Wiggo..... Arrogant?

21 to 38 of 38 messages
seren nos    pirate
03/08/2012 at 14:51

i had no idea that it was hampton court..............how is it  a famous building......yes it has a famous past.,but its not like you see pictures of it on tele or in books..............buckingham palace maybe classed as famous as they are always showing that on tv......

i like him as he seems down to earth and just pleased that he got the wins that he has worked for

03/08/2012 at 15:06

I like to think I'm a fair-minded person and I also have a bit of an aversion to people with too much attitude, whether it is good or bad. In my book too much either way comes across as false. In Bradley Wiggins I think we have an absolute gem. He's a bit quirky with some individual style and its obvious the style in which he does things shown by his sideburns and clothing, his extreme fair play, and the respctful way he talks about his competition is very important to him. He won in good style and I cannot for the life of me see arrogance in his behaviour, I like his style.

bburn plO.dder    pirate
03/08/2012 at 15:50
EG Graham wrote (see)

In Bradley Wiggins I think we have an absolute gem. He's a bit quirky with some individual style and its obvious the style in which he does things shown by his sideburns and clothing, his extreme fair play, and the respctful way he talks about his competition is very important to him. He won in good style and I cannot for the life of me see arrogance in his behaviour, I like his style.

+1 on that !!

seren nos    pirate
03/08/2012 at 15:53

his discusiion about only golds counting was nothing to do with the race...................the commentators were trying to tell him he was the best british olympian ever.........and his remark was that although he had more medals than steve redgrave     ........steve had more golds and to him that was the sign of the best olympian............

not that the other medals didn't count...but if you were looking for the best olympian ever then you should look at gold medals.........

03/08/2012 at 16:02

I don't really know enough about him prior to the last week to make a comment but judging by what i've seen I wouldn't see him as arrogant, I would say he is very opiniated, I liked his going back out to salute and celebrate the crowd after the event but didn't like the comment about celebrating with the 'real fans' lining the streets as oppose to the 'prawn sandwich-fest' of supporters inside who had tickets, I found that uncomfortable.

03/08/2012 at 16:50

seren - That's a very good point, I remember the interview now.  So actually, he was trying to be modest by suggesting that Steve Redgrave is still the greatest British Olympian.  I caught Chris Hoy making similarly humble remarks on the telly yesterday evening.

Vicar - tell your mate he needs to work on his listening comprehension. 

03/08/2012 at 17:28

Jwheezy, I thought his 'prawn-sandwich' comment was directed at those in the  grandstands (bigwigs, sponsors et al).   

Edit: just to clarify that even if you bought a ticket you didn't get access to that area.

Edited: 03/08/2012 at 17:29
03/08/2012 at 18:09

Jwheezy - yes, you misunderstood that.  Prawn sandwiches are analogous to corporate hospitality, not people who can afford to buy a ticket.

Poor old Brad, he's probably better off not giving interviews.

03/08/2012 at 18:23
MikeFrog wrote (see)

Hampton Court? He probably needs a different saddle then...

Ba doom tish! (Hands MF his coat and opens the door ...)

03/08/2012 at 22:40

I'm here all week....

04/08/2012 at 11:51

I don't think he is, and I think he comes across as very 'normal' in this little clip, even if he says so himself :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1ISVC7GxX8

04/08/2012 at 17:16

Hi FF, sorry I thought even the grandstand area would have had tickets open for sale to the general public?  In regards to bigwigs and sponsors etal all events have these.

PhipPub, my understanding of corporate hospitality tickets is that they are still paid for and so why should they be seen as any less as 'fans' lining the street?

04/08/2012 at 17:25

Jwheezy just watch a televised wembley international, the Corporate area or Club Wembley whatever they call it empties before half time and doesn't fill up again until 10-15 minutes into the second half. It is disrespectful to players and other fans alike, and shows the Corporate fan is more interested in his refreshments than the result, hence why sportsmen disregard the corporate fans.

04/08/2012 at 17:41

EG, I understand your point but without the higher priced tickets (typically corporate boxes/hospitality and sponsors areas) cheaper tickets wouldn't be as cheap and not all visitors via corp hospitality or sponsors are the same.

Anyway sorry I've taken the discussion away from the OP question.

06/08/2012 at 13:30

I'm really glad that after I've flogged my guts out to negotiate a difficult contract at work, I don't have a whole host of people ready to tell me that I should have smiled more or been less arrogant about it.

Bradley Wiggins is a BRILLIANT cyclist. Why does he have to be "nice" or "humble" as well?

06/08/2012 at 16:02

Same reason as anyone else I suppose - being good at something doesn't excuse being nasty or arrogant  - though personally I think Wiggo comes across as quite modest and grounded.   

06/08/2012 at 16:40

Not saying he's not nice or humble, but his job is to race and concentrate on cycling not to suck up to TV presenters. He gives it his all, achieves something amazing, gets through the interviews (and I agree with you actually, I thought he came across very well), and then people are criticising him for being "arrogant" - maybe he's just not that brilliant performing in front of the cameras? Should our athletes start building in PR and schmoozing practice into their training schedules?

Perhaps we have got so used to inane reality tv shows that are scripted and edited down to the tiniest detail that we don't recognise a "normal" reaction when we see it. I wonder how many of the people using the forum would come across well on TV if they were being interviewed.  

06/08/2012 at 23:12

Absolutely agree with you on that.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 38 of 38 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.