Would you sign a Prenup before marriage?

Just curious as to all your views on this.....

21 to 34 of 34 messages
02/05/2013 at 17:35

i got married in April at the ripe old age of 24 i have no intentions of it ending at all 

everything ive bought or she has bought is now ours. we've got the same bank account even when one earns more than tother.

i always thought thats what marriage is all about. you are supposed to think of the future before you commit to such a big thing.

02/05/2013 at 17:49

Well, I don't know of anyone who's signed one after marriage. Boom boom.

02/05/2013 at 18:48

It never even occurred to me when I got married, but then the marriage wasn't that important to me.  What was important was the committment that we made to each other irrespective of whether we got married or not.  In many ways we still have that committment even though we are getting divorced.

The same would still apply if I was to meet someone else now.  I have no intention of getting married however my personal circumstances have changed.  When I met my husband we both had nothing.  Now I (will) have some assets such as a house that I would be reluctant to pass over to a new partner - not because I don't want a partner to have them, but because I may chose to leave my assets to my biological family who have been around all of my life, rather than a partner that has been around for a few years.  If a prenup helped to clarify the financial situation in unforeseen circumstances (such as if I fell into a long term coma) then I would be interested.

Although its all hypothetical for me anyway.

Dark Vader    pirate
02/05/2013 at 18:53

Are these things even legal in the UK..?

I doubt whether they make any difference to those at the lower end of the financial status...  however, to those at the upper end there is quite possibly a good commonsense argument in their favour.  There are countless legal battles over spouces wanting a massive share of the wealth despite having only been married for a short time and had no real role in the creation of that wealth.  To some people simply 'being married' seems a good enough argument for wanting a large chunk of the kitty.

Personally, I don't like that kind of behaviour...  

02/05/2013 at 19:04

I would probably assess our age gap and the size of her tits before making a final call.

02/05/2013 at 19:13

If I was the wealthier of the two by any decent amount yes 100%

02/05/2013 at 20:32

Make a new will.

seren nos    pirate
02/05/2013 at 20:39

the arguement is that if you marry someone and give them and any children a certain level of lifestyle.....then if you get bored then you should provide for them to still live the lifestyle that you introduced them to........

I can see it to a point but i think that it probably goes to far......but if you marry someone half your age with no money but a cute butt and little brains then you deserve to be taken to the cleaners

02/05/2013 at 20:43
Dark Vader wrote (see)

Nope, well sort of, but basically no. If that sounds wishy washy well the law is on them as well.

02/05/2013 at 21:40

There are more effective ways of achieving the same objectives. You could create a trust to hold property rather than rely on a prenup, for example. 

02/05/2013 at 21:40

I think the point is there is no law on them, it's just a matter of how lawyers argue their case for you.

Anyways, I'm happy with my 'letter' that I signed. None of us know what the future holds. It always amazes me when people are so confident that their relationship will not end! If only life was that certain. 

02/05/2013 at 22:00

Life is a long time.  Hubby and I were together 20 years and neither of us ever thought we would divorce.  But over long periods of time things change in ways that you could never predict.

03/05/2013 at 09:31
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)
Dark Vader wrote (see)

Nope, well sort of, but basically no. If that sounds wishy washy well the law is on them as well.

Actually courts are now more likely to pay attention to them and give them weight as long as certain criteria are met. But they have to be written very carefully or they can get tossed straight out the window

Thanks everyone for you views. It's interesting to see how varied the opinions are I've always been of the mindset that marriage is for life and If you commit to it then you shouldn't be thinking about get out clauses. My OH did suggest a prenup and my initial reaction wasn't very good, however after some thought I am considering it due to our circumstances.... 

Edited: 03/05/2013 at 09:49
Dark Vader    pirate
03/05/2013 at 13:25
seren nos wrote (see)

the arguement is that if you marry someone and give them and any children a certain level of lifestyle.....then if you get bored then you should provide for them to still live the lifestyle that you introduced them to........

I can see it to a point but i think that it probably goes to far......but if you marry someone half your age with no money but a cute butt and little brains then you deserve to be taken to the cleaners

I don't think the potential problem is so much about 'getting bored' with someone...  the problems arise when someone marries a wealthy person for their money...  then, has a few years of married life and decides to get out and exploit the situation by taking a chunk of money with them....

So..   I think its perfectly fair for the wealthy person to protect their assets against this...

Heather Mills is a perfect example of this...  she was only married to Paul McCartney for 4 years and yet her divorce claims were exceptional....   she still got a generous amount, but nothing like what she asked for originally...    

Edited: 03/05/2013 at 13:29

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 34 of 34 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.