Would you want to know when and how you will die?

8 messages
15/08/2013 at 19:19

Really?

You have an inkling you might want to know if your death was going to be prolonged, agonising or terrifying?

15/08/2013 at 19:26

Yes, people with terminal illness generally do.

15/08/2013 at 20:26

I am thinking... people want to know that so that they would finally get the right or the go-ahead to actually start living this life.

How many times have I had that conversation: "If you knew you had a month to live, what would you do with the time you have?" 

Most people are so desperate to actually live and enjoy what this mundane life has to offer, but for some reason they don't. Then they play with the thought that if they knew for definite when this ends, it would make them actually live this life...

I would say no. I don't know what tomorrow has to offer. I only ever have this moment. Who knows about anything else. Live now

15/08/2013 at 22:00

If I knew I had a month to live there is a lot of good things I would do, but also a lot of not-so-good things that I would save for the last few days.

16/08/2013 at 21:35

im pretty sure i'll be murdered.

i have lots of enemies.

JvR
16/08/2013 at 21:46
Elli of the North wrote (see)

I am thinking... people want to know that so that they would finally get the right or the go-ahead to actually start living this life.

Live now

Too true Elli. We only have one life (pardon to those that believe in reincarnation) so we should make the most of it and stop wasting it.

It took me until we'd dealt with my son's cancer and had to watch far too many children dying of cancer and similar diseases in hospital before I started living life properly and stopped worrying about my career.

As for knowing when I'm going to die, I already do. I'm planning on being the one that switches off the lights when the universe ends Ain't planning on going before then.

17/08/2013 at 00:36

My husband was given 2 - 5 months. OK, so we didn't know exactly when he would die but we knew how. It gave us time to plan and him time to say goodbye to those people that were important to him. Knowing gave us time together.
He couldn't do all those bucket list thing because he was too ill, so we just spent time together.
He knew that the time had come when he died. I'm glad that his pain was short. My mother took years to die, slowly, painfully. I'm glad that neither my husband or I had to go through what my family went through when my mother was ill and died.

He always believed that he would die young, I believe that I will live until I am horribly old and grey. I'm going to be a scfi experiment and live into a new age.

17/08/2013 at 18:53

thats so sad, i really dont know how i'd cope with finding out myself or my partner had 2-5 months, i guess its one of those things that you can never know how you would deal with until you have to. 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.