Would you employ a truely obese person?

1 to 20 of 146 messages
20/10/2010 at 08:35

But if you employed someone and over the next 6 months they became truly obese would you try to get rid of them?

Personally, I'm afraid I wouldn't.  Health complications from true obesity would make me perceive them as a risk. 

20/10/2010 at 08:48
It would depend on the job I was employing them for and their skills.  If I wanted someone to work in confined spaces then probably not.  If it was a desk job and they were the best person for the job then yes I would.
GTC
20/10/2010 at 08:51
If You ran a cicrcus and needed a tight rope walker then it would be a no.
GTC
20/10/2010 at 08:52

We're so short of space in our offices that I joke we can only recruit very small people (lucky I got in a while ago).

20/10/2010 at 08:53
I wouldn't employ someone who spelled truly with an e.
20/10/2010 at 08:54
If they were the best person for the job, why wouldn't I?
20/10/2010 at 08:54
M.ister W wrote (see)
I wouldn't employ someone who spelled truly with an e.

hahahaha!
20/10/2010 at 09:02
Yes I would
20/10/2010 at 09:05
i have done - she was the best person for the job i was interviewing for
seren nos    pirate
20/10/2010 at 09:12

Yes definitely if they had the skills.

when I started my last proper job.they took on three of us..........one very obese lady..one very skinny person..........and me in the middle..............

The skinny person left within a week as she had too many emotional problems that she couldn't cope with..........I managed over 10 years and left due to stress with kids................The obese person is still there after 20 years doing a cracking job..........

20/10/2010 at 09:20

yes of course. 

If it is a corollary, I wouldn't employ an anorexhic.  In my rather limited experience (one in real life and the rather droney on one this forum), their self loathing is entirely justified.

What about you, KK?  Given that last week you said you'd be ashamed to visit the doctor if you were overweight, I guess it's a "no!"?

20/10/2010 at 09:41

I thought bra size was the most crucial requirement when recruiting????

20/10/2010 at 09:42
Spit it out, Kittenkat...
20/10/2010 at 09:57
I employ several obese people - tons in fact. It's not an issue - mainly because Obese is a lot smaller than most people think. I have been obese myself and I was called curvy (although to be fair I thought I was enormous at a size 20).

I also work in the fattest town in the country (according to the daily record) which means that the work pool's average BMI is pretty high to start with.

It is perfectly possible to be fit and active and mobile and obese and I really cannot see why it would ever be a bar to working in the vast majority of jobs.

Or do you mean - do you employ someone who is so big they have mobility problems - akin to a disability? Because I am sure you know the route that takes you down - DDA here we come.

20/10/2010 at 09:59
kittenkat wrote (see)
BRT wrote (see)

I thought bra size was the most crucial requirement when recruiting????

That's me unemployed then!

I'm sure that Boss man would be able to find other redeeming qualities in you KK
20/10/2010 at 10:09

I would think hard about it. I have employed a fat person before and she was a nightmare - loads of emotional and personal hygeine issues (smelliest feet, intermitant deodorant use, gut falling out of ill-fitting clothes etc). She was also off sick, a lot, and most of the time I suspected her 'illness' was total fiction, ie she was never off sick for long enough to provide a sick certificate and it always seemed to be girly problems that she thought I'd flinch at asking about. She was completely deluded (I've mentioned her before - her idea of a diet was soup, bread, butter, no main course and then pudding).

Then again, I've also worked with a completely neurotic cow who was bulemic (sp sorry). She was the vainest most self obsessed individual I've ever known. I didn't recruit her but I would have happily sacked her.

If  was interviewing a larger person I would question them very carefully about their out of work activity and also check their previous sickness history. I probably would make sure they knew they were on probation too, but then I do that with everyone I recruit.

20/10/2010 at 10:24

I hear what you are saying KK.

I went for a gym induction a few years back and was shown around the gym by a fatty bum bum.  I hate to say but my initial thoughts were "well if it isn't good enough for you to use, it isn't good enough for me!" - especially given her sales skills were telling me how wonderful the equipment was! 

That aside, I do like fat women.  I've slept with no end of them at 3am after a night on the piss.

Crash Hamster    pirate
20/10/2010 at 10:28

Candy, is an anorexhic a thin person with a drink problem?

My gut reaction (sorry...) is to say 'no', but I actually employ two obese people, both of whom are damn good at their jobs and I wouldn't be without either of them.

I also employ people of different ethnicities and a registered disabled person. I'd love a fight with a discrimination tribunal, me

20/10/2010 at 10:35
I wouldn't employ a spastic.  They are just plain lazy.
20/10/2010 at 10:35
Oops, sorry, I mean a  scoper.
1 to 20 of 146 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.