"Why do parents let their kids get fat?"

41 to 60 of 107 messages
seren nos    pirate
27/09/2012 at 17:55

but that isn't feeding on demand .thats the old fashioned way that treats all babies as having the same needs and appetities at the same periods of growth......

which is fine if that is what you want.........but isn't quite the same as feeding on demand

my eldest wanted feeding and nothing would shut him up apart from food.................my middle son would wake up to eat and then forget about it and go back to sleep without eating............the4y are so all very different which is why all the books are crap

27/09/2012 at 18:01

Yes the books are def all crap - I read that Gina Ford one when I had my youngest in the middle of a bout of post natal depression - it almost put me over the edge.

27/09/2012 at 18:06

With regards to feeding on demand - obviously through growth spurts you feed more often ..... It's just that there is nothing wrong with some level of routine - I was given an excellent book on breast feeding which explained that to have a good milk supply you need to regulate how you feed your baby in the first few weeks. i.e. if you just feed them every time they open their mouths - you give them a trickle of milk each time.  Your body isn't stimulated properly to make a right good amount of milk and your baby doesn't get a right good feed. Result is that you feed little and often, your boobs make milk to conform to this pattern, your baby learns to feed every 2 mins and then you finally collapse in exhaustion and go buy a bottle.

Bringing in some level of routine, i.e making sure you go at least 2 hours between feeds but not more than 6 can help to ensure   a better milk supply and a more 'fed' baby.

Blisters    pirate
28/09/2012 at 02:04

Ah. boobs and feed. The problem being that boobs respond to increased demand with an increased supply. Unfortunately it's usually  a couple of days later than the demand. Or so we discovered with the boobs we had available.

Why don't babies read the instruction manuals?

28/09/2012 at 03:06
I used to work in GAME and at the beginning of every school holiday, especially summer, parents would bring their kids in to buy enough games to keep them busy over the holidays. Very sad to see. I would want to spend more time with my daughter than have her stuck in front of the TV.
28/09/2012 at 08:18

Hasn't Game or Gamestation gone bust now? 

28/09/2012 at 08:21
seren nos wrote (see)

and I think people are looking back with rose tuinted spectacles again.look at your old school photos.mine look the same as my sons......the majority normal.the few chunky kids and a few super skinny kids........

Seren I'm not sure if you're saying things haven't changed, they most definitely have, kids are not only heavier but they are all taller as well nowadays.  I can remember going to the USA for the first time in about 1985 and we were all amazed how many fat and obese people there were and couldn't believe it would be replicated in the UK.  Well it might have taken 20 years to catch up but it has, though the USA has probably maintained it's lead.  Again we're catching up

seren nos    pirate
28/09/2012 at 10:54

in the poast the bigger kids woyld just have to buy adult clothes or older clothes instead of plus size.....

JF50.I agree kids are getting taller woth bigger bones/ feet...............but my arguement is that in the groups of kids i see there are only a few obese.the same as when i was in school...................

i am suprised when people say when I was young al the kids were skinny...............I can only remmeber a few skinny kids.the majority normal randge and a few chunkuy kids............which is what i see now...

28/09/2012 at 11:09

I think our parents' generation had a whole other set of problems to deal with.

There were children with rickets, children who smoked from the age of 8 or 9, children with no shoes or one shared coat, living ten in a bed and catching all kinds of diseases that hardly exist now.

Nowadays there is obesity and tooth decay - I was horrified by a program recently that showed hundreds of children having to have their milk teeth removed because of hidden sugars in products such as tins of beans.

The similarity is that both problems were caused by poverty - our parents and grandparents couldn't afford good food, and people now are being conned into buying the cheapest, almost toxic "food" by the big food companies. We really haven't come very far in the last 50 or 60 years.

More regulation of food companies by the government might help.

28/09/2012 at 11:12

Seren I guess I go back a bit further than you when I think of school age, there were no obese children then in the UK

28/09/2012 at 11:54

I've checked my primary school photo and I promise you, 1 fat kid out of 30.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying most of the kids I see out and about these days are enormous, but they're carrying a great deal more puppy fat than we ever did.

28/09/2012 at 13:08

Re. the everyday activity thing. Some people here are about to move buildings so instead of being a couple of minutes from the train station they will have a 10-15 min walk. One person is seriously considering getting a bus  He's healthy and in his 30s, surely he could walk?!?

Blisters    pirate
28/09/2012 at 14:46

Truly sad LN, but very common.

Oh, and having met Joolska, I can't believe that she ever had so much as an ounce of puppy fat.

28/09/2012 at 16:00

There will always be parents who continually write little Johnny a note to say he's not fit to do PE and feed him on Maccy D's because he refuses to eat healthily.

Well if you don't keep buying him fast food he will have to eat healthy stuff if that's all you buy. Also, the reason he's not fit is because you keep excusing him from PE.

I'm not saying that most parents are like that, but there are a fair few of them.

Edited: 28/09/2012 at 16:03
seren nos    pirate
28/09/2012 at 16:32

when we were in school people used to just forge their own notes......

in my boys school now if you have a note to excuse you for PE you still have to get changed into kit and you have to do other jobs like umpiring etc......so its easier just to do the PE..........

Ricksteer...............its amazing how many kids can be as stubbing as adults......you can refuse them all foods unless they eat their veg.but how many days/ weeks are you prepared to go before either of them will give in.....

if i was given a plate of olives  or bruissekl sprouts and told i couldn't eat anything else until i had ate the olives then i would lose a hell of a lot of weight than eat them ...i would rather eat nothing..............

seren nos    pirate
28/09/2012 at 16:35

i didn't eat any veg until i was 18..although my brothers and sisters did..........I still only eat a minimum can get away with and bulk up on mushrooms and onions for my veg......

I ate chips 6 days a week quite often twice a day and roast potatoes on the 7th.............I ate rounds and rounds of bread to fill myself up..............yet I was slim in those years.......

i was not overweight like I am now when i eat a balanced varied diet.......

28/09/2012 at 16:58
seren nos wrote (see)

when we were in school people used to just forge their own notes......

in my boys school now if you have a note to excuse you for PE you still have to get changed into kit and you have to do other jobs like umpiring etc......so its easier just to do the PE..........

Ricksteer...............its amazing how many kids can be as stubbing as adults......you can refuse them all foods unless they eat their veg.but how many days/ weeks are you prepared to go before either of them will give in.....

if i was given a plate of olives  or bruissekl sprouts and told i couldn't eat anything else until i had ate the olives then i would lose a hell of a lot of weight than eat them ...i would rather eat nothing..............

Forge their own notes? "That require effort maaaaaaan. That's sooooooo sad." Skulks off with hoodie obscuring face to sulk and listen to rap music with indeciperable lyrics. 

seren nos    pirate
28/09/2012 at 17:56

must be easier to forge them now with comnputers.......................

28/09/2012 at 19:19

Seren - olives are poisonous anyway. I've heard them described as the devils'......erm....we'll say "eyeballs........."

28/09/2012 at 20:50

Olives poisonous?  Really, I quite like them.

How much PE gets done these days.  My little one has just started Reception but we've been told his PE kit has to stay in school in case they do it and it will be returned at half term!

41 to 60 of 107 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.