Women can choose Caesarean section

61 to 80 of 88 messages
24/11/2011 at 13:16
or beer.
24/11/2011 at 13:18
Yeah.. But the amount of beer required would leave most guys incapable surely ?
24/11/2011 at 13:20

probably yes although we might be getting slightly off-topic here.

but it appears from the relevant information that some fat women do actually have sex.

24/11/2011 at 13:34
I'm married.... So I wouldn't know
24/11/2011 at 21:34
seren nos wrote (see)
but for a young mother..........we all hear stories of 24 hours and more in labour in agony.......and stories of having our lady bits cut open with a knife or ripped open by a babies head.......of pooing ourselves when we were pushing........ but you rarely hear stories of bad c sections.......just heard one above ......but you rarely hear the horror stories............ so for a pregnant woman .which sounds better...........even though its not the best thing medically........

I think there might be something in that. Natural birth per se doesn't worry me, but you hear absolute horror stories coming out of maternity wards nowadays. At least with a C-section you know that you have to have a team around you and you're not going to be left to give birth in a corridor.

That said I really can't see myself electing for a C-section. I'd rather get the grandparents to have a whip around for a private midwife! When the NHS is so overstretched I'm not really sure it can be justified. 

I'd be interested in a good study on women's motivations and the reasons behind the rise in C-sections. I really don't buy the Heat theories... 

Edited: 24/11/2011 at 21:42
24/11/2011 at 21:41
Vaginal birth hurts but for me was ok I have four kids, one born in USA where I was a freak for   having no epidural, one born at home by mistake with no pain relief,  twins who were induced with gas and air after pre-eclampsia for 3 and a bit weeks. Based on a key hole gall bladder removal recentlywhich  is agony, child birth was  a sinch by comparison.
24/11/2011 at 21:46
Only fleetingly read your comments but my first born was a c-section, emergency after being induced (2 weeks overdue) which was I can say a horrible experience.... my second was a natural birth after insisting that i wouldn't be induced no matter what happened, the consultant expected that I was going to request a C-section and got arsey with me... soon put him in his place... natural birth is not nice, but niether is the horrible experience I had being induced then waiting 48 hours in 'false labour' before eventually having a section... Second birth was also a 'proceedure' as had a vanteuse (sp) and was cut from front to back... am am over 30, far from obsese and definitely not lazy, last one was still over 30 hours
25/11/2011 at 08:49

Two children (8lb15oz and 9lb9oz), 'normal' delivery, no pain relief of any description. What's the problem?

25/11/2011 at 09:30
Womble wrote (see)

Two children (8lb15oz and 9lb9oz), 'normal' delivery, no pain relief of any description. What's the problem?

similar for me. no problem at all.

my wife was screaming a bit though.

25/11/2011 at 11:11
The article I read said that c sections would be given to women who were very afraid of labour - the sort who are so phobic that they will actually terminate a pregnancy rather than go through labour. Whilst one could argue that the money involved could be better spent on improving the labour experience for everyone (training and employing more midwives, for instance), it is rather different from giving sections on demand.
seren nos    pirate
25/11/2011 at 11:15
so i take it you have to ask for the c-section in the first few months of pregnancy and show signs of a phobia for this to be allowed.........can't see many thinking of it that early on........
the arguement wouldn't work if you were 8 months pregnant and realised you were carrying a whopper
so its a big fuss about nothing...........
only a handleful of these would be done a year.........
25/11/2011 at 11:16
Oh Womble, for some reason I always though you were a boy. I do apologise.
27/11/2011 at 14:14
I is definitely a girl womble, otherwise MrFrog has a problem......
27/11/2011 at 14:30
It sounds from the comments that a few of us on here have had horrid c-section experiences.

I had an emergency one with my son and it was probably the most painful and terrifying experience of my life. In retrospect I think something went wrong as I have had many chats with ladies since AND had subsequent abdominal surgery (which I swear was a piece of cake in comparison).

For my daughter I refused the offered section on the grounds that 24 hours of pain could not be as bad as the pain I went through first time.

Okay so an assisted VD wasn't great either (forceps - thank you anaesthetists everywhere for the blessing that is the epidural) but it was STILL a lot better than a section.

I wonder if folks choosing a section really understand what they are letting themselves in for - or if I just had a very bad experience.
28/11/2011 at 17:18

Very topical subject for me - my second child is due to be born by c-section next Monday.

No 1 was an emergency section after 14 hours of labour after being induced 2 weeks overdue.  Not a pleasant experience, and I got MRSA afterwards, which meant I was about 10 weeks without driving (the wound didn't heal properly due to the infection).

I have to say that in this pregnancy, I was given a LOT of information about VBAC and c-sections, and I felt that I could make an informed decision. Despitie initially wanting to try VBAC, once I had weighed up all the risks and benefits, I opted for an elective section - the size of the baby at the 34 week scan, the possibility of a weak scar making rupture more of a risk and my age (almost 44) being the major factors. 

I wonder how much of the NICE change is actually to do with the number of requests, and whether actually the change in "rules" will have a huge impact on the number of c-sections that are performed?  If I had been given the choice first time round, there's no way I'd have chosen a c-section over a normal birth, and I suspect that most first time mothers would feel the same.

I know all hospitals are different, but I expect to be in for 5 days following my section.  Given that if I were a second time mum with no complications, I could be in and out in 6 hours, there's a huge cost to the NHS for a section, over and above the cost of the birth itself (one midwife plus a share of a consultant versus 10 people in the theatre).

28/11/2011 at 17:43
Nessie, I wish you all the best and hope that both you and babe are fighting fit afterwards.
28/11/2011 at 23:15

All the best Nessie.  Hope all is nice and calm and baby will arrive with that nice unsquished look.

I had an attempted VBAC for my second.  I don't remember being given the option of an elective C section.  I was induced early Labour didn't progress, baby went into distress followed by rush to theatre and second emergency section.   

28/11/2011 at 23:28
I thought a woman could only have a max of 2 sections anyway? Or is it 3.
29/11/2011 at 00:06
I don't know that there is a limit as such, they don't deliver your second and tell you not to get pregnant again.    I don't know, maybe after three or four they might suggest you find something else to do.
29/11/2011 at 16:49

Thanks for the good wishes .  A does have a beautifully shaped head, having not made it all the way out downwards, so presumably #2 will have a good chance of not looking squished on exit too.

I don't know if it's something new (the advice changes all the time) or if it's just my local health authority/hospital, but I was told that they don't induce if you have had a previous section.  Apparently the risk of rupture in a VBAC is 1/150, but that goes down (up?) to 1/75 if you are induced.  Not a good stat.  They also don't do electives until 39 weeks (it was 37 a couple of years ago when a colleague had hers) as it gives the baby's lungs more chance to dry out (I've not heard the deafness thing, but the lungs get squeezed on the way out too, clearing out the fluid).  Given the Braxton Hicks's I've been having the last couple of days, I'm hoping there is some clearing happening already..........

I was also told that if I had a second section, I wouldn't have the option for a VBAC next time - it would have to be a section - so I guess if there is a limit, it's more than 2.  Not an issue, as this is number 2 of 2 for us.

61 to 80 of 88 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.