

I just saw on bbc website that Andros Townsend says (correctly) that Roy Hodgson's words were a compliment to him.

And Dean's point that it was a black man who Hodgson was mainly addressing with his imploring to feed the monkey...kills the idea of racism stone dead... it should ever have flickered into life at all.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24577352

18/10/2013 at 20:46

Is anyone going to post that Special AKA song from their first album?

18/10/2013 at 21:24

Surely the real question here is if it wasnt Roy who went to the media, and it wasnt Andors who went to the media ....... and the only people who heard it were the first team and the substitutes .......... who did report it then???? Because someone did.

18/10/2013 at 21:48

Ellan Iquaniendo?

18/10/2013 at 21:50

Oh god, you'll set everyone off here with that one Sussex .....

Im not touching that one

18/10/2013 at 23:31
The whole thing is a pile of bollocks and shows how debased news values in the UK have become.
21 to 40 of 49 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.