Why do the majority of the great British public...

61 to 80 of 109 messages
kittenkat    pirate
13/09/2012 at 13:16
PhilPub wrote (see)

OK, ignore the word pleasure.  I very, very rarely stop eating because I feel full. I stop eating because there is no food left on the plate.

Buffets at parties are very dangerous territory for me. 

13/09/2012 at 14:36

Yes, the goverment 5 a day message does say that you can only count juice as 1 of your 5 a day but it has been hijacked by food manufacturers and they apply their own standards to it. How many average people are going to look at all the finer points of the campaign and how many are going to just pay attention to the big label that tells them that something is healthy?

It's good that people are encouraged to eat more fruit and vegetables, but there is a huge element of willingly allowing ourselves to be deceived by it. When there are products like fruit loaf, pizza or a sausage & chips in onion gravy ready meal proudly claiming that they "contain 1 of your 5 a day" then something has gone wrong! Fine to eat those things just because you fancy them, but don't pretend you do it because they are "healthy"!

I just had a look on a few supermarket websites about how much fruit/veg makes up 1 of 5 a day and the standard line is "80g of fruit or vegetables is one portion and contributes to one of your five a day"

but the lawyer in me is asking why they have worded it as "contributes to one of your five a day" - probably because the product contains 80g of overprocessed, sugary, salty, pureed pulp that used to be a vegetable in a former life, and that doesn't really count as one portion the way the original campaign intended it!

13/09/2012 at 14:47

I loved the story that Mars have disowned the deep fried mars bar because "deep-frying one of our products would go against our commitment to promoting healthy, active lifestyles"

kittenkat    pirate
13/09/2012 at 14:51

I think Mars next TV advert should feature a deep fried bar and several heavily drunk people, I might just come up with a slogan...

A Mars a day gives you something to barf up with your hangover.

Marketing genius me. Who's hiring?

13/09/2012 at 14:56
kittenkat wrote (see)

I think Mars next TV advert should feature a deep fried bar and several heavily drunk people, I might just come up with a slogan...

might win them a slice of the donner kebab market.

13/09/2012 at 15:43

Ok this thread looks interesting but I can be arsed reading it.I have serious exercis and stuff to do Jezza Kyles on too

The drive through in our local Mc D's is rammed packed the queue is normally 30 cars long but the car park is empty.LOL people are so lazy they cant be bothered to park and walk into the place.

13/09/2012 at 15:52

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/h3RzinJ-j4nkCfblSi9pJgtbPrF1881aY9gGZu07YiBx0bqrIdEepsDtrzHHKoP48NA9iezgMg9Ilr21zINNkjiv13oSRYf5AM_h1ine9c5Lj1NTRw

kittenkat    pirate
13/09/2012 at 16:20
skotty wrote (see)
kittenkat wrote (see)

might win them a slice of the donner kebab market.

Wrap a slice round the Mars bar, then deep fry it. Market it as a complete meal.

13/09/2012 at 16:32

Love the escalator, irony at it's best

kittenkat    pirate
13/09/2012 at 16:37

JJB sports in Exeter has 2 escalators and a lift. No stairs.

13/09/2012 at 16:47
PhilPub wrote (see)
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/h3RzinJ-j4nkCfblSi9pJgtbPrF1881aY9gGZu07YiBx0bqrIdEepsDtrzHHKoP48NA9iezgMg9Ilr21zINNkjiv13oSRYf5AM_h1ine9c5Lj1NTRw

So only people who are able to walk up a steep flight of stairs should be allowed in?

(and the bloke on the escalator is actually walking up it....perhaps he's in a hurry)

13/09/2012 at 17:43

Guys, it's really easy to put on weight. How many of us piled the weight on when we got an injury?

It isn't all people stuffing Maccy Ds into their face.

If you eat one digestive biscuit too much a day over what you have burnt off you will put on a stone in a year. However by the opposite walk 20 minutes every day you will lose a stone over a year.

Gaining weight is often a sloww process such that you or your friends don't really notice until you become a lard arse.

13/09/2012 at 17:46
If becoming lardarse doesn't put people off then nothing will
13/09/2012 at 17:53

Once you become a lard arse it takes a lot of guts to then get out there and exercise. I know it sounds odd but women I know who could do with getting out there and walking the miles, let alone running the miles, feel self concious about it. Well that's what they say.

13/09/2012 at 18:22

My mother in law and brother in law are both extremely unfit and unhealthy - both obese, mother in law is a type 2 diabetic and only a matter of time before the brother in law is a well.  Fortuneately my wife is a very active dancer and is a size 8.

My in laws believe that any physical effort is inherently unhealthy and to be avoided if at all possible as is any fruit or vegitables etc.  They subsist on a diet of M & S ready meals plus cakes. They think I am weird excerising at all never mind the 6-7 hours a week that I do.

I think I lot of it has to to with upbringing coupled with negative reinforcement - some famlies are just brought up to be unhealthy and if the children remain close to their parents when they grow up they will remain unhealthy.

13/09/2012 at 19:31
No Piers, not a lard arse. lardarse
13/09/2012 at 23:31

...with nothing to look forward to in life except becoming worm food.  Probably better for them than ready-meals though.

14/09/2012 at 07:39

you can train your body to eat more like you can train your body to run more. You eat a big meal and you're stuffed, next time you eat that same sized meal you'll feel a little less stuffed etc etc. The problem is the large amount of refined sugar used in everything and sedantary lives - driving to an office job. Many people now have lunch at their office desk - and so that's it - they're on that seat all day.

Edited: 14/09/2012 at 07:40
15/09/2012 at 10:37
Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
If becoming lardarse doesn't put people off then nothing will

I'm so hurt. Yet touched that you remembered me

15/09/2012 at 12:19
15West wrote (see)

The problem is the large amount of refined sugar used in everything and sedantary lives - driving to an office job.

I pick up litter in the street where I live, and a large proportion of it is plastic bottles and cans for sugary drinks (like lucozade) and stimulant drinks (like red bull)

I used to see people in the office drinking full sugar lucozade with their lunch. People that do no exercise.

61 to 80 of 109 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.