Why should I read Born to Run? How much explanation can running take?

'I ran a lot ........ the end .......'

1 to 20 of 32 messages
15/03/2013 at 09:14

Why read anything?

"I rode my bike a lot and had cancer.  I won lots of stuff. The end."

"I swam at the North Pole. The end."

"I walked to the South Pole. The end."

"I climbed a massive hill with my mates. The end."

"I song songs and made a lot o money. The end."

15/03/2013 at 09:17
It's a bit Catch 22 for me David. I think it's probably bullshit but I can't say that for sure because I haven't read it. If I do read it then I have succumb to all the hype. Maybe if I find it in the cabana hut on my next Caribbean holiday I might give it a quick read.
15/03/2013 at 09:26

I have just finished it - there is a review on Amazon too that is excellant - did it make me want to become an ultra runner no, did it make me want to try bare foot running - yes and the blisters have only just gone down. I did think it was funny as he mentions lance armstrong a few times!!!!

If you want a good book to read Plimsoles on Eyer Balls out the Jim Peters Biography and from Last to First the Charlie Spedding autobiography - now they do inspire - just the stories of two guys who trained very hard rather than fannying around in the mountains

15/03/2013 at 09:29

David, agreed there's not much benefit you reading it, as you'd massively improve your times just by running more!

Edited: 15/03/2013 at 09:31
15/03/2013 at 09:33
I like to read for inspiration more than anything. The fell mountain thing was good for that. I kinda know the human foot was "designed" for gripping trees rather than running but what can I do about it? Chop it off and put a gazelle foot on there?
15/03/2013 at 09:42

Great story spoilt by all the American macho language. I gave up. whoop, whoop, kick ass, etc.

15/03/2013 at 09:55
All you haters have the film to look forward to
15/03/2013 at 10:02

David, this chap shows you troll successfully

15/03/2013 at 10:09

Cheeky David. Clearly Ultras are for people who find that the pain of a mere marathon doesn't satisfy their masochistic urges!

15/03/2013 at 10:35

Tend to be a bit suspicious of anything wondrous emanating from the good ol USA.

Its odds on that the promoters of anything have an ulterior motive, usually to relieve Joe Public of large amounts of cash.

15/03/2013 at 11:51

These days they seem more motivated by the almighty book, which is even worse (IMO)

Agree about the macho language but stick with it and its an interesting read. Not as half as good as 'Feet in the clouds' or 'Survival of the fittest' for me though.

15/03/2013 at 12:00

it depends how it is written.

if it is well-written, the content barely matters. to me, at any rate.

15/03/2013 at 12:08

I've read it. It was an ultra for me, with several points where I almost DNF'd. Far more enjoyed listening to "Eat & Run" which crosses over some of the Born to Run story

WiB
15/03/2013 at 12:10
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

I was tempted to post in the Ultra section 'Are Ultramarathons just for people who can't run very fast?' ...... but then thought 'nah too easy and probably been done already'

Ooh Ooh... can I bite?! I am just joking. Your bait is poor quality! or is that poorly presented?

With regards to the book, I have read it and for the most part enjoyed it. I think there is elaborations and such like in it but there is also some very interesting stuff. It was quiet easy to read so if you have the time to have a glance at it then you may enjoy it. If not, you just close it and put it down

Edited: 15/03/2013 at 12:13
WiB
15/03/2013 at 12:38

(You knew I'd pop up here somewhere).

I read it very recently and found it riveting. But I think that was influenced by having entered my first ultra. And a colleague asked if I'd read it, seeing as I do so much running, and it struck me that I probably should.

I thought it was well written - McDougall was a war correspondent and journalist (I think) so once you're past the Americanisms the dialogue isn't too much of a struggle and it's a good story, interspersed with some interesting research and science-y bits.

I took a few things away from it - mainly that we're not so different from the characters in this book - all flawed (except me of course) and that this tribe of runners will probably not exist within a few generations.

I'd like to read something equally as interesting, but from the other side of the argument. In fatc, it's not even particularly preachy.

15/03/2013 at 12:45

Well, just as every other indigenous tribe around the World will eventually feel the pressure of 'civilised' society, the tribe in this book are already being affected. Perhaps I could have worded it better.

If you read the book, you'll know more. 

15/03/2013 at 13:05

Snap, you just reminded me that Caballo Blanco died last year 

DF3, don't read it as its not your type of book

15/03/2013 at 13:15

Oh. Shame. He was completely mad.

15/03/2013 at 13:20

Aye, died whilst running which is probably how he would have chosen to go - he wasn't destined to have a heart attack whilst munching a Big Mac! 

15/03/2013 at 13:20

In so much as anyone who runs that much must have a screw loose somewhere.

Why do I fear being trolled on this site?

1 to 20 of 32 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.