Why it's so hard to change your life...

Let's face it, so many people fail in their NY resolutions

1 to 20 of 21 messages
29/12/2012 at 09:38

Why do people wait till new year?  Because it puts off having to do it now.

It's not doing, it's procrastinating.

29/12/2012 at 09:43

People set there goals too high 

Im going to lose 10 stone, Im going to run everyday for a year

should read

Im going to lose a pound ,then another ,then another

Im going to run today 

Small steps long gains. I think its a good idea to plan so New Year resolutions can work. It gives you a start date. For example Im doing things in the New Year I havent done before not becuase its a resolution but because it suits me to do it then. But I will call them resolutions so i sound hip and cool 

29/12/2012 at 11:33

Procrastination isn't really the problem, its the plethora of choice available of what to do or change. Which horse do you back? which is the winning ticket?

Here, there, everywhere getting nowhere.

Or as my dad described my sister, 'doesn't know what she wants, but wants it anyway'.

29/12/2012 at 11:43

If there's so much a person needs to change that they can't make up their mind where to start, that's just them being a mess, it's nothing to do with making resolutions.

29/12/2012 at 13:02

I had a health scare a couple of years ago - all the tests came back negative so basically the doctor poked me in the stomach and said oi fatty lose some!! I started running again after a 11 year break on the 31st December 2010 - lost 3 stone and have run pretty much everyday since - still have a long way to go another stone to get down to about 10 and a couple of minutes per mile off my race times - But the significance of the date - I didn't want a 1st of January new years resolution type start ( I Suppose it helped having already been a massive athletics fan and runner for a lot of my life)

29/12/2012 at 13:06

I had a health scare a couple of years ago - all the tests came back negative so basically the doctor poked me in the stomach and said oi fatty lose some!! I started running again after a 11 year break on the 31st December 2010 - lost 3 stone and have run pretty much everyday since - still have a long way to go another stone to get down to about 10 and a couple of minutes per mile off my race times - But the significance of the date - I didn't want a 1st of January new years resolution type start ( I Suppose it helped having already been a massive athletics fan and runner for a lot of my life) 

Does this count as life changing (to me it did - back doing what I love most)

29/12/2012 at 13:23

I don't go in for new year's resolutions for exactly the reasons Mr. P gives - if you need to change something, just do it. Why wait until a certain date?

I think a lot of people feel that it's the done thing to make a resolution, even if they have no intention of sticking to it, or perhaps no idea/plan in mind as to how they'll achieve it. I think the lack of thought/planning if probably the reason most people fail. 

29/12/2012 at 15:53
It's so hard to change your life, because it is HARD !

As usual the can't be bothered to make an effort, the want something for nothing people give up far to easily

You can do anything if you want it enough
29/12/2012 at 16:04

WHAT?

you can't just make an important change in your life just any time you like you know!!

THERE WOULD BE CHAOS.

it must be done on January 1st.

29/12/2012 at 17:54

that might work.

this slapdash attitude to resolutions makes my corns act up.

29/12/2012 at 18:00
I'm making a resolution not to look at the internet (including RW) until after the kids are in bed.

I think it helps to quit bad habits having a fixed start date. Of course I could stop right now, but I could always put it off until tomorrow. And we all know that tomorrow never comes.

Sticking to a resolution requires willpower whatever date you start on.
29/12/2012 at 18:20

Your kids will be going to bed earlier and earlier then.

29/12/2012 at 18:30
I'm making a resolution today of not making any New Years resolutions !
I think people are expected to do certain things on certain dates e. g. Why do a lot of people propose to their partners on valentines day and not 15th feb ? I will always do something when I want to do it and not because tradition dictates I should. Hope that doesn't affect your corns too much dude
29/12/2012 at 18:36
I proposed on the 15 th of feb
29/12/2012 at 18:42
Respect
29/12/2012 at 18:43
She was expecting me to propose on Valentines Day so waited til breakfast the following day !
29/12/2012 at 18:46

I only have two new year's resolutions:

1. Stop biting my nails.

2. Stop swearing.

I can only try my best...

29/12/2012 at 18:50

i resolve to stop bickering with rickster on here

29/12/2012 at 18:56

...and why would you want to do that? 

29/12/2012 at 19:06

arghh....tooo....difficult...*gag*

1 to 20 of 21 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.