Writing stuff down.

18 messages
kittenkat    pirate
25/07/2013 at 11:53

I think you either do or you don't, it's one of those personality things.

Do you keep a journal or a blog or some such? I'm strongly willing myself to write stuff down at the moment, but think that a beautiful leather bound journal might be the way to go rather than online.

Are you a stuff writer? And what do you get from it?

I must admit that this urge isn't new to me, I have a whole heap of empty journals scattered around the house!

25/07/2013 at 12:13

I write creatively when I have the time.

I kept a diary when I was younger but not now. It got read once without my permission and I think that put me off putting anything down on real paper.

25/07/2013 at 12:19

I don't write things down.

I keep a record of my runs and rides, but just of times and distances.  No other information.

It would be very dull stuff for anyone else, that's for sure!

JvR
25/07/2013 at 12:20

I have a blog but I also use a journal.

I find it a useful way to work through things sometimes.

kittenkat    pirate
25/07/2013 at 12:26
Screamapillar wrote (see)

I kept a diary when I was younger but not now. It got read once without my permission and I think that put me off putting anything down on real paper.

Reading through the diary I kept in my teens was hysterical. I was SO dramatic.

25/07/2013 at 12:30

I think we need to see some extracts, KK.

kittenkat    pirate
25/07/2013 at 12:37

I've hidden it too well from my kids. I do remember saying that one of the boys in the sixth form was going to grow into a dirty old man that flashed in parks. I never checked out if that became true.

25/07/2013 at 12:41

I have kept diaries in the past. I tore them up and used them as raw material when I did my degree. I kept some extracts and bound them into a small book along with other stuff that I kept like notes from friends etc.

Had to keep journals when studying, since then I just haven't had the desire much as I've tried.

Have forums to write things down in now, and FB.

I often write long responses that I never post.

Would like to keep another journal, prefer visual diaries but do use words.

kittenkat    pirate
25/07/2013 at 12:44
widow hog-mouse wrote (see)

Have forums to write things down in now, and FB.

Well this is what got me thinking about it, if I've lost 8? years of forum posts because of the tech issues here, forums aren't proving very good if you want to keep stuff.

25/07/2013 at 13:15
kittenkat wrote (see)
Screamapillar wrote (see)

Reading through the diary I kept in my teens was hysterical. I was SO dramatic.

I still have mine somewhere - possibly in the loft 

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
25/07/2013 at 13:21

I have kept a written diary for over 20 years, they are all on a shelf behind me in my study...

I also have my last 15 years worth of training logs ( I use the Nathan one)

and I have several pocket journals that I take when we have been travelling 

25/07/2013 at 13:23

I kept a journal betwee 1998 and 2006. I sometimes think I should start up again becasue it's quite interesting to go back and see how much you've forgotton. When I went to uni I got round the other people reading it thing by writing the whole thing in code. Is sometimes hard to decipher when I'd write after drinking and get the code wrong!

I stopped because the books generally ended up being an out pouring of feelings, as I tended to write stuff when I was annoyed or upset about something. When I read back it made me seem far more miserable that I actually was. Also I tended to write stuff down when I was on my own late at night. When I moved in with my boyfriend I lost that time so gradually stopped writing ever.

Nurse Ratched    pirate
25/07/2013 at 16:46

My dad kept a diary every single day from 1958 until a week before he died in 2009. They are a wonderful thing for us to have inherited and I love reading them. Not full of deep personal stuff, just day-to-day things and significant family events.  And the weather!

Edited: 25/07/2013 at 16:47
kittenkat    pirate
25/07/2013 at 17:22

I've sometimes thought about doing a 'Letters to my Daughters' journal; just a straightforward, shit will happen, broken hearts will mend type thing. Also don't try and pour oil into your car via the dipstick hole you morons.

25/07/2013 at 18:59

I only write things down in my blog for the benefit of others.  I don't keep a diary as I found it made me focus on the negative things too much.

I find that chatting to friends is a better way of getting things clear in my head.  I guess a lot of that is now done by email or FB so it is written in a sense.

Very very rarely I might write things in a Word document to help me see things in a different light and empty my head.  These documents never get saved as once they have been written they have served their purpose and I know I will never want to look back at them

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
25/07/2013 at 20:19

So I write this letter That  I'll never send

Just so I remember The beauty of the end

And I write this letter To my long lost friend

So it stays with me forever,The beauty of the end.

Falling never hurts but landing does.

26/07/2013 at 11:00

SuperCaz wrote (see)

Very very rarely I might write things in a Word document to help me see things in a different light and empty my head.  These documents never get saved as once they have been written they have served their purpose and I know I will never want to look back at them

I find that keeping a journal is one of the best ways of personal development. However, like you said above, it is the writing rather than the reading.  I rarely go back and read old entries.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
26/07/2013 at 11:00

I keep a small pocket diary but it's really just a training log, although I do note down things I need to remember, like appointments. I've got a few years worth of training notes and find it helpful to re-read when working on a training plan, I can see what worked in the past and maybe more importantly, what didn't really work for me.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
18 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.