WTF is happening

Who is keeping an eye on this country

201 to 220 of 564 messages
25/06/2013 at 13:31

I maintain that it should not put me out of pocket

25/06/2013 at 13:36

You can maintain it all you like, I don't think anyone is going to agree with you.

25/06/2013 at 13:38

Hang 'im.  Contempt of court M'lud.  25 years in jail 

25/06/2013 at 13:40

How would it put you out of pocket?  And why, when the rest of us are expected to do our legal duty, should you be exempt?  Why should 'volunteer' be drafted in, and what about the expense they would incur on presumably no wage, since they clearly have the time to volunteer?

25/06/2013 at 13:58

I was set to lose out to the tune of approx £1500 for the fortnight and significantly more if it dragged on, I had started work with a new employer who would not fund my absence as it had not been raised prior to my starting work and was set to be in my first 6 months. Would you pay the best part of £2000 for the privilege?

25/06/2013 at 14:02
Runnin man wrote (see)

I was set to lose out to the tune of approx £1500 for the fortnight and significantly more if it dragged on, I had started work with a new employer who would not fund my absence as it had not been raised prior to my starting work and was set to be in my first 6 months. Would you pay the best part of £2000 for the privilege?

The privilege of doing your duty as a citizen of this country ?  or the sort of Daily Mail reader who shouts a lot, But hasn't got the back bone to stand up and be counted ?

25/06/2013 at 14:04
Runnin man wrote (see)

That would be an excellent reason to defer service but not completely excuse you; I like to think I am a slippery little f**** but I am minor league to him!

If it could have been done I am sure he would have done it!

And, as I said he was self employed..... it must have cost a mint...

Edited: 25/06/2013 at 14:05
25/06/2013 at 14:15
Runnin man wrote (see)

As I have said, you can argue your case if the trial is going to last more than 2 weeks. They are very sympathetic to people who can't do longer than that. I know a self employed person who was let off a three month fraud case because she would have lost all her clients. 

At whatever stage in your employment you are called to do jury service your employer cannot refuse your attendance without very good cause and they have to explain why. "inconvenience" is not enough.

But I suspect it never got that far because you would have discovered that - you just wormed your way out of it at an early stage out of pure self interest.

25/06/2013 at 14:19

Yes I can see for self-employed it would be even harder, and that's not fair to expect him to just take it on the chin. So for all the holier than thou attitude if jury service was made compulsory but people would have to pay £50 per day, how many would say yes. 

25/06/2013 at 14:22

They wouldn't so why mention it, even hypothetically? 

25/06/2013 at 14:23

You can claim a certain amount for loss of earnings through the court, if your employer won't give you paid leave. Or, since you implied the issue was that you hadn't been there for 6 months at the time (and presumably your employer would have paid you after that period), you could have deferred your jury service to a later date.

I would love to do jury service... I've been waiting for years to get asked, and nothing!

25/06/2013 at 14:24

Good point Julie, I forgot about that. You could also have deferred - but you didn't.

25/06/2013 at 14:31

So do you get paid for jury service? is this correct? as it appears that in this case no pay was available whats the truth

25/06/2013 at 14:38

https://www.gov.uk/giving-staff-time-off-jury-service/paying-staff-on-jury-service

if your employer doesn't pay you, you can claim from the courts for loss of earnings, including travel. So you shouldn't be out of pocket 

25/06/2013 at 16:24

I read that, it looks like if your company doesn't pay you (and they are not obliged) you can claim a loss of earnings allowance which is limited although it doesnt say the limit. this means if you earn a grand a week you will lose out financially, this cant be right can it

25/06/2013 at 16:39

At the time of my jury service I was having a poor time at work. The two week break did me and a few of my fellow jurors the power of good. Due to the rubbish wage I was paid at the time I came away with a good profit.

25/06/2013 at 16:43

I still think that going away from trial by ordeal was a bad idea, quick, simple, cheap, relatively fool proof....

25/06/2013 at 17:01

The limit is something like £65 per day for up to 10 days (minimum wage, essentially), then £130 per day for each day after that. Plus about £12 on top for food.

If you don't work but would need to pay for, say, additional child care, the claim can go towards that instead.

So no, that's probably not going to cover most people's entire salary for 2 weeks - Although it's not compulsory, I think many (most?) employers will either continue payment or top-up beyond what can be claimed from the courts...as Runnin Man implied his company would do, if he wasn't so new to the job.

Nick, would you propse something different?

If jurors were to be "paid", where would you set a limit? What would be a tidy sum to one person may still not cover someone else's usual salary. The potential for corruption would be high, and the financial burden lead to jury trials being un-sustainable.

If jury duty was optional, you'd end up with a skewed representation weighted towards the unemployed, retired or wealthy.

25/06/2013 at 17:18

How about putting the high profile cases on prime time Saturday night TV and getting the public to do a phone vote ? 

25/06/2013 at 19:07
Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

How about putting the high profile cases on prime time Saturday night TV and getting the public to do a phone vote ? 

Ex Con Factor?

Britain's Got Form?

The Patsy?

The Only Way Is Clink?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.