Women can choose Caesarean section

1 to 20 of 95 messages
kittenkat    pirate
23/11/2011 at 08:27

BBC Article

I know that they have to have a valid reason, but it seems that this might be a fear of giving birth naturally.

I just don't know whether this is a good idea. I've had 2 sections and one had complications.

Any thoughts? I just still wonder why any woman would want one except for serious enough medical reasons.

That said, natural births aren't a walk in the park for most either.

23/11/2011 at 08:40
I think there is a perception that caesars are 'routine' and easier than a vaginal delivery. People don't realise that a casear is major surgery and can cause a lot of problems, or that they impact on future deliveries.
23/11/2011 at 08:45

Can't help but think it should be left up to the person with years of training or experience to make the call.......

.... No I suppose you should never trust a gynaecologist

seren nos    pirate
23/11/2011 at 08:46
My sister in law insisted on her second being a caersarean for her second one 16 years ago...........no medical reason.....the first one hurt....she had a grand total of 1 stitch..........she made so much fuss whilst pregnant that they agreed that she could have one..
gave her an excuse to sit on her backside for even longer than the first one.................

kittenkat    pirate
23/11/2011 at 08:47
Slugsta wrote (see)
I think there is a perception that caesars are 'routine' and easier than a vaginal delivery. People don't realise that a casear is major surgery and can cause a lot of problems, or that they impact on future deliveries.

Yeah that's my worry, but itsn't it strange that that is a perception, given it's majob abdominal surgery.

I guess (but I'm only guessing) that there is a fear that things won't be the same downstairs after a vaginal delivery.

I did envy women that could just pop them out and then to all intents and purposes, be fine almost instantly.

That happened to my friend, I drove her at 90 mph down the dual carriageway to hospital whilst eating a cheese sandwich (her not me) and then 1/2 an hour later... Babe in arms.

kittenkat    pirate
23/11/2011 at 08:52
seren nos wrote (see)
My sister in law insisted on her second being a caersarean for her second one 16 years ago...........no medical reason.....the first one hurt....she had a grand total of 1 stitch..........she made so much fuss whilst pregnant that they agreed that she could have one.. gave her an excuse to sit on her backside for even longer than the first one.................

See that's madness to me, my first c recovery was so painful. I got to the point where I ordered people not to make me laugh because it hurt so much.

And sneezing just made me hit the roof.

The second one was much better but still...

seren nos    pirate
23/11/2011 at 08:57
i would have paid thousands to have one when I was in labour though during my first two...........the buggers wouldn't even let me have an epidural ........I was glad afterwards but at the time i was mad......
the first one it was on a weekend and the aneasthnetist would only do emergency caesareans on a weekend.........and the second was on a monday morning and the anaesnatist was doing all the routine caesareans then

sorry no spell check at the moment
23/11/2011 at 08:58

It does seem strange, but then I'm hardly an expert.  I agree with patient choice, but I fail to see many advantages of a caersarean that wasn't recommended by a professional.  Would many people go back to the days of a major wound for any other operation when keyhole surgery was available, for example?

I believe that they are common in America.  The major advantage being that you can schedule your delivery in for a specific day (assuming that the baby isn't early) and plan your life around it.  It also helps the staff, as they can perform all the deliveries in a 9-5 job instead of at all hours of the day and night.  Not sure that makes it best for the patient though.

seren nos    pirate
23/11/2011 at 09:25
the major reason for them in america is to avoid being sued if something goes wrong............

and recovery is longer therefore costing more......you need to pay for doctors and theatre staff as well which is much higher than a midwife pay........
i don't believe in patients choice.......otherwise i would have chosen to stay in hospital for a month after my third one for a rest.rather than go home the same day
23/11/2011 at 09:41

i don't believe in patients choice in this case.

a lot of the time patients don't know what's good for them and many won't be making an informed choice, it will become a fashion choice for the majority.

23/11/2011 at 09:59

I would not choose c section much as I had a fear of giving birth naturally I would've taken that option over surgery any day of the week.

I can not see the desire in wanting to be cut open. Sorry but that is not a nice place to be.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

23/11/2011 at 10:02

It does seem to be an odd decision.

Cesareans  have a life saving place for mum and baby but I can't see why someone would opt for major abdominal surgery when it wasn't medically necessary.

23/11/2011 at 10:14
My s-i-l had a terrible time when she was in labour with her first, but she was adamant she wasn't having a C-section. When she fell pregnant with the twins, she had to be persuaded a C-section was necessary. My s-i-l takes the easy route all the time, but she was very well aware that recovery from a C-section was long and difficult. I can't see many women opting for a caesar once they know they won't be able to drive for 6 weeks, or laugh.
23/11/2011 at 10:16
Allnew, twins don't always need to be delivered by c-section, it depends on how they are positioned amongst other things.
23/11/2011 at 10:20
Beebs - because of the horrible, horrible time my s-i-l had with her first, the medics were very reluctant to let her go through it again. We nearly lost her and she's been left with a quite serious medical condition, due to the massive haemorrhage she suffered. I think they'd have insisted on a C-section if had only been expecting one.
23/11/2011 at 10:23

the problem is a lot of mums-to-be aren't going to be making educated decisions on this, about what is good for them and what is good for the baby.

their education is from heat and hello magazines and general tabloid media which are constantly reporting about celebs being too posh to push and making out that c-section is the easy option. especially when they follow up with reports showing how quickly the celebs are back on their feet and back in shape.

for an independent informed decision the father should choose.  

seren nos    pirate
23/11/2011 at 10:25
I think given a choice many would go for the c section...........with techniques today the surgery is relatively minor and most are up and about in the next few days as normal......

i think faced with the possibility of 24 hours of pain and a simple op.many will choose the op.thinking it is the safest...........

i also think people have a much lower pain threshold than they used to have....we are protected form so much hardship and pain in life that we are scared of it........not realising the difference between good pain and bad pain.......
23/11/2011 at 10:26
Allnew obviously for you SiL it wasn't a choice but a necessity.
23/11/2011 at 10:28
Skotty - I'm not sure about that. A pregnant woman gets lots of medical attention during her pregnancy, as well as stuff like NCT. It's not like they turn up in the delivery suite 9 months after doing a home pregnancy test without having seen a doctor or midwife along the way.
23/11/2011 at 10:28
Seren,I disagree really strongly about being up and about in a few days as normal after a c-section. No driving for  6 weeks, potential difficulties for breastfeeding, no lifting of baby in car seat and if its not a first child then managing life with older ones.
1 to 20 of 95 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.