Would it be a good or bad thing for animals if we all became vegan overnight?

1 to 20 of 106 messages
kittenkat    pirate
24/04/2013 at 06:58

What would happen? Would species die out?

24/04/2013 at 08:25

Virtually all male calves would be killed and disposed of - no use for them. Similarly there would be no pigs - no use for them either. 

So basically, no, not such a good thing for animals. Better to give them a happy life before we eat them.

Edited: 24/04/2013 at 08:27
24/04/2013 at 08:35
I didn't realise that Vegans wanted to do that. The bastards
24/04/2013 at 09:02

There would be no cattle, no sheep, no poultry, veg and crops would be like gold dust and would be grown in any free area due to the massive need, so there would have to be control over Rabbits and Birds that feed on crops, so no foxes, it would need massive irrigation so we'd kill off the fish stocks, all there would be would be miserable pale weedy humans and insects - pass the burgers please 

24/04/2013 at 09:15

There would also probably be mass starvation as I doubt there is enough vegan food available to feed 6 billion people and it would take years to get the infrastructure in place.

Rafiki    pirate
24/04/2013 at 09:31

Nick - without getting too technical as I'm only on my first coffee - but it takes 10 times as much land to produce enough meat to feed one person as is required for crops to feed the same person (its called the Q10 law and is related to trophic levels). So there would be huge amounts of excess land for cultivation - this is one arguement that vegans put forward.

Now excuse me, my bacon is burning....

..... oh and the answer is 'No'.

24/04/2013 at 09:33

We'd all turn into horribly gaunt, plastic shoe wearing weirdos who wear jumpers knitted from their own hair.

Vegans are shit.

24/04/2013 at 09:40

No idea, but if we lose the bees we're definitely fucked.

Don't eat bees!

24/04/2013 at 09:42
Don Minquez wrote (see)

We'd all turn into horribly gaunt, plastic shoe wearing weirdos who wear jumpers knitted from their own hair.

Vegans are shit.

Hate those types of vegans, much prefer us lot who get on with it and don't make a big fuss about what were doing. I think rather than saying they're mental because they are vegan its much safer just to say they are a bit mental anyway.

24/04/2013 at 09:45

Maybe the food chain would be turned totally on its head. The rabbits would take over, reject their natual veganism and start hunting humans. There would be bands of them roaming around with automatic weapons while the vegan humans (who, for ethical reasons, couldn't possibly harm them) cowered in their homes in fear, waiting to to be killed and eaten by psychotic fluffy bunnies. 

Rafiki    pirate
24/04/2013 at 09:53

Screamapillar - this would never happen as we would be able to use the  Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch to kill the rabbits with the big teeth.......

Crash Hamster    pirate
24/04/2013 at 09:54
Rafiki wrote (see)

Nick - without getting too technical as I'm only on my first coffee - but it takes 10 times as much land to produce enough meat to feed one person as is required for crops to feed the same person (its called the Q10 law and is related to trophic levels). So there would be huge amounts of excess land for cultivation - this is one arguement that vegans put forward.

Now excuse me, my bacon is burning....

..... oh and the answer is 'No'.

I've always wondered about this (in a CBA to research it myself sort of way); does this land include places like Snowdonia, where watching someone trying to grow crops would be a comedy series? Furthermore, where do all the extra farmers come from? In short, I'm calling 'bullshit' on this 'fact' on any practical level.

I often eat vegetarian food; I find it goes well with meat.

24/04/2013 at 09:59
Rafiki wrote (see)

Screamapillar - this would never happen as we would be able to use the  Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch to kill the rabbits with the big teeth.......

That's the problem though - everyone is vegan, they aren't even allowed to eat eggs so they can't possibly kill the rabbits.

Virtual prize for anyone that can come up with a way for the humans to defeat the psycho bunnies.

(Then we will get together off-forum and plan the blockbuster movie)

24/04/2013 at 10:02

As a hypothetical question, undoubtedly if we ALL became vegan instantaneously, it would be pretty devastating for all concerned, both animals and humans. But eating  less meat is almost certainly to be very good for all concerned as well: less reliance on intensive farming; less resources consumed by food production; healthier diets (certainly in the west).

24/04/2013 at 10:02

I used to have a mate who was vegetarian but ate cheeseburgers because he thought they were made of cheese - or that was his story.

Mind you, that is a very long time ago.

24/04/2013 at 10:05

DF3 There would be no Chickens thereofre no eggs anyway, and the so called Q10 law is a perfect example of greenie bullshit, come up with a persuasive theory that can never be (or will never need to be) proven and make it into fact. The world has a shortage of Wheat right now and you're telling me it won't matter if we all eat grass, I think you've been smoking it.

We'd be better off turning to Cannibalism, now that would have  amore positive effect if it was done selectively, start first with just eating healthy repeat criminals only.

Crash Hamster    pirate
24/04/2013 at 10:06

Oh and where is the fertiliser for all the crops going to come from? I call bullshit, or at least cowshit, yet again.

24/04/2013 at 10:07
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

I dont get this business of vegans not eating eggs.

Chickens are going to lay eggs regardless of whether we eat them or not.

Because it's "exploitation" - apparently.

24/04/2013 at 10:10

Crash Hamster wrote (see)

Oh and where is the fertiliser for all the crops going to come from? I call bullshit, or at least cowshit, yet again.

Towns used to fertilise their suburban farms with ash from household fires. So we could do it if we burned vast quantities of coal. There might be a little flaw in that plan somewhere though.... 

24/04/2013 at 10:11

Surely vegetables are grown on exploited land?

I don't get people who don't do stuff like eating meat because of the "principle" of it all. Animals will still be killed regardless of whether I eat them or not. The only ones that would be safe are the ones that are ritually slaughtered on my behalf.

1 to 20 of 106 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.