X Factor contestants..

21 to 30 of 30 messages
24/09/2012 at 09:53
Where is the talent in churning out someone else's songs over and over? In the end someone who is good at Karaoke will win and we will also end up with another boring boy/girl band, who despite not winning, will sell better than the winner. A couple of the more eccentric ones will feature on a few games shows for a while. Sorry if I spoiled the plot for anyone.
24/09/2012 at 10:04

A lot of bands started out churning out other people's songs - the Beatles, The Who - there's a story about the Rolling Stones in the 1960s turning up to a club in Manchester and the DJ Roger Eagle playing the original versions of their entire first album for a bit of one upmanship.  

I think it's the same with kids and ambitions - people have always decried the attitudes of the following generation.   Personally I don't think we can hold up the 1970s as an era of hard work compared to today - although when it comes to working on the bins maybe it was - I did one summer when you had to carry the bins down to the lorry - none of this wheelie bin nonsense - now that was hard work.

24/09/2012 at 10:16

I rarely watch X Factor and can never sit through a whole episode without thinking about the TV researchers in 'Chart Throb' sorting all the applicant's videos and dividing them into blingers, clingers and mingers.

I know that I love Strictly, so I'm not going to say that I hate all reality TV, but I do hate the way the producers of X Factor blatantly manipulate the contestants and the audience. If drinking before an audition is such a no-no, then why did the cameras follow her around recording her getting drunk? Don't tell me they don't have security or people to enforce the rules. Of course they do, they also have producers hissing in the ear of the judges saying "this will make good tv, pretend to be scandalised when she comes on", and to be honest, the standard of most X Factor contestants is so poor you'd think they had all been drinking.

Why do all singers have to show that they are versatile enough to take on any genre? Makes me think that if X Factor accidentally discovered the next Jimi Hendrix they would take away his guitar and then make him cover a bloody Mariah Carey song.

Roll on next weekend is all I can say, give me the sequins any day!

24/09/2012 at 10:18

I don't think you spoiled anything, it's an obvious concept, and to be honest I can be quite entertained if I'm out and someone is belting out Karaoke or bashing on instruments, I prefer to see someone who is not quite as polished as some of them. I  personally wouldn't pay buttons to see the likes of U2 appear like Ants in a stadium anymore, but this idea that you can make a star is out of hand.

On the other bin man issue it's not even the hard work, it's the scarcity or not of the people willing to do it.

24/09/2012 at 10:44
I can't believe that popsider likes X-factor more than bands like The Who. The Beatles might have learned their chops playing Good Golly Miss Molly but they didn't appear live on TV every week when they were doing it.. Totally ridic to compare learning your trade to instant karaoke stardom.
24/09/2012 at 12:43

To be honest I'd rather someone covered a Little Richard or Bo Diddley song than sang some crap they wrote themselves.   

24/09/2012 at 13:37

Surely if you really thought you had a chance to make it as a singer/band and making/perfoming music meant that much to you, you wouldn't go anywhere near X-Factor. My wife and 10yr old daughter watch it and the odd bit I've seen makes me cringe; it's embarrassing.

24/09/2012 at 13:50
Who is forcing you to watch it though? It's commercial tv, not licence payers' money being spent. If people want to watch it let them. All the contestants get to read the contract, they have free will whether to sign it or not.
24/09/2012 at 14:34

I'm not sure that all of them CAN read ...

24/09/2012 at 14:44

plus they'd sign their life away for 5 minutes on TV.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 30 of 30 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.