Women's boxing!

1 to 20 of 35 messages
09/08/2012 at 18:28
I like the idea of pro-celebrity boxing. James Corden v Mike Tyson. No rules and fight to the death.
09/08/2012 at 18:30
Womens can box a heck of a lot better than they can play football.
09/08/2012 at 20:03

I used to box at university but after some shoulder injuries I had to give it up. I used to love it and when you get two women together - it's normally a lot more aggressive than with men.

09/08/2012 at 20:09

A sport in which you aim to inflict physical harm on your opponents, and score an instant win by knocking them senseless, is not a sport. Boxing is basically a regulated form of pub brawling.

All the more so for women's boxing. It's just wrong. Neither it nor the men's version should be in the Olympics. In my ever so 'umble opinion, of course.

Feel free to flame

09/08/2012 at 20:22

Isn't there an upper age limit for amateur boxing - you might sneak under KK not sure what it is.    

09/08/2012 at 21:30

Boxing is definitely a sport! It takes vigourous training and it may sometimes not look it but incredicble skill, It can of course be viewed as brawling but I assure you it is not! Train in it for just a month and see how you feel lol.

09/08/2012 at 22:16
One month of training to feel lol?
09/08/2012 at 22:42

Just to see what they go through lol plus try the sparring out! 

ET7
09/08/2012 at 23:19
I wasn't sure about women's boxing but I've enjoyed it way more than the men's. They are tough gal's..agree with emmy_bug it is very aggressive..love it and I thought I wouldn't!
ET7
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
10/08/2012 at 08:10

Agreed - and I was interested to see Amir Khan said the women boxers would beat most of the men in the same weight category, they are more aggressive.

ET7
10/08/2012 at 09:10
Agreed.. Women's football is much better than it used to be and a lot of blokes out seem to agree. My OH has really enjoyed the women's football much more than the men's during these Olympics.
ET7
10/08/2012 at 09:38

I agree with Muttley. 

An activity where you have done very well if you manage to knock someone unconscious seems barbaric.  Whether it's men or women.

10/08/2012 at 09:40

Nicola Adams now eighth hardest woman in Leeds.

"Adams will now attempt to break into the Leeds top five with a bout against Pam from The Rose and Bastard in Roundhay, starting with the traditional month-long buildup of telling everybody on her estate that she’s going to get fucking knacked the next time she sees her."

Edited: 10/08/2012 at 09:41
10/08/2012 at 09:44

Yeah, consenting adults, plus in the grand scheme of dangerous sports it's not really that dangerous.  Plus, given the rules of amateur boxing with its point-scoring system, protective headgear and small number of rounds, does anyone ever actually get knocked out?  Good luck to 'em.

10/08/2012 at 09:46

Do you score an instant win for knocking out your opponent in Karate? 

I think any sports where you are trying to hurt someone leave something to be desired.

10/08/2012 at 10:10

I do see the argument about the underlying principle.  You win BMX races partly by avoiding crashing, not by deliberately trying to inflict pain on someone else.  For me though, the consenting adults + actual risk argument edges it out.

If you're a professional road cyclist, you WILL crash, and crashing hurts.  Collar bones get broken all the time - that doesn't happen very often in boxing.  It's genuinely one thing that puts me off about competitive (bunch) cycling compared to competitive running, but if others want to take part knowing the risks, that's fine.

Edited: 10/08/2012 at 10:11
10/08/2012 at 10:51

KK, yes, I think it is the underlying principle that puts me off.

The INTENTION is to strike (and therefore hurt) your opponent in boxing and (some?) martial arts.

10/08/2012 at 10:58

Wilkie and I seem to be agreeing with each other quite a lot lately.

I find this profoundly disturbing.

10/08/2012 at 11:24

Me too, Mutters! 

10/08/2012 at 11:29

olympic boxing is different from pro boxing. Points scoring wins the bout. I've watched some off the boxing and I havent seen a knock out.

You dont aim to hurt other people you aim to score points. If you want to judge sports on hurting opponents have a look at rugby. The aim is not to hurt people but if you regularly knock people down and cause physical damage within the rules of the game you will be a success. At least in boxing you know where the danger comes from and you can protect yourself from it. In rugby you can have a 20stone forward running into you from an unexpected angle. That's probably doing more damage than what happens in an olympic boxing ring.

The women boxers are incredible sports people. There isn't much evidence of cuts stopping fights, or women boxers winning by knock out. The winners seem to be the more skillful boxers, not the more powerful boxers.

1 to 20 of 35 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.