Why have we got a celebrity culture?

21 to 33 of 33 messages
18/01/2013 at 13:54

I don't think that you can tune it out; there is always a 'celebrity', a thing that you know that doesn't know you that you view in a certain subjective manner. It could be a revered obscure fell runner or it could be a guest on Jeremy Kyle who ticked all of your prejudice boxes.

18/01/2013 at 15:51

my point is that you can choose to a large degree how you are going to let it affect you. i don't go looking for z list slebs in the papers, or for telly shows that feature them, and if i come across them, i tend to gloss over them, as they don't interest me on the whole, unless their celebrity comes as a result of excelling at something that does interest me.

so my attention is drawn away from, and not towards z list slebs, and some of where i focus my attention is within my control, or under my influence.

18/01/2013 at 16:00

Listening to many of the people I work with, I think celebrity culture has grown to fill a gap in people's lives.  Nobody that I work with seems to have a hobby other than following crap tv and soaps.

18/01/2013 at 16:27

I think if people are genuinely entertained in a Pavlovian sense by Celebrity Big Brother or X Factor then that's for them and not for me or, I suspect, many of us. We're all filling gaps in our life, show me the entirely fulfilled person and I will show you a liar or a delusional. 

Hate to appear like an apologist for society's ne'er do wells but when people criticise people for liking 'inane' celebrities they're generally usually insulting someone closer to home without realising it.

18/01/2013 at 16:35

You are right that we all have gaps to fill and we all chose different ways of doing it.  I'm sure there are some people who need what I consider to be mindless drivel in their lives.

I don't have tv and I generally avoid the papers, except occassionally browsing through one that is left lying around in the coffee room at work.  I have no idea who most of these celebrities are.  Maybe I'm the one missing out on something.

18/01/2013 at 16:58
sevendaughters wrote (see)

I don't think that you can tune it out; there is always a 'celebrity', a thing that you know that doesn't know you that you view in a certain subjective manner. It could be a revered obscure fell runner or it could be a guest on Jeremy Kyle who ticked all of your prejudice boxes.

I was once in a shop a decade ago and had one of those moments.

I told the subject when they expressed surprise at being recognised that it was a mark of fame when someone they didn't know , knew who they were.

Mo Farah is a little more famous these days.

18/01/2013 at 17:07
RicF wrote (see)
sevendaughters wrote (see)

I was once in a shop a decade ago and had one of those moments.

I told the subject when they expressed surprise at being recognised that it was a mark of fame when someone they didn't know , knew who they were.

Mo Farah is a little more famous these days.

Heh!

25/01/2013 at 15:06

We have a celebrity culture because there are an extreme number of TV broadcasting hours, radio broadcasting hours, pages of newspapers and magazines, etc, that need to be filled - which requires material to fill them.

The media identify personalities who are becoming well known for one reason or another, and then build them up to suit their own needs.

We get to hear about the lives and activities of the "personalities" whether we want to or not.

06/02/2013 at 14:59

The Bobcat Goldthwait film 'God Bless America' has a funny, albiet dark take on this.  It will make you despise the people that talk about Xfactor and other such crap on your lunch break at work even more. 

Stop watching reality TV and go for a run... you know who you are! (:

08/02/2013 at 14:33

Media - Always been gossip etc but most people were famous in their own locality.

With National Media, TV channels (many devoted to rubbish) and the Internet, people become known much wider. The Village idiot is now the Global Village idiot, although it is interesting that the village is usually in Essex.....

I often watch the opening episode of  Big Brother, dancing on ice etc just to make sure that I don't know any of the 'celebrities'. The fact I don't know them is a source of comfort to me. The day I know them all is the day I will seek professional help for having gone mad and started watching and reading rubbish

08/02/2013 at 15:21

It's a conspiracy to take our minds off the daily oppression that is capitalism. There. I said it.

08/02/2013 at 19:31
Celebrity is shameful, sure, but I think little shits like Chris Huhne set a far worse example than some brainless twenty-something who just wants to be famous.
11/02/2013 at 10:04

Not to mention a little shit like his wife.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 33 of 33 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.