Why do the majority of the great British public...

81 to 94 of 94 messages
18/09/2012 at 11:27
MikeFrog wrote (see)
15West wrote (see)

The problem is the large amount of refined sugar used in everything and sedantary lives - driving to an office job.

I pick up litter in the street where I live, and a large proportion of it is plastic bottles and cans for sugary drinks (like lucozade) and stimulant drinks (like red bull)

I used to see people in the office drinking full sugar lucozade with their lunch. People that do no exercise.

I did a 20 miler race earlier this year, which was 4 x 5 mile circuit, and ran past the same little group of overweight supporters on each lap. Every time I passed them they were chugging a can of Red Bull or a bottle of Lucozade - the runners got a couple of sips of energy drink once a lap!

I saw some recent photos of the guy I knew who had the gastric band fitted, 4 years on from his operation. He lost so much weight but he looks horrendous, cadaverous and malnourished - like a male version of Chloe from Fight Club. I guess the surgery has its place in some situations, but I can't imagine that it has done his long term health much good.

25/09/2012 at 14:56

What 20,000 calories a day does to you:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/12120689

25/09/2012 at 15:05

i don't think he has seen it for a long time.

25/09/2012 at 16:03

I've lost 4 and a half stone, and still have a BMI in the high 26s (now 11st 1lb) everyone i know says how great i am now and that I don't need to loose any more, and yet to get down to a bmi of 22.5 which is not even the low end of the healthy range i would still need to loose another 11kg.  I agree we seem to be conditioned that large is good 

Blisters    pirate
28/09/2012 at 01:53

wow, good hit KK, you got this one going!

I've had me shots tonight. I need a drop of kip, but I'll not get enough. Tomozz I'll have to pay with some exercise.

01/10/2012 at 14:26
02/10/2012 at 14:59

That's so gross. I couldn't actually watch it.

15/10/2012 at 12:49

Excessive sitting bad for health

"...She added: "People convince themselves they are living a healthy lifestyle, doing their 30 minutes of exercise a day. But they need to think about the other 23.5 hours."

Edited: 15/10/2012 at 12:50
17/10/2012 at 09:03
17/10/2012 at 14:39

@Colin - I think there are a lot of times when our brain "seeks out fat," as per that article.

After I had my son, and he refused to sleep for two and a half years, I would come downstairs in the morning and just hoover up the unhealthiest food I could find. Porridge or fruit had no appeal at all, I wanted fat, sugar and salt, I didn't care.

We are definitely programmed to feed ourselves in stressful times, which is one of the reasons it can be so hard to lose weight.

As soon as my boy started sleeping through most nights, I found it much easier to keep my resolve and get the weight off. What a difficult time that was.

Dark Vader    pirate
17/10/2012 at 18:44

Its a good topic kk..

I'm not sure about what most people think, but I do know some people who just choose to use their limited free time for things other than sports or physical exercise...   its not so much a dislike for sports, just a time management thing...  and the health benefits of sports aren't totally ignored, its just not a priority compared to other interests in their lives..

17/10/2012 at 19:13

People just do what they want or not, they like eating a lot so they do, they like smoking so they smoke, they like drinking so they drink, they don't like taking exercise so they don't. Since no-one is forcing them to adopt a healthier way of living the default position is that whatever they do must be ok. Surely if what they did was so wrong, the government would have stopped them.

23/10/2012 at 20:35
24/10/2012 at 08:41

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
81 to 94 of 94 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.